Studio 2011 editor: "Move to next/previous segment" not working
Thread poster: PapagenoX
PapagenoX
PapagenoX
Local time: 00:54
Nov 18, 2014

Hello all,

I can't understand why the "Move to next segment" and "Move to previous segment" commands don't work for me (they appear under the Edit menu), whether I use the mouse to select them or use the CTRL+down arrow or CTRL+up arrow shortcuts. Nothing happens in either case.

Context: I'm trying to just move from one segment to the next or previous in a bilingual file (.sdlxliff) with tracked changes. Not necessarily trying to accept the current segment or change t
... See more
Hello all,

I can't understand why the "Move to next segment" and "Move to previous segment" commands don't work for me (they appear under the Edit menu), whether I use the mouse to select them or use the CTRL+down arrow or CTRL+up arrow shortcuts. Nothing happens in either case.

Context: I'm trying to just move from one segment to the next or previous in a bilingual file (.sdlxliff) with tracked changes. Not necessarily trying to accept the current segment or change the memory, just trying to compare what's in the segments with what's in the memory, but these commands just aren't working (and would be extremely useful if they were). Using the up/down arrow keys alone just moves the cursor up/down one line at a time, so in a multi-line TU it just moves within the TU, which is not what I need here.

Fairly standard Windows 7 64 bit OS, nothing exotic in my setup.

Any ideas?
Collapse

PapagenoX
PapagenoX
TOPIC STARTER
Anyone? Nov 22, 2014

No one else is experiencing this, really?

BTW, "segment" in these commands does refer to a TU, right?

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
... Nov 22, 2014

Hello PapagenoX,

If it is of any consolation to you, I experience the exact same problem with Studio 2011 as you describe.

Ctrl+Up and Ctrl+Down take me to the previous/next locked/empty segment, not to the previous/next adjacent segment.

That is not what the description of the commands says on the Edit menu:

Ctrl+Up: Move to the previous segment
Ctrl+Down: Move to the next segment
... See more
Hello PapagenoX,

If it is of any consolation to you, I experience the exact same problem with Studio 2011 as you describe.

Ctrl+Up and Ctrl+Down take me to the previous/next locked/empty segment, not to the previous/next adjacent segment.

That is not what the description of the commands says on the Edit menu:

Ctrl+Up: Move to the previous segment
Ctrl+Down: Move to the next segment

I agree with you, those are necessary and useful commands. They should work.

[Edited at 2014-11-22 23:26 GMT]
Collapse

PapagenoX
PapagenoX
TOPIC STARTER
Gracias Dec 12, 2014

Thanks for the reply, Miguel. It astonishes me how very basic things in this software just fail to work as advertised, and SDL seems to ignore them.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:54
English
That's because they do work! Dec 12, 2014

Hi,

I am convinced you must be incurring a keyboard clash of some kind for this not to work. I have no issues with the default shortcuts at all on my laptop. If you can't see what else you might have running, including windows/vendor specific applications that might be on in the background then try changing the default shortcuts to something else and see if they work. If they do I think you'll have to try and identify where the clash is coming from.

Regards

... See more
Hi,

I am convinced you must be incurring a keyboard clash of some kind for this not to work. I have no issues with the default shortcuts at all on my laptop. If you can't see what else you might have running, including windows/vendor specific applications that might be on in the background then try changing the default shortcuts to something else and see if they work. If they do I think you'll have to try and identify where the clash is coming from.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

PapagenoX
PapagenoX
TOPIC STARTER
How to change shortcuts? Dec 12, 2014

Hi Paul,

How would one go about changing the shortcuts? Do I have to edit some kind of .ini file?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I guess you could do that... Dec 12, 2014

... but it might be easier to use Tools -> Options -> Keyboard Shortcuts

Scroll down to the ones you want (named exactly as you have quoted them) and then click in the shortcut column and try something else. If you struggle to find something unique just remove a few of the ones you don't use. You can reset to defaults afterwards and put everything back if needed.

Regards

Paul

PapagenoX
PapagenoX
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try that, but... Dec 12, 2014

OK, I'll try that, but if it's just a keyboard conflict as you say, why would that affect said commands also not working if I use the mouse to pick them from the Edit menu?

BTW, still didn't work. Changed them from Ctrl+Up/Down to Ctrl+NumPad 9/3. Restarted the program, still no functionality.

[Edited at 2014-12-12 22:11 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Does this happen with any file? Dec 12, 2014

Or does it just happen with a file in a particular state and only some segments? can you send me an sdlxliff where you have this issue, even if you mock it up? Then i can test exactly what you have in terms of the file at least.

I think if this was a widespread problem in 2011 then I'm sure we would have heard more about it by now. I'm convinced it's local to whatever you and Miguel are working with.

As I'm writing can you also confirm the interface language you are
... See more
Or does it just happen with a file in a particular state and only some segments? can you send me an sdlxliff where you have this issue, even if you mock it up? Then i can test exactly what you have in terms of the file at least.

I think if this was a widespread problem in 2011 then I'm sure we would have heard more about it by now. I'm convinced it's local to whatever you and Miguel are working with.

As I'm writing can you also confirm the interface language you are using for Studio and also the operating system and interface language of your computer. May not be relevant at all, but if we decide to look in more detail it would help to replicate your setup as closely as possible.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Tanja Hansen
Tanja Hansen
Denmark
German to Danish
+ ...
Only works with unconfirmed segments Jan 16, 2015

I have Studio 2014 but experience the same problem. I find the commands work when I want to move to the next/previous unconfirmed segment. But if all segments in the file have been confirmed, nothing happens when I press Ctrl Up and Ctrl Down. It would actually be very nice if it worked!

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Nothing will happen if all segments are confirmed Jan 16, 2015

Tanja Hansen wrote:

I have Studio 2014 but experience the same problem. I find the commands work when I want to move to the next/previous unconfirmed segment. But if all segments in the file have been confirmed, nothing happens when I press Ctrl Up and Ctrl Down. It would actually be very nice if it worked!

Tanja

CTRL-UP/CTRL-DOWN by default jumps to the previous/next unconfirmed segment. This means that if all segments in your document are confirmed, it will go all the way to the end of the document, then wrap around to the beginning and go down to end up at the segment where your cursor is. Because there is no single unconfirmed segment (meaning nothing that stops the search) on the way, the cursor ends up where you started and you have the impression that nothing happened.

You can verify this by modifying slightly the content of one of the segments and retry CTRL-DOWN, it will go all the way down until it hits that segment and stop there.

Walter

PapagenoX
PapagenoX
TOPIC STARTER
Aha! That's the problem then. Jan 16, 2015

Walter Blaser wrote:

Tanja Hansen wrote:

Tanja

CTRL-UP/CTRL-DOWN by default jumps to the previous/next unconfirmed segment. This means that if all segments in your document are confirmed, it will go all the way to the end of the document, then wrap around to the beginning and go down to end up at the segment where your cursor is. Because there is no single unconfirmed segment (meaning nothing that stops the search) on the way, the cursor ends up where you started and you have the impression that nothing happened.

You can verify this by modifying slightly the content of one of the segments and retry CTRL-DOWN, it will go all the way down until it hits that segment and stop there.

Walter

Ach so!! That's the problem then. I just tried it and confirmed that it DOES work when there is an unconfirmed segment. The commands are mislabeled if they only work that way. They should be called "Move to previous/next unconfirmed segment" instead of just "Move to previous/next segment." Unfortunately when you're checking a document that you've outsourced where all the segments are confirmed, you need a command that takes you to the previous/next segment, _whatever_ its status. Is such a command available?

EDIT: It occurs to me that I could just mass-change the confirmed status to unconfirmed, then the command would work for me (from what I discovered thanks to Walter's post).

[Edited at 2015-01-16 21:36 GMT]

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Label is misleading Jan 17, 2015

I agree that the labeling of the function is misleading.

If you look at the help, it clearly states that the command brings you to the next or previous unconfirmed segment, but the labeling does not reflect this.

I'll suggest to SDL that this gets corrected in a future version.

To answer your question about which command to use instead:
- if you simply want to go to the next or previous segment without confirming use the arrow keys
- if
... See more
I agree that the labeling of the function is misleading.

If you look at the help, it clearly states that the command brings you to the next or previous unconfirmed segment, but the labeling does not reflect this.

I'll suggest to SDL that this gets corrected in a future version.

To answer your question about which command to use instead:
- if you simply want to go to the next or previous segment without confirming use the arrow keys
- if you want in addition to confirm the segment, use CTRL-ALT-Enter

Walter
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 editor: "Move to next/previous segment" not working

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »