Thread poster: Daniel Grigoras
Daniel Grigoras
Daniel Grigoras  Identity Verified
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
Jan 24, 2015

Hi,

I'm using SDL Trados 2014 SP2 to review an XLIFF file, which I downloaded from XTM, and I noticed that Trados does not auto-propagate confirmed segments in Review Mode, as opposed to MemoQ, which I used to work in up to its recent compatibility problems with XTM XLIFF files.
Does Trados not support auto-propagation of confirmed segments in Review Mode?

Regards,
Daniel

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:18
English
Yes it does... Jan 24, 2015

... most likely you have something switched off to prevent this. Maybe, as it's a review job you don't have the option ticked to autopropagate to confirmed segments, or something like that?

Go to Tools -> Options -> Editor -> Auto-propagation and look at the different options.

Regards

Paul

Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Auto-propagate to confirmed segments Jan 25, 2015

Thanks Paul,

I did check the Auto-propagation options before posting here, but in the rush of things I wasn't sure about what the auto-propagation options would do. Indeed, while Auto-propagation was enabled, "Auto-propagate exact matches to confirmed segments" and "Confirm segments after auto-propagating an exact match" were disabled. I have now enabled them.

Thanks for the help!

Magdalena Szewciów
Magdalena Szewciów  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
No, it still doesn't Feb 6, 2015

I have all the options enabled + "Auto-propagate from Next segment in document" + Always (prompt) and auto-propagation still does not work in Review or Sign Off.

Is there any way around it?

Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It may not work Feb 6, 2015

I don't think that I had the chance to test this as I had to switch to working in XTM because it turned out that SDL Trados 2014 is not fully compatible with XTM XLIFFs, just as MemoQ.
I'll have to test this when I get the chance.

Magdalena Szewciów
Magdalena Szewciów  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
found it Feb 6, 2015

OK, I found the answer: you have to switch off "Track Changes". Not that it made my life any easier, but it did work.

HTH

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Why not? Feb 6, 2015

D.D.G. wrote:

... it turned out that SDL Trados 2014 is not fully compatible with XTM XLIFFs, just as MemoQ.

Can we see an example file?

Regards

Paul

Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It might be possible Feb 6, 2015

Hi Paul,

MemoQ support also asked for sample files. However, I just couldn't provide them with the files as I signed an NDA.
However, I've talked with the translation agency and the response I've got from them was that they also have their support department and that they would only provide the XTM XLIFFs under an NDA and if they were to be paid for this service. I could put you in touch with them.
What I can add is that these XLIFFs are based on InDesign files, having t
... See more
Hi Paul,

MemoQ support also asked for sample files. However, I just couldn't provide them with the files as I signed an NDA.
However, I've talked with the translation agency and the response I've got from them was that they also have their support department and that they would only provide the XTM XLIFFs under an NDA and if they were to be paid for this service. I could put you in touch with them.
What I can add is that these XLIFFs are based on InDesign files, having the extension *.idml.xliff

Regards,
Daniel
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
And people say... Feb 6, 2015

D.D.G. wrote:

However, I've talked with the translation agency and the response I've got from them was that they also have their support department and that they would only provide the XTM XLIFFs under an NDA and if they were to be paid for this service.

.. we're unhelpful! I'm not that interested!! Maybe I'll come across an XTM XLIFF another day and will have a play.

Regards

Paul

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Auto-propagation is not working at all Jun 23, 2015

- It did not work in review mode with track-changes on.
- I tried to adjust the auto-propagation settings in all possible ways. It did not work.
(I used File > Options > Editor > Auto-propagation settings. Are there any other settings that should be checked??)
- I reopened the file in translation, changed the status of all segments to untranslated and tried to retranslate. It did not work.
- I thought that multiple matches in TM might be the problem, and created a new em
... See more
- It did not work in review mode with track-changes on.
- I tried to adjust the auto-propagation settings in all possible ways. It did not work.
(I used File > Options > Editor > Auto-propagation settings. Are there any other settings that should be checked??)
- I reopened the file in translation, changed the status of all segments to untranslated and tried to retranslate. It did not work.
- I thought that multiple matches in TM might be the problem, and created a new empty TM. Did not work.
- I have disabled track-changes (even if I need to use it!). It did not work.

My Trados 2014 does is not helping at all!!
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Why it does not work Jun 27, 2015

After finishing a large project, and after experimenting with a small file, I now have the time to explain better my earlier angry post in this post (click here). (I am still angry, though).

Edited because the link to my post is not appearing underlined on my screen.

[Edited at 2015-06-27 16:36 GMT]

Marta Cervera Areny
Marta Cervera Areny
Spain
Catalan to Spanish
+ ...
I'm having this exact same problem with version 2014 and 2015 Jul 13, 2015

I've always worked with track changes off when reviewing, but now I need to deliver a large review with track changes on and auto-propagation does not fully work. It does propagate and confirm segments that contain changes, but it doesn't auto-propagate unchanged segments that should be just changed to Translation Approved. All auto-propagation options are enabled.

I have the same problem with both 2014 and 2015 versions.

Right now I'm working with TXML files, but I've
... See more
I've always worked with track changes off when reviewing, but now I need to deliver a large review with track changes on and auto-propagation does not fully work. It does propagate and confirm segments that contain changes, but it doesn't auto-propagate unchanged segments that should be just changed to Translation Approved. All auto-propagation options are enabled.

I have the same problem with both 2014 and 2015 versions.

Right now I'm working with TXML files, but I've had the same problem with DOCX files in previous projects.

[Edited at 2015-07-13 15:02 GMT]
Collapse

Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa
Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:18
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm having the exact same problem with my Studio 2014 SP2 running on Windows 7 Pro Jul 25, 2015

Maybe it is a bug from Studio 2014 and 2015???

I'm working with the Track Changes on; Studio autopropagates the segments with Translation Approved statuses that have Track Changes, but does not autopropagate Translation Approved statuses that are 100% correct.

Why?

Sonia Martos
Sonia Martos  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A possible work-around Sep 6, 2016

I face the same problem when I need to review and the client needs to have the track changes option on. If there has been a change, it auto-propagates and confirms to the rest of the segments. Otherwise, forget about it.
My work-around has been to create a project TM with a significant name, such as "My translations_XXX". That way, when the next 100% match comes up, I will clearly see that I've already read and approved that segment and won't waste my time reading it again. I know it would
... See more
I face the same problem when I need to review and the client needs to have the track changes option on. If there has been a change, it auto-propagates and confirms to the rest of the segments. Otherwise, forget about it.
My work-around has been to create a project TM with a significant name, such as "My translations_XXX". That way, when the next 100% match comes up, I will clearly see that I've already read and approved that segment and won't waste my time reading it again. I know it would be faster if the program was smart enough to auto-propagate those approved segments, just like it does with a translation, but at least this way I won't waste too much time.
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:18
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
An Autohotkey workaround Jan 11, 2017

Please have a look at this post for a functional workaround:

http://noradiaz.blogspot.mx/2017/01/autopropagating-segment-status-in.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auto-propagation of confirmed segments in Review Mode

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »