Thread poster: Mathieu Fortin
Mathieu Fortin
Mathieu Fortin
Canada
Local time: 11:41
English to French
Jan 26, 2015

Hi,

I have a simple termbase: 2 languages (English, French) and a client field.

I prefer to edit my termbase in Excel: i find it's faster than adding every term in Multiterm. For one English term, I sometimes have multiple French terms, to accommodate different clients. So in Excel, I have would have this (I would put an image but I'm not sure how):

English French Client

Term Translation1 cl
... See more
Hi,

I have a simple termbase: 2 languages (English, French) and a client field.

I prefer to edit my termbase in Excel: i find it's faster than adding every term in Multiterm. For one English term, I sometimes have multiple French terms, to accommodate different clients. So in Excel, I have would have this (I would put an image but I'm not sure how):

English French Client

Term Translation1 client1
Term Translation2 client2

When I import it in Multiterm, I use "merge entries" to merge the synonyms under "TERM", which works fine with Trados.

Here is the problem. When I export to a tab delimited file from Multiterm, I only get one line for "TERM", and only 1 synonym, "Translation1". I lose all synonyms in the process.

I just spent a couple hours looking around and I just can't seem to find anything useful about exporting synonyms. Maybe my whole approach is wrong?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:41
English
Use the Glossary Converter... Jan 26, 2015

... this will make the process to/from Excel much easier for you: http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/glossaryconverter-476.html#46146

It's a drag and drop as shown here: http://youtu.be/2HFAMiPbQJs and will work with 2011.

Regards... See more
... this will make the process to/from Excel much easier for you: http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/glossaryconverter-476.html#46146

It's a drag and drop as shown here: http://youtu.be/2HFAMiPbQJs and will work with 2011.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Mathieu Fortin
Mathieu Fortin
Canada
Local time: 11:41
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 2, 2015

Hi Paul,

Thanks for coming to my help once again, and so fast too!

I experimented with the tool this weekend and it works great. It does organize the data a bit differently when you go from .sdltb to .xls, but it is really a minor inconvenience compared to what I was doing before with Multiterm convert. So again, thanks!

On the other hand, I do have a question that you may be able to answer.

In the Converter's documentation, it's specif
... See more
Hi Paul,

Thanks for coming to my help once again, and so fast too!

I experimented with the tool this weekend and it works great. It does organize the data a bit differently when you go from .sdltb to .xls, but it is really a minor inconvenience compared to what I was doing before with Multiterm convert. So again, thanks!

On the other hand, I do have a question that you may be able to answer.

In the Converter's documentation, it's specified:

"the Multi-line format is not recommended, but popular, and therefore supported."

I find the Multi-line format to be the most intuitive. It follows the same logic as most databases: one line per record. Since the format is popular and intuitive, why are the tools not specifically built to support it? Just wondering...

Thanks!

Mat
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot export synonyms, tab delimited, Multiterm 2011

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »