How do I open single sdlxliff files sent by client (not a package)?
Thread poster: Gerti Hofmann
Gerti Hofmann
Gerti Hofmann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:14
English to German
+ ...
Nov 26, 2014

I have been sent two files for proofreading by a client. They weren’t sent as a Studio package (as I am supposed to do the proofreading with the online TM), but just as two Word and two sdlxliff files. I have saved all these files to the client folder which I want to work from. When I try to use “Open Project” in the Welcome or Editor view, it shows the folder as empty (“no items match your search”). The same happens when I try to use “Open Package”. How can I open those sdlxliff f... See more
I have been sent two files for proofreading by a client. They weren’t sent as a Studio package (as I am supposed to do the proofreading with the online TM), but just as two Word and two sdlxliff files. I have saved all these files to the client folder which I want to work from. When I try to use “Open Project” in the Welcome or Editor view, it shows the folder as empty (“no items match your search”). The same happens when I try to use “Open Package”. How can I open those sdlxliff files? PS: These files have the file extension "sdlxliff" in the client's workspace from which I downloaded them, but in my file folder it says "XLM" - in case that makes a difference?

[Edited at 2014-11-26 13:24 GMT]
Collapse

Deirdre Brophy (X)
Deirdre Brophy (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to Irish
+ ...
Open document? Nov 26, 2014

If you go into the "Projects" tab, there is an "Open document" button, try this (SDL Studio 2011)

Gerti Hofmann
Gerti Hofmann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:14
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved - but can't find "Open Document" Nov 26, 2014

Thanks, Deirdre!
I've since received the correct sdlxliff files from the client and managed to open them with "Translated single document" in the Welcome view.
I cannot see an "Open Document" command in Studio 2014 though, so if anyone know a way of directly opening a single document in Studio 2014, I would be interested to find out for future reference. Many thanks!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:14
English
Go to the Welcome View... Nov 26, 2014

... and use "Translate Single Document". The Open Document command proved to cause confusion for other reasons so it was changed to prevent users thinking that was an appropriate button to use just to start translating existing translations.

Regards

Paul

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:14
English to Russian
+ ...
plain double clicking on the file Nov 26, 2014

launches the software and opens the file in it

This is the way it works in my computer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I open single sdlxliff files sent by client (not a package)?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »