Thread poster: Gerti Hofmann
Gerti Hofmann
Gerti Hofmann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:04
English to German
+ ...
Nov 28, 2014

This has happened twice in the last couple of days: I downloaded an sdlxliff file from a client's workspace but on my computer the file appears as an XML file. Does anybody know the reason for this and how it can be avoided?

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 03:04
German to Swedish
+ ...
Content-Type Nov 28, 2014

Just guessing:
The server serves the file with Content-Type: text/xml headers.
This isn't wrong, since sdlxliff files are XML files.

Depending on server setup the actual file name may not be transmitted correctly.
Can you simply change the file extension to .sdlxliff and get a useable file? If so, there's probably nothing wrong on your side.

[Edited at 2014-11-28 19:13 GMT]

Gerti Hofmann
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It really is an XML file Dec 1, 2014

Thank you, but the file actually does seem to be an XML file: the colour symbol which appears next to it in Windows Explorer is not that of an sdlxliff file, and it doesn't open like an sdlxliff file in Studio but all its contents (English and German text as well as formatting instructions etc.) appear in the source column, with the target column empty.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Can you share... Dec 1, 2014

... the header from the file itself? Open it in a text editor and just post a few lines from the start.

Regards

Paul

Gerti Hofmann
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Here it is Dec 1, 2014

Trying to open it in Word gave me an error message ("The file contains custom XML elements which are no longer supported by Word...") , so I opened the file by clicking on it in Internet Explorer:

-

-

-

-

Gerti Hofmann
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry ... Dec 1, 2014

I just saw after posting that the copied bits don't show up. Here is the header again, copied by hand:

- - < doc-info xmlns=http://sdl.com/ FileTypes/sdlxliff/1.0">

Gerti Hofmann
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trying again as copied bits still doesn't show in last post... Dec 1, 2014

-doc-info xmlns=” http://sdl.com/File Types/sdlxliff/1.0”

Gerti Hofmann
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, not sure why ... Dec 1, 2014

... the copied header isn't showing fully in above posts?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
This is an sdlxliff file... Dec 1, 2014

Gerti Hofmann wrote:

Trying to open it in Word gave me an error message ("The file contains custom XML elements which are no longer supported by Word...") , so I opened the file by clicking on it in Internet Explorer:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xliff sdl:version="1.0" version="1.2" xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:xliff:document:1.2" xmlns:sdl="http://sdl.com/FileTypes/SdlXliff/1.0">
<doc-info xmlns="http://sdl.com/FileTypes/SdlXliff/1.0">

... so now you have it in your desktop try renaming the extension as sdlxliff. I have no idea how it saves as an xml file but maybe something is recognising the contents as xml (which it is) and then not respecting the extension by default.

Renaming it might be the simple solution you're looking for.

Regards

Paul

ps. If you want tagged content to display in this form you have to use entities for these < > symbols. So as follows (without the spaces):

< = & l t ;
> = & g t ;

Gerti Hofmann
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do I rename? Dec 1, 2014

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the reply. I've just received another file by the client which has the same problem so I'd like to try renaming the file as you suggested. But silly question: How do I rename the extension? Using "rename" in Windows Explorers, I can just rename the file name, not the extension?

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Renaming the extension Dec 1, 2014

Gerti Hofmann wrote:

How do I rename the extension? Using "rename" in Windows Explorers, I can just rename the file name, not the extension?

You can also rename the extension. You'll get a warning message saying that the file might become unusable, but just say OK to that.

If you can't see the extension in the file name at all, check out this article:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/software/3341794/how-show-or-hide-file-extensions/

Gerti Hofmann
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks ... Dec 1, 2014

renaming the file worked!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Downloaded sdlxliff file turns into XML file

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »