Thread poster: Jeroen Hendrix
Jeroen Hendrix
Jeroen Hendrix
Mexico
Local time: 16:13
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 27, 2015

I have a Powerpoint document I have to translate. I am a new user so I will tell you exactly what I did.
I went to new project, chose my source language Spa, because I couldn't find TM for Mexico.
Target language is English, wanted to choose US, but I only found TM for combo Spa-GB.
So I downloaded a TM of above combo and added it to TM database. Furthermore I have a bpm file of Spa-GB.
Both I activated to help me to translate my Powepoint document. Furthermore I used the
... See more
I have a Powerpoint document I have to translate. I am a new user so I will tell you exactly what I did.
I went to new project, chose my source language Spa, because I couldn't find TM for Mexico.
Target language is English, wanted to choose US, but I only found TM for combo Spa-GB.
So I downloaded a TM of above combo and added it to TM database. Furthermore I have a bpm file of Spa-GB.
Both I activated to help me to translate my Powepoint document. Furthermore I used the same TM Database to create a Auto suggest dictionary. The terms I left in sample.

So now that I explained what I did, I started to translate my document, but I don't have any auto suggestions, can you tell me what I did wrong?
I can only use edit and I don't get any word suggestions or segments of the documents.

I really want to work with the translation, but probably I am missing some steps

Thanks for your help!
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:13
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Your own resources Jan 27, 2015

It's hard to tell from the information you've given us whether you have downloaded a TM that doesn't give any fuzzy matches / autosuggestions because it's not related to the field you're working in (i.e., your source PPT file).
Or, maybe you've added the TM in the wrong place and it's not in your project at all.

I suggest that you start building your own TM from scratch, using your language pairs and variants (this is another reason why your downloaded TM may not be working).
... See more
It's hard to tell from the information you've given us whether you have downloaded a TM that doesn't give any fuzzy matches / autosuggestions because it's not related to the field you're working in (i.e., your source PPT file).
Or, maybe you've added the TM in the wrong place and it's not in your project at all.

I suggest that you start building your own TM from scratch, using your language pairs and variants (this is another reason why your downloaded TM may not be working). That way you'll get more relevant look-ups in the TM as it grows. Unless you always translate very similar documents, a TM will take months to produce good results.

You may simply be setting up your Studio project wrong in the first place. Check out this post on translating your first file in Studio:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2014/01/01/first_file/

And this one on getting results from your TM:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/02/27/update-tm/
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:13
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TMs are customer specific Jan 27, 2015

You hardly get any matches at all between sources from different authors, so TM will be useful when the same customer comes back to you and wants more of the same. Each and every person wrights their own style. I have translated hundreds of work security related texts but every new customer used their own set of instructions. Only sometimes the headers might fit.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Starting Trados 2014

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »