Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:32
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 29, 2014

I recently received an add about Passolo 2015.

Made me wonder, is SDL coming with Studio 2015? Has anybobody more information about this?

[Edited at 2014-10-29 22:07 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Most probably Studio 2016 Oct 29, 2014

I have no bullet-proof evidence for this, but with Studio's two-year release cycle I don't expect a new major release before 2016, or perhaps Q4 of 2015.

Ana Sofia Correia
Ana Sofia Correia  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:32
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
SDL confirms: SDL Trados Studio 2015 is coming... Apr 13, 2015

https://www.facebook.com/sdltrados

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Whoopy! Apr 13, 2015

I just upgraded to 2014, and now I can upgrade again?

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
But do you really want to? Apr 14, 2015

Looks like you can, but to me it looks like it mainly would be SDL who should chear, since it means more money to fork out for the users. I've been using Trados freelance 2007 for a number of years, but I gave in to change over to Studio 2014 because of the pressure from some of the agencies that I work for, who also in the end decided it would be better to change to Studio.

Studio is not a cheap investment, and so I hope the agencies wait at least a few years before they decide to
... See more
Looks like you can, but to me it looks like it mainly would be SDL who should chear, since it means more money to fork out for the users. I've been using Trados freelance 2007 for a number of years, but I gave in to change over to Studio 2014 because of the pressure from some of the agencies that I work for, who also in the end decided it would be better to change to Studio.

Studio is not a cheap investment, and so I hope the agencies wait at least a few years before they decide to upgrade and ask their translators to do the same.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:32
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Should be good for a few years yet Apr 14, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:
Studio is not a cheap investment, and so I hope the agencies wait at least a few years before they decide to upgrade and ask their translators to do the same.

I suspect that won't happen for several years. I have no plans to upgrade unless the new version has features that would immediately contribute to my productivity in a meaningful fashion.

I would love advanced editing features, for example, that let me navigate within large segments more easily.

I agree that Studio is expensive in absolute terms. On the other hand, amortised over 5 years, the yearly expense is trivial compared to the income from a single decent job.

Regards
Dan

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Any detailed information? Apr 14, 2015

Has anybody found any detailed information about what the update brings? I'm hoping that this time eliminating some of the long-standing bugs and shortcomings has been given priority above new shiny gimmicks...

Jesse Good
Jesse Good
Japan
Local time: 07:32
Japanese to English
Trados 2015 coming soon Apr 16, 2015

http://www.sdl.com/cxc/language/translation-productivity/trados-studio/coming-soon.html

I couldn't find a release date or pricing yet though. Still a bit surprised they went from 2011 → 2014 → 2015.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree Apr 16, 2015

I agree with jtg7681, a strange order indeed.

SDL 2015? Sounds like the programm is already outdated by release.

[Edited at 2015-04-16 11:17 GMT]

Algis Masys
Algis Masys
Canada
Local time: 15:32
Member (2009)
English to Lithuanian
Upgrade, upgrade! Apr 16, 2015

I have a business idea for SDL. Why bother with version years?

They could produce month releases of Studio: this would mean even more upgrade purchases. Or they could start charging for the hotfixes / service packs.

Now with the jokes aside, there are still a lot of bugs to fix in Studio 2014, such as XLZ file processing (Studio is changing their structure, so other tools do not recognize them later), item creation (e. g. when I try to create a folder inside a project,
... See more
I have a business idea for SDL. Why bother with version years?

They could produce month releases of Studio: this would mean even more upgrade purchases. Or they could start charging for the hotfixes / service packs.

Now with the jokes aside, there are still a lot of bugs to fix in Studio 2014, such as XLZ file processing (Studio is changing their structure, so other tools do not recognize them later), item creation (e. g. when I try to create a folder inside a project, it reacts only after the second request) and permissions (somehow new Studio projects and files do not inherit sharing properties).

Also, the Studio 2014 creates another folder structure compared to 2011, so this hardly adds law and order to the translators' computers.

So while I was very enthusiastic to upgrade 2011->2014, I'm not really sure if I will be this time.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
You need to think... Apr 16, 2015

jtg7681 wrote:

Still a bit surprised they went from 2011 → 2014 → 2015.

... 2007 -> 2009 -> 2011 first. Then we though 13 was unlucky so skipped it

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And the lucky number is...... Apr 16, 2015

2016!

Next topic.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Sounds to me... Apr 16, 2015

Algis Masys wrote:

.... such as XLZ file processing (Studio is changing their structure, so other tools do not recognize them later)

...item creation (e. g. when I try to create a folder inside a project, it reacts only after the second request) and permissions (somehow new Studio projects and files do not inherit sharing properties).

First point is more likely you have just not disabled the option that stores segmentation information in the translated file. Not all tools are able to handle this, but it is optional.

Second point... I don't follow you at all I'm afraid. Can you provide a simpler example for me?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Meyers (X)
Meyers (X)
English to Dutch
update fee from Studio 2014 Apr 16, 2015

What is you purchased Studio 2014 in 2014?

Can you skip the update this year and pay the yearly update fee only in 2016, and get all the updated made in 2015 and 2016?

Algis Masys
Algis Masys
Canada
Local time: 15:32
Member (2009)
English to Lithuanian
Thanks Paul Apr 16, 2015

First point is more likely you have just not disabled the option that stores segmentation information in the translated file. Not all tools are able to handle this, but it is optional.

Actually I have left the default setting ("Do not store segmentation information in the translated file" unchecked). But I will experiment with this. Thanks!

Second point... I don't follow you at all I'm afraid. Can you provide a simpler example for me?

OK, I'll try to explain. So in the "Project folders" field (left pane, when you open a project), you can right click to open a context menu, and there's an item called "Add New Folder". I often use it to add subfolder to a project. However, the first time I select this item, nothing happens. And the folder is created only when I do this for the second time. Then it works okay, but only until I restart the Studio.

Now the inheritance thing. To synchronize my desktop and laptop, I'm sharing their Documents folders and copying the content back and forth when I need it (e. g. when I need to travel). However, when I create a project in Studio or add new documents to it, the files which are copied to the Studio folder sporadically become shared with nobody (with the padlock on their icons), although the parent folder is shared. This translates into troubles with synchronization between PCs.

[Edited at 2015-04-16 13:42 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2015?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »