Thread poster: XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:37
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jan 23, 2015

In Studio 2014 my Termbase is refusing to show any results at all in the Term Recognition window despite the terms being there when I perform a search in the Termbase Search tab. What has suddenly gone wrong? Any suggestions welcome. Thank you!

ETA: The only terms that are recognised are those that I add during the course of this project.

[Edited at 2015-01-23 18:24 GMT]

Susanna Miles

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 13:37
Danish to English
+ ...
Sorry, if this is an obvious and stupid question... Jan 23, 2015

... but, did you remember to attach the termbase(s) when you set up the project?

You did say 'any suggestions welcome'

And I only ask because this happened to me recently... I.e. I forgot to attach the termbases...

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Bug? Jan 23, 2015

Dear Lisa,

This is not really going to help you, but just in case you don't know this: Multiterm generally fails miserably at its core task of actually recognising terms that are in the termbase, especially in longer segments. This is a bug that has been known for half a dozen years, yet nothing seems to be done about it by SDL.

Regards,
Erik

Alena Pieterova
Paolor FAIDANGBRIAYAO

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The termbase is there Jan 23, 2015

@ Gitte
ALL suggestions are still welcome and thanks for yours. Often it is something very obvious but yes the termbase is attached. It is permanently attached, as it were, so the same termbase opens for every file. If I click on the "Termbase Search" tab and search a term I know is there they all come up but the Term Recognition window is not producing any results and there are no red marks in the source text. When I add terms for a translation I'm doing those are the terms to appear in t
... See more
@ Gitte
ALL suggestions are still welcome and thanks for yours. Often it is something very obvious but yes the termbase is attached. It is permanently attached, as it were, so the same termbase opens for every file. If I click on the "Termbase Search" tab and search a term I know is there they all come up but the Term Recognition window is not producing any results and there are no red marks in the source text. When I add terms for a translation I'm doing those are the terms to appear in the Term Recognition window.

@ Erik,
I haven't actually had cause to use Studio since before Christmas and had no problems at all then so this is a recent issue.
Collapse

Michele Gile

Alexander Somin
Alexander Somin
Local time: 15:37
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Playing with settings Jan 24, 2015

Dear Lisa,

Try playing with term window setting. Begin with the font size settings for the terms window (make font size smaller). Check if term search is enabled on View and try moving the term window which should pop up after enabling it.

[Edited at 2015-01-24 06:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-01-24 06:56 GMT]

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Things to check Jan 24, 2015

Dear Lisa,

Just a couple of things you might want to check:

1. You have already confirmed that the termbase is attached, but is it active as well? Verify that the termbase is checked in the termbase list.
  2. Check the termbase search settings, especially the minimum match value. Try to lower it and see if this changes anything.
  3. What happens if you try to add on... See more
Dear Lisa,

1. You have already confirmed that the termbase is attached, but is it active as well? Verify that the termbase is checked in the termbase list.
  2. Check the termbase search settings, especially the minimum match value. Try to lower it and see if this changes anything.
  3. What happens if you try to add one of the terms you know to exist in the termbase, but isn't recognised? Do you get an error message saying that the term already exists?
  4. When you confirm the addition of an already exisiting term, will this term be recognised from now on?
  5. Do you notice any difference in behaviour between short and long segments? You might still be suffering from the long-known bug, even if you haven't encountered it before.

HTH,
Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2015-01-24 08:01 GMT]
Collapse

Lucy Findlay

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure what you mean Jan 24, 2015

Alexander Somin wrote:

Dear Lisa,

Try playing with term window setting. Begin with the font size settings for the terms window (make font size smaller). Check if term search is enabled on View and try moving the term window which should pop up after enabling it.

[Edited at 2015-01-24 06:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-01-24 06:56 GMT]

Thanks for your suggestions but I'm not sure I follow any of them. I can't see where the font size settings are in the terms window. When I go to View and click on Termbase Search or Termbase Recognition it flips between each window in my viewer. If I click on the Termbase Viewer icon in View it says "Loading termbases..." but nothing happens. I should add that my term viewer is pinned at all times to the top right corner of my Studio screen.

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Erik Jan 24, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:

3. What happens if you try to add one of the terms you know to exist in the termbase, but isn't recognised? Do you get an error message saying that the term already exists?
  4. When you confirm the addition of an already exisiting term, will this term be recognised from now on?
  5. Do you notice any difference in behaviour between short and long segments? You might still be suffering from the long-known bug, even if you haven't encountered it before.

HTH,
Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2015-01-24 08:01 GMT]

Thanks for your suggestions:

1) If I go to Project Settings my termbase is there and the Enabled box is ticked.
2) I've tried lowering the min. match value to 40% but that made no difference.
3) Yes, if I open Multiterm and try and add a duplicate term to the termbase I get a message that this term already exists. Once I add the duplicate term that is recognised, the term is highlighted with a red bracket and the result appears in the Term Recognition window.
4) No, no difference between short and long segments.

In short, the termbase has all the terms there. The Termbase Search is finding them but the Term Recognition is only working with new terms added to the Termbase.

Paolor FAIDANGBRIAYAO
Susanna Miles

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
No idea Jan 24, 2015

Lisa Simpson, MCIL MITI wrote:

1) If I go to Project Settings my termbase is there and the Enabled box is ticked.
2) I've tried lowering the min. match value to 40% but that made no difference.
3) Yes, if I open Multiterm and try and add a duplicate term to the termbase I get a message that this term already exists. Once I add the duplicate term that is recognised, the term is highlighted with a red bracket and the result appears in the Term Recognition window.
4) No, no difference between short and long segments.

In short, the termbase has all the terms there. The Termbase Search is finding them but the Term Recognition is only working with new terms added to the Termbase.

I'm sorry, but I have no other ideas at the moment. I still suspect you're experiencing the general unreliability of MultiTerm, for which there currently would be no remedy.

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm
Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Greek
+ ...
Reorganise? Jan 24, 2015

Could the term base need to be "reorganised"? Have you used it with Studio 2014 before?

Manuel Bas y Mansilla

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Indeed Jan 24, 2015

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm wrote:

Could the term base need to be "reorganised"? Have you used it with Studio 2014 before?

Indeed, probably one of the first things to try - forgot that.

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Superb Jan 24, 2015

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm wrote:

That worked I didn't know about the Reorganise button so thanks very much for that tip. What I think happened is that I ran my termbase through Glossary Converter a few weeks ago to edit and clean it up in an Excel file and when I imported it back clearly some reorganising was needed. It all seems to be working swimmingly now. Thanks very much to both of you for your help.

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm
Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Greek
+ ...
Great! Jan 24, 2015

I am glad I could help!

tietzes (X)
tietzes (X)
Japanese to German
+ ...
unfortunately, reorganisation Jan 24, 2015

didn't help me.

Hello Lisa,

I still have the same problem, and it hasn't been solved yet. http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/261254-studio_not_recognizing_terms_its_driving_me_nuts.html

It's really an annoying problem because the term recognition while translating is one of the most
... See more
didn't help me.

Hello Lisa,

I still have the same problem, and it hasn't been solved yet. http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/261254-studio_not_recognizing_terms_its_driving_me_nuts.html

It's really an annoying problem because the term recognition while translating is one of the most important features. I would never, ever have bought it without this function.

Best,
tietzes
Collapse

Paolor FAIDANGBRIAYAO

Szandrea
Szandrea
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Still? Sep 22, 2015

Dear All,
I'm not sure if the problem still exists. In any case, I could manage it with closing and re-opening the Term Recignition window.

Ellen van Dobben de Bruyn

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Termbase not displaying results

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »