General Question - Client Track Changes - Is there way to keep them?
Thread poster: d5t6
d5t6
d5t6
Canada
Local time: 21:54
Oct 31, 2014

Hi there !

Maybe the subject has been discussed somewhere else, but all I could find in the forum were questions about either track changes in Studio OR how to remove them in the source document.

So, here it is...

Is there a way to KEEP the track changes made by the client in a Word file?
I know Studio deletes them automatically, same thing with MemoQ.
Does anybody know a way to actually keep those track changes in the translated files? And I'm
... See more
Hi there !

Maybe the subject has been discussed somewhere else, but all I could find in the forum were questions about either track changes in Studio OR how to remove them in the source document.

So, here it is...

Is there a way to KEEP the track changes made by the client in a Word file?
I know Studio deletes them automatically, same thing with MemoQ.
Does anybody know a way to actually keep those track changes in the translated files? And I'm not talking about a "Studio-only" solution... any solution is welcomed.

I Googled hard to find an answer, but my Google-fu failed me.
I searched for some kind of software, a macro, SOMETHING... but I couldn't find anything.

My client is clear on this, he NEEDS his track changes in the translated file, so I'm stuck with SDLX because it's the only translation tool I know that can keep them, but SDLX is so, SOOO old, I'm looking for a way to discard SDLX and just do it in Studio.

Thank you!
Collapse

Châu Nguyễn
Châu Nguyễn  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 08:54
Member (2012)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Work around using MS Word's Compare function Nov 3, 2014

Word has a function called "Compare" that might help you work around this problem.

1. Export the file you translated prior to client review.

2. Export the file revised by the client.

3. Open Word > Review > Compare

4. Choose your files accordingly

5. Enjoy a compare file with track changes

I hope this answers your question.

[Edited at 2014-11-03 12:27 GMT]

d5t6
d5t6
Canada
Local time: 21:54
TOPIC STARTER
More info Nov 3, 2014

I guess I should have mentioned it more clearly, but the track changes are in ENGLISH, and then the whole file is translated to French, but the track changes stays in English!

So, basically, the workflow is like this :

1- DOC file received from the client with his ENGLISH track changes
2- PREprocess with SDLX
3- Translate/Review/QA
4- POSTprocess with SDLX + Proofing
5- Send the translated file, with the ENGLISH tra
... See more
I guess I should have mentioned it more clearly, but the track changes are in ENGLISH, and then the whole file is translated to French, but the track changes stays in English!

So, basically, the workflow is like this :

1- DOC file received from the client with his ENGLISH track changes
2- PREprocess with SDLX
3- Translate/Review/QA
4- POSTprocess with SDLX + Proofing
5- Send the translated file, with the ENGLISH track changes, to the client

The Compare tool from Word won't give me back my track changes because the whole file will be a big track change :-\

That's why I'm looking for a solution for this, because Studio just deletes everything before preprocessing the file, while SDLX doesn't. I'm pretty sure there's a macro out there that can do that, but I just can't find it

[Edited at 2014-11-03 14:37 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 10:54
Japanese to English
Do-able as of Studio 2011 SP2, but only with ".docx" files! Nov 4, 2014

d5t6,

This appears do-able as of Studio 2011 SP2. See the following file for an overview of the process.

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2012/07/26/making-use-of-the-studio-track-changes-features/

NOTE: what you are looking for is the *third* option (about half-way down the page), starting at, quote:
... See more
d5t6,

This appears do-able as of Studio 2011 SP2. See the following file for an overview of the process.

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2012/07/26/making-use-of-the-studio-track-changes-features/

NOTE: what you are looking for is the *third* option (about half-way down the page), starting at, quote:

"There are new options on the DOCX filetype like this:

These options allow you to decide how you handle word documents that contain tracked changes.

You can ignore them, and then you will get the same effect you get now if you try to open a word document containing tracked changes. The solution being, remove all the tracked changes first so you are working on the final document.

You can apply the changes first, and with this option all the changes will be accepted and you will be working on the document as changed.

The third option is the one we’re talking about here. This option allows you to open the document and see the changes in the same way they were reflected in Word."

The only caveat is that this only works for Word 2007-2013 (.DOCX) files!
NOT Word 2000-2003 (.doc) files!

I hope this helps.
Michael
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

General Question - Client Track Changes - Is there way to keep them?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »