564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 03:33
Danish to English
+ ...
Nov 21, 2014

I am flabbergasted:

Is it really true that the excellent preview function in the latest version of Studio 2014 does not support Microsoft Word 2013?

I get the following error message when I attempt to preview either a .doc or a .docx file:

Real-time preview is not supported by the Microsoft Word version you are running.

(Funny phrasing, by the way: I doubt that Microsoft aims to support SDL products, it would be obvious that SDL should aim to s
... See more
I am flabbergasted:

Is it really true that the excellent preview function in the latest version of Studio 2014 does not support Microsoft Word 2013?

I get the following error message when I attempt to preview either a .doc or a .docx file:

Real-time preview is not supported by the Microsoft Word version you are running.

(Funny phrasing, by the way: I doubt that Microsoft aims to support SDL products, it would be obvious that SDL should aim to support Microsoft's products, not the other way round. )

According to what I can find in the SDL Knowledge Base, Studio 2014 only supports Word 2003 and 2007.

Please, if this is really the case, could you (SDL) fix this in the first cumulative update you issue for SP2?

Who nowadays would work with the latest version of Studio but with antiquated versions of Microsoft Office?
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 05:33
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Not a Studio issue, but MS Office one Nov 21, 2014

This issue stems from the changes Microsoft made to the way Office 2013 versions, except for the Professional version, are distributed and installed.

As a result, Studio (as well as other programs) can no longer "hook" into the specific Office libraries that are needed for the real time preview function. No working around that I'm afraid, but the regular Preview function (on the Quick Access toolbar of the ribbon) still works and can be used.

The solution would be for e
... See more
This issue stems from the changes Microsoft made to the way Office 2013 versions, except for the Professional version, are distributed and installed.

As a result, Studio (as well as other programs) can no longer "hook" into the specific Office libraries that are needed for the real time preview function. No working around that I'm afraid, but the regular Preview function (on the Quick Access toolbar of the ribbon) still works and can be used.

The solution would be for either MS to allow that connection again (on all versions, and not just the expensive and generally overkill Professional one), or for SDL to develop an independent real-time preview mechanism (like memoQ does by converting everything to HTML, but the trade-off is that with complicated documents the visual accuracy might be a little off).

[Edited at 2014-11-21 16:38 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Correct. Nov 21, 2014

Hi,

We are working on a solution because Microsoft no longer provides the "hooks" we need, but this is a significant amount of work because we also do not wish to lose the quality of the preview we provided in the past.

It is quite a high priority though, but I can't provide any time frames at present.

Regards

Paul

564354352 (X)
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Preview from Quick Access toolbar doesn't work either Nov 21, 2014

but the regular Preview function (on the Quick Access toolbar of the ribbon) still works and can be used.

No, it doesn't, I'm afraid...

564354352 (X)
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will just be patient, then Nov 21, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

Hi,

We are working on a solution because Microsoft no longer provides the "hooks" we need, but this is a significant amount of work because we also do not wish to lose the quality of the preview we provided in the past.

It is quite a high priority though, but I can't provide any time frames at present.

Regards

Paul

Glad you are aware of the issue and working on a solution.

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:33
English to Spanish
Save to target Nov 21, 2014

I use Studio 2011, but I never use the preview function in order not to place too much stress on Studio.

I simply save to target and open the target file in the proper application, be it Word, Excel, etc.

An additional benefit you get from saving to target periodically is that at the same time you check whether the file saves properly. If not, you know almost precisely where the problem is.

564354352 (X)
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Defeating the purpose, though Nov 21, 2014

Miguel Carmona wrote:

I use Studio 2011, but I never use the preview function in order not to place too much stress on Studio.

I simply save to target and open the target file in the proper application, be it Word, Excel, etc.

An additional benefit you get from saving to target periodically is that at the same time you check whether the file saves properly. If not, you know almost precisely where the problem is.

Well, that is what I have been doing in Studio 2011, but when I dived into Studio 2014 with the SP2, I thought I would make use of ALL of the functions, including the Preview. It looked very smart in the tutorial, but... there you are... Patience is a virtue, or so they say...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 SP2: Real-time preview not supported

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »