Thread poster: Elenka Ganeva
Elenka Ganeva
Elenka Ganeva  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:13
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Oct 31, 2014

The Client requires a cleaned up rtf file. Instead of target, Studio saves the source text.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:13
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What kind of a file is it? Oct 31, 2014

Elenka Ganeva wrote:
The client requires a cleaned up RTF file. Instead of target, Studio saves the source text.

What kind of a source file is it?

Did you remember to mark all segments as "translated"?

Elenka Ganeva
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Studio 2011: "Save target as" does not work Oct 31, 2014

Source file is RTF.
All segments were marked as translated. Then the bilingual file was reviewed. There were 3 segments with comments. I changed them according to the instructions and returned the bilingual file. Now the Client informed me that they cannot clean up the file and asked me to do this.

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 21:13
Japanese to English
Not being able to clean up RTFs: Word comments can cause this... Oct 31, 2014

Hi Elenka,

1) Regarding the 3 segments with comments: were those comments created in Word originally, or in Studio 2011?

The reason I ask is because the comment function in Word causes a lot of problems with TRADOS; whenever I have a file that won't save correctly as Target it is invariably due to comments that were added in Word.

This may not be relevant in your case (I have no idea what your client's internal file-handling process is), but if the comment
... See more
Hi Elenka,

1) Regarding the 3 segments with comments: were those comments created in Word originally, or in Studio 2011?

The reason I ask is because the comment function in Word causes a lot of problems with TRADOS; whenever I have a file that won't save correctly as Target it is invariably due to comments that were added in Word.

This may not be relevant in your case (I have no idea what your client's internal file-handling process is), but if the comments were added using Word, then one fix might be to delete/remove the comments, save/close the file, then open it again in TRADOS and try to save as Target. If the comments are from Word, then I suspect your client is using "Export for external review" which a whole other ball of wax!

2) The other consideration is if any TRADOS tags got messed up or deleted when you made the final changes, then that could also cause problems.

There are too many variables involved to give you any better suggestion, but please let us know if/how you resolve this so we can all learn from it!

Michael

[Edited at 2014-10-31 08:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-10-31 08:36 GMT]
Collapse

Elenka Ganeva
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Studio 2011: "Save target as" does not work Oct 31, 2014

Thank you, Michael.
1) I deleted the comments, confirmed review, saved, closed. Opened the file again. No positive result.
I do not know how the Client proceeds.
2) There were no tags in the segments I corrected.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 14:13
English to Czech
+ ...
Possible source of error Oct 31, 2014

I wonder how Studio was able to open a bilingual RTF anyway? Did you try converting the bilingual RTF to DOCX and working on the DOCX then?

[Upraveno: 2014-10-31 12:44 GMT]

Deirdre Brophy (X)
Deirdre Brophy (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to Irish
+ ...
Temporary files deleted by anti-virus software? Oct 31, 2014

Are you getting any error message such as:
"Failed to save target content: Unable to locate original file: Please copy the original file into the directory above and try again."

If so, it could be that your anti-virus software has deleted a temporary Trados file needed to create the target file.

You can turn off the delete temporary files function in your anti-virus software for future projects, but apparently the only workaround is to use the TM to work repopulat
... See more
Are you getting any error message such as:
"Failed to save target content: Unable to locate original file: Please copy the original file into the directory above and try again."

If so, it could be that your anti-virus software has deleted a temporary Trados file needed to create the target file.

You can turn off the delete temporary files function in your anti-virus software for future projects, but apparently the only workaround is to use the TM to work repopulate the translation again, unless you can use your anti-virus software to recover the temporary file.

There is an SDL article on this topic here:
http://kb.sdl.com/?portalid=23&articleid=3309#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:3309
Collapse

Elenka Ganeva
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Studio 2011: "Save target as" does not work Nov 2, 2014

I solved the problem.
I opened the first bilingual file, which I first delivered as a Return Package, did the corrections there and then "Save target as" worked correctly. Obviously, there was something wrong caused by the comments.
Thanks to all of you who tried to help me.
Good luck!

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 21:13
Japanese to English
Those darn comments! Nov 3, 2014

Hey, Elenka, that's great!

I'm so glad you solved the problem!
I'll keep this instance in mind for the next time I run into this issue.

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: "Save target as" does not work

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »