What are the differences between AutoSuggest, Termbases, and Translation Memory in SDL Trados 2014?
Thread poster: Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani
Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani
Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:29
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Jan 28, 2015

There are three different resources in this software. One is AutoSuggest, another is Termbases and the other is Translation Memory. I was thinking that what the differences are between these three resources. Can you elaborate the differences for me? I think citing vivid and classical examples would be much helpful.

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:29
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Very simple Jan 28, 2015

Translation Memory: a database storing the source content and its translation.

Termbase: a database storing terminology. Studio's terminology module, called MultiTerm, is quite powerful and can be used to maintain anything from simple monolingual or bilingual glossaries (the latter is what most translators are probably using) to much more complex terminology structures.
While the translation memory automatically stores every segment confirmed by the user, the termbase entries
... See more

Termbase: a database storing terminology. Studio's terminology module, called MultiTerm, is quite powerful and can be used to maintain anything from simple monolingual or bilingual glossaries (the latter is what most translators are probably using) to much more complex terminology structures.
While the translation memory automatically stores every segment confirmed by the user, the termbase entries are added selectively by the user as he or she goes along.

Autosuggest: is a predictive typing algorithm that analyzes the translation memory (the translation memory should have 10,000 entries in order to create an Autosugget dictionary, and you also need the Autosugget module to create a dictionary, but even if you don't have this module you can use AS dictionaries created by others) and then suggests relevant sentences or phrases from the TM based on the characters you start typing. Its main purpose is to save the user some typing.

While the first two (TM and termbase) are considered the foundation of the basic workflow, the latter is more of a supplementary productivity/convenience aid.
Collapse

Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani
Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:29
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation memory Jan 28, 2015

Shai Navé wrote:

While the translation memory automatically stores every segment confirmed by the user, the termbase entries are added selectively by the user as he or she goes along.

Autosuggest: is a predictive typing algorithm that analyzes the translation memory (the translation memory should have 10,000 entries in order to create an Autosugget dictionary, and you also need the Autosugget module to create a dictionary, but even if you don't have this module you can use AS dictionaries created by others) and then suggests relevant sentences or phrases from the TM based on the characters you start typing. Its main purpose is to save the user some typing.

While the first two (TM and termbase) are considered the foundation of the basic workflow, the latter is more of a supplementary productivity/convenience aid.

So, you mean that I do not need to create translation memory and whatever I enter into target segment is automatically added into translation memory with the corresponding source text. Am I right?
And what do you mean by 10,000 entries? I mean should 10,000 entries be single words or segments?

[Edited at 2015-01-28 14:07 GMT]

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
You do need to create a translation memory Jan 28, 2015

A translation memory is not created automatically for a project (well, this is only half true because you can create project translation memories automatically; but let's not complicate things now). You need to create a TM or add an existing one to the project to benefit from its functionality.

You can translate without a translation memory, but then nothing is stored for future reference. You can later import the bilingual SDLXLIFF file into a TM, but this is less efficient than wo
... See more
A translation memory is not created automatically for a project (well, this is only half true because you can create project translation memories automatically; but let's not complicate things now). You need to create a TM or add an existing one to the project to benefit from its functionality.

You can translate without a translation memory, but then nothing is stored for future reference. You can later import the bilingual SDLXLIFF file into a TM, but this is less efficient than working with a TM from the start.

To create an Autosuggest dictionary from a TM you need to have 10,000 segments in that TM.
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:29
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Are you sure? Jan 28, 2015

I mean about the the 10.000 segments for Autosuggest. As far as I remember the minimum amount was 25.000 segments, but that was for Studio 2009.

Just asking, because that is how I remember it, and I can be wrong of course.

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Yes, in Studio 2014 Jan 29, 2015

You are right that in previous versions one needed a TM with 25,000 segments to create an Autosuggest dictionary. In Studio 2014 the AS algorithm was improved, so now you need only 10,000 segments to create an Autosuggest dictionary.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Multiterm is a glossary and runs independently Jan 29, 2015

Any results available are shown in the 'term recognition window' at the top right corner of the screen.

It is not very intuitive to set up a database in Multiterm (get help or follow a tutorial). However, once you have one, it is very versatile, as mentioned.

It is possible to enter terms simply by highlighting them in the source and target segments and clicking on Ctrl + F2. A termbase viewer will appear, where you can edit the terms if necessary (remove commas, adjust
... See more
Any results available are shown in the 'term recognition window' at the top right corner of the screen.

It is not very intuitive to set up a database in Multiterm (get help or follow a tutorial). However, once you have one, it is very versatile, as mentioned.

It is possible to enter terms simply by highlighting them in the source and target segments and clicking on Ctrl + F2. A termbase viewer will appear, where you can edit the terms if necessary (remove commas, adjust capitalisation, register them as case neutral, whatever) and then save.

You can then enter a term at any point in the segment by typing the first two or three letters and Enter when the term appears in the text.

I find it useful for names of ministries and public authorities, which are not always easy to remember, and all kinds of 'strings'
-- client slogans and mottos
any long names that recur

... and of course straight terminology!
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
This article... Jan 29, 2015

... on the ins and outs of AutoSuggest might be useful too.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are the differences between AutoSuggest, Termbases, and Translation Memory in SDL Trados 2014?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »