JVSantos  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 16:11
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 22, 2014

Dear all,

Can anyone help me?

I would like to know wich translation memories or similar tools should I use wit my SDL Trados!

I am active in translation of legal documents from EN-PT, FR-PT and ES-PT.

The dilema is if Trados works perfectly with English, wiht FR-PT and ES-PT I´m not sure how efficient it is.

I have two projects to translate from FR-PT and I am stuck! Maybe it is because I´m new in this new world.

Loo
... See more
Dear all,

Can anyone help me?

I would like to know wich translation memories or similar tools should I use wit my SDL Trados!

I am active in translation of legal documents from EN-PT, FR-PT and ES-PT.

The dilema is if Trados works perfectly with English, wiht FR-PT and ES-PT I´m not sure how efficient it is.

I have two projects to translate from FR-PT and I am stuck! Maybe it is because I´m new in this new world.

Looking forward for your comments.

Kind regards,

João (JC)
Collapse

Joseph Fritzlang

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:11
English to Arabic
Translation Memory and Studio 2014 Dec 22, 2014

Hi Joao,

Unfortunately I have been unable to confirm which license version you may be using (apart from the Trial).
If you are using either Studio 2014 Freelance or Studio 2014 Professional, then you can create your TM's in the language pairs you require.
Of course you can also use existing TM's or create TM's from existing Word/Excel files etc.
The following Quick Start Guide will help you with the basics-
... See more
Hi Joao,

Unfortunately I have been unable to confirm which license version you may be using (apart from the Trial).
If you are using either Studio 2014 Freelance or Studio 2014 Professional, then you can create your TM's in the language pairs you require.
Of course you can also use existing TM's or create TM's from existing Word/Excel files etc.
The following Quick Start Guide will help you with the basics-

http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL_Trados_Studio_2014/client_en/Guides/Translating_and_Reviewing_Documents_QSG_en.pdf

Aligning existing document for TM creation-
http://www.translationzone.com/video/lt-video-sdl-trados-studio-2014-sp1-alignment/56560/

Translation Memory- Quick Start Guide-
http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL_Trados_Studio_2014/client_en/Guides/Translation_Memory_Management_QSG_en.pdf

Please let me know if you need further help.

Kind regards

Steve
Collapse

JVSantos
JVSantos  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation Memory and Studio 2014 Dec 22, 2014

Hello Steve,

I use SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance Plus, which I have acquired on 01-10-2014 (Orders: 347604).

I´m looking for quality TM to use SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance Plus in the following language pairs EN-PT, FR-PT and ES-PT (free and or paid), that I could use in my projects.

I´m sure in 5 years time I will not have, meanwhile this problem.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards,

João (JC)

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Obtaining a "Quality TM"... Dec 22, 2014

.. may not be a very easy task as most translators are not willing to share their resources as this is a combination of their own IP and that of their customers. I won't even go into the debate over who really owns it as it would be a long one and I don't have hard and fast views on this!

In addition to that hurdle what is a "Quality TM"? What may be an excellent resource for one translator might not be useful for you at all, and it may not even be translated in a way that would m
... See more
.. may not be a very easy task as most translators are not willing to share their resources as this is a combination of their own IP and that of their customers. I won't even go into the debate over who really owns it as it would be a long one and I don't have hard and fast views on this!

In addition to that hurdle what is a "Quality TM"? What may be an excellent resource for one translator might not be useful for you at all, and it may not even be translated in a way that would measure up to any exacting standards of your own!

However, if you take a look at this article you will find it explains how to generate a Translation Memory based on the resources made freely available from the DGT Multilingual Translation Memory of the Acquis Communautaire.

Your chosen language pairs are available.

Good luck!

Paul
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Best way would be to align your old translations Dec 22, 2014

JVSantos wrote:
I´m looking for quality TM to use SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance Plus in the following language pairs EN-PT, FR-PT and ES-PT (free and or paid), that I could use in my projects.

Most of us have to create such memories from scratch. If you haven't used a translation tool before, the best would be to align your old translations and import them into your TM.

Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tools to use with SDL Trados 2014 Freelance Plus

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »