Does installing Trados 2011 remove the 2007 version?
Thread poster: roak
roak
roak
United States
German to English
Dec 18, 2014

I found this to be very funny! Used Trados 2011 for a few jobs. Then for a certain job I found it more convenient to use 2007 so I opened the WORD file with the Workbench and to my astonishment I did not see the SDL Trados option on the menu bar. Assuming that it may have been automatically disabled as has happened many times in the past, I went to WORD Options and checked for the disabled Add-ins, so that I could simply enable the TRADOS add-in, BUT Trados is nowhere to be seen in that list !!!... See more
I found this to be very funny! Used Trados 2011 for a few jobs. Then for a certain job I found it more convenient to use 2007 so I opened the WORD file with the Workbench and to my astonishment I did not see the SDL Trados option on the menu bar. Assuming that it may have been automatically disabled as has happened many times in the past, I went to WORD Options and checked for the disabled Add-ins, so that I could simply enable the TRADOS add-in, BUT Trados is nowhere to be seen in that list !!!!

Can someone please advice on what needs doing? Quick responses will be appreciated as the work is pretty urgent.

Thanks in advance
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:59
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Normally NO! Dec 18, 2014

That is to say, as long as you have a licence for 2007. You bought the product, so it is yours, and it can be uploaded from the SDL-site. I did.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
No Dec 18, 2014

Trados 2007 and Studio 2009/2001/2014 aren't related in any way.

roak
roak
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your responses! Dec 18, 2014

Thanks to you both Robert and Natalie, but could any of you tell me if there is a shorter way of resolving the issue. Re-installing the whole software would be the last resort.

Yes I do have both the licenses. When I upgraded to 2011, I was granted a permanent 2007 license too.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards

[Edited at 2014-12-18 18:29 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
dotm file in Start-up folder Dec 18, 2014

I understand you've installed 2007 on your machine already, but the dotm file has got lost.

If that's the case, then copy it from here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL International\T2007_FL\TT\Templates
to here:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

Hope that helps.

roak
roak
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
location of STARTUP folder? Dec 18, 2014

Emma would you please tell me the exact location of the startup folder?
My OS is Windows XP.
The path you've given doesn't seem to take me there.
Thanks in advance

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:59
Finnish to French
Path to Startup folder in XP Dec 18, 2014

roak wrote:
Emma would you please tell me the exact location of the startup folder?
My OS is Windows XP.
The path you've given doesn't seem to take me there.

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup

Note that Application Data is a hidden folder, and hidden files and folders are not visible by default in Windows.

roak
roak
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
BIG "THANK YOU" to Emma and Dominic Dec 18, 2014

Thanks a lot. This seems to have worked now. Is a simple task but you really need some help in these situations, isnt it?

Many Thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does installing Trados 2011 remove the 2007 version?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »