Open Package in Studio 2014: can't chose where to save project
Thread poster: Claudia Franco (X)
Claudia Franco (X)
Claudia Franco (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 20:09
English to Spanish
Nov 20, 2014

When opening a package in my Studio 2014, I get a window which does not give me the option of Browsing for a location where to store my project. As I understand it, the Open Package window should have a line like the one below, located somewhere in the middle of the window:

Project Folder: C\Users\................................................................. Browse

The above line does not appear in my Studio instance. All I can do in the Open Package window is clic
... See more
When opening a package in my Studio 2014, I get a window which does not give me the option of Browsing for a location where to store my project. As I understand it, the Open Package window should have a line like the one below, located somewhere in the middle of the window:

Project Folder: C\Users\................................................................. Browse

The above line does not appear in my Studio instance. All I can do in the Open Package window is click on "Finish", and then I have no idea where Studio has stored my project.

Any ideas on how I can solve this problem? Thanks in advance!
Collapse

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:09
English to Arabic
Open Package in Studio 2014: can't chose where to save project Nov 21, 2014

Hi Claudia,

When you received the file/package- did you save this to your files/documents before opening Studio?
If you saved the (original) file, say under documents
(e.g.- C:\Users\joeblogs\Documents\Studio 2014\Projects\Project 1)
Then once you open Studio, and click open package/single file, you should be given the option to search. Also then when you are finished translating, the file is stored in the same path.

Kind regards

Steve

Claudia Franco (X)
Uruguay
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Did what you told me, same result Nov 24, 2014

Hi Steve,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I had in fact saved the package to one of my folders before opening Studio, and I repeated the process after receiving your answer just in case, but Studio doesn't give me the option to search.

After posting my question, I did manage to find where Studio had created my project after opening my package. It created a folder for it in the location where I had saved my last Studio project. Is there any way I could send y
... See more
Hi Steve,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I had in fact saved the package to one of my folders before opening Studio, and I repeated the process after receiving your answer just in case, but Studio doesn't give me the option to search.

After posting my question, I did manage to find where Studio had created my project after opening my package. It created a folder for it in the location where I had saved my last Studio project. Is there any way I could send you a screen capture showing the window I get when I click on "Open Package".

Thanks a in advance!

Claudia
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I had the same... Nov 24, 2014

at the beginning... after a few times, it fixed itself and the button appeared! Must be some kind of bug...

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 00:09
French to German
+ ...
Behavior has changed since Studio 2014 Nov 24, 2014

Hi all

Before 2014, Studio asked for the project destination folder after having opened the package in step 2 or 3 of the wizard.

Since 2014, it does not do this anymore but includes the field for the destination folder in the very first step, which might easily be overlooked.

This is how it looks in Studio 2014:
Screenshot
... See more
Hi all

Before 2014, Studio asked for the project destination folder after having opened the package in step 2 or 3 of the wizard.

Since 2014, it does not do this anymore but includes the field for the destination folder in the very first step, which might easily be overlooked.

This is how it looks in Studio 2014:
Screenshot

This means that you need to change the folder in this very first screen to avoid that the contents of your package go somewhere else than where you would like it to.

Walter
Collapse

Claudia Franco (X)
Uruguay
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
That's exactly what I don't see in my screen Nov 24, 2014

Thanks Giovanni and Walter for your answers.

I've taken a look at the screenshot Walter sent, and that's exactly what I'm talking about: I don't get the line highlighted in the screenshot in my initial window, so I can't tell Studio where to save my project.

Simon Cole
Simon Cole  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
French to English
Same here no browse button Nov 24, 2014

Where has it gone? Is this SDL telling us what is best for us?
I don't want a new package to be opened in the same place as I opened the last one, and I want to specify the name of the folder, as I can I could in SP1.

SDL, please fix.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
There's nothing to fix here... Nov 24, 2014

... the browse window always shows UNLESS you open the same package again and it will overwrite the existing one. This is because it knows where to go as it's already existiing... but it will overwrite the work you have already done so why would you do this?

Maybe you are not su
... See more
... the browse window always shows UNLESS you open the same package again and it will overwrite the existing one. This is because it knows where to go as it's already existiing... but it will overwrite the work you have already done so why would you do this?

Maybe you are not sure how to work with a package?

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2012/12/17/working-with-packages/

Apologies if you do, but just want to cover all possibilities at this stage.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Simon Cole
Simon Cole  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
French to English
Paul is right and I am wrong Nov 25, 2014

My misunderstanding and my error.

I get the Browse button when I open a new package, not already on my Projects list.

Re-opening one already on the list gives behaviour as described - no browse button and no alternative but to overwrite.

An existing package might have to be re-opened if an agency sends a 'revised' package after you have already started working on the first version. But in this case, if your work is stored in your own TM, no lost productivit
... See more
My misunderstanding and my error.

I get the Browse button when I open a new package, not already on my Projects list.

Re-opening one already on the list gives behaviour as described - no browse button and no alternative but to overwrite.

An existing package might have to be re-opened if an agency sends a 'revised' package after you have already started working on the first version. But in this case, if your work is stored in your own TM, no lost productivity.
One solution might be to change the name of the original package project folder in Projects View, using Project Settings - Location. BUT Windows Explorer MUST be closed while doing this or Studio throws an error. Then you can re-open the package and it shouldn't overwrite - I haven't tried it.
Simon
Collapse

Claudia Franco (X)
Uruguay
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I still don't get the Browse button Nov 25, 2014

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your answer.

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid the link you sent us didn't help me. The packages I'm trying to open are brand new (ie. I haven't opened them before), and I still don't get the Browse button.

The link you sent us refers to Studio 2011. I have Studio 2014 SP2 running on my computer. According to the video you can watch from the Open Package section in the Welcome window, in Studio 2014 you're supposed to get a Browse button in the
... See more
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your answer.

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid the link you sent us didn't help me. The packages I'm trying to open are brand new (ie. I haven't opened them before), and I still don't get the Browse button.

The link you sent us refers to Studio 2011. I have Studio 2014 SP2 running on my computer. According to the video you can watch from the Open Package section in the Welcome window, in Studio 2014 you're supposed to get a Browse button in the very first window that opens up when you click on Open Package. I don't get this Browse button, neither am I directed to a second window where I decide where to put the Project after clicking on "Finish".

I've been working with Studio for quite a while now and I have Advanced Certification. I think there must be something wrong with my settings and I'd be really grateful if SDL would help me sort this out.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply.

Kind Regards,

Claudia
Collapse

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
French to English
Location of "follow-up" packages Nov 25, 2014

You receive a new package, Studio offers the Browse button and you can put it wherever you want, creating the project with the hard-coded name of the project assigned by the agency, not to be confused with the name of the .sdlppx!

Three months later, you receive a follow-up package (typically for the same end customer) with the same hard-coded project name in the sdlppx (which you can't see), but with a different subfolder (usually associated with a new PO number) containing NEW (no
... See more
You receive a new package, Studio offers the Browse button and you can put it wherever you want, creating the project with the hard-coded name of the project assigned by the agency, not to be confused with the name of the .sdlppx!

Three months later, you receive a follow-up package (typically for the same end customer) with the same hard-coded project name in the sdlppx (which you can't see), but with a different subfolder (usually associated with a new PO number) containing NEW (not revised) files to be translated.

If the project name is still listed in Projects view, Studio does not offer the browse button on Open Package but ADDS the package to the existing (listed) project. You only see the new subfolder (top left of Files view) after the package has been opened and stored in the existing project location.

My workaround is to go to Project settings, Location, click the Browse button and choose a new location. Studio moves the project to the location of my choosing (if Windows Explorer is closed, according to Simon).

The other workaround (suggested by Paul) is to (remember to) remove the project from the Projects list before opening the follow-up package. 'Remember' is the operative word here when one's pressed for time : - )

It would be far simpler if Studio offered the Browse button on Open Package BOTH for new projects AND for existing (listed) projects. Much more flexible, and probably a trivial recoding task.

Richard
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
thanks, Richard... Nov 25, 2014

but mine weren't follow-ups... just brand new... it sorted itself out after a while... if I remember correctly, other people complained about this too...

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
A workaround Nov 25, 2014

wotswot wrote:

Three months later, you receive a follow-up package (typically for the same end customer) with the same hard-coded project name in the sdlppx (which you can't see), but with a different subfolder (usually associated with a new PO number) containing NEW (not revised) files to be translated.

If the project name is still listed in Projects view, Studio does not offer the browse button on Open Package but ADDS the package to the existing (listed) project. You only see the new subfolder (top left of Files view) after the package has been opened and stored in the existing project location.

My workaround is to go to Project settings, Location, click the Browse button and choose a new location. Studio moves the project to the location of my choosing (if Windows Explorer is closed, according to Simon).

The other workaround (suggested by Paul) is to (remember to) remove the project from the Projects list before opening the follow-up package. 'Remember' is the operative word here when one's pressed for time : - )

It would be far simpler if Studio offered the Browse button on Open Package BOTH for new projects AND for existing (listed) projects. Much more flexible, and probably a trivial recoding task.

Richard

In this very case the agency is to blame, not the software in fact…
This is IMO not a way one should work with packages.
This said, having the browse button would make things easier.
Nevertheless, IMO Studio behaves correctly – same project, no browse, as the project is already there.

However, I can also imagine to work that way:
Receive the package as is.
Take the files to be translated (SDLXLIFF) into my own project, created where I wish it to have.
Add all necessary resources from the customer project to my project, translate them and copy back to where they originate, overwriting the original files there.
Now just run the task “Translation Count” to update the status in Studio and create the return package.
All the woes are then gone and you even have the advantage working with your own resources with no big amount of work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Open Package in Studio 2014: can't chose where to save project

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »