Will Multiterm replace words on loading of project?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:34
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jan 29, 2015

Some clients send me regularly food label translations. Sometimes there are dozens of terms in one translation unite, like "salt, water, black pepper, acidity regulator,...". So it would be practical if the software would recognize these single words and replace them with the respective translations when I load the translation package into Studio. TM does not help much, because each food product has different consistency.
I wonder if using Multiterm would solve this problem. I know how to
... See more
Some clients send me regularly food label translations. Sometimes there are dozens of terms in one translation unite, like "salt, water, black pepper, acidity regulator,...". So it would be practical if the software would recognize these single words and replace them with the respective translations when I load the translation package into Studio. TM does not help much, because each food product has different consistency.
I wonder if using Multiterm would solve this problem. I know how to translate these words, so the normal way of using a termbase does not help, when it displays the translations in a separate window.
One other approach would be MT of course.
Collapse

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm
Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:34
German to Greek
+ ...
Suggestions Jan 29, 2015

I translate labels quite often so I know well what you mean.
As far as I know, Multiterm cannot replace the words automatically BUT if you have all the ingredients in your term base you will need to type only the first letter of each ingredient and then press return. In case you have to make any edits here and there, it is even more efficient than an automatic substitution, because it allows a linear processing of the segment, without the need to position the cursor with the arrow keys or
... See more
I translate labels quite often so I know well what you mean.
As far as I know, Multiterm cannot replace the words automatically BUT if you have all the ingredients in your term base you will need to type only the first letter of each ingredient and then press return. In case you have to make any edits here and there, it is even more efficient than an automatic substitution, because it allows a linear processing of the segment, without the need to position the cursor with the arrow keys or the mouse again and again.

Another trick, used by a client of mine, is to choose the comma as a segmentation mark. In this way, each ingredient becomes a separate segment. Soon, you will have a very helpful TM that will allow the automatic translation that you want.
If you already have a rich term base, you can export it into Excel and import it in a TM to start with.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good advice, Anna Jan 29, 2015

Is it possible in Studio 2014 to set the comma as a segmentation mark? I could not find the place where this can be done.
In any case the client pretranslates the files and only sends a package, where the segments are normally segmented.

[Bearbeitet am 2015-01-29 15:02 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Segmenting on a comma may not be the best approach... Jan 29, 2015

... although I see your problem. Perhaps the Terminjector would be useful here as this could replace the words in the TU with their translations just from a pretranslate.

Regards

Paul

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Ask the client to send you the file separately Jan 29, 2015

Ask the client to format the text, or if the client is not able to do that (or does not understand...) ask for the file separately as well.

You can add files to a package project like any other - I did it today. The client sent 70 words in a mail, but I wanted to use the TM for consistency.

I am not sure you can send a package back, but you can send an sdlxliff file and a copy of the target, which should be what they need.

You can also split segments at any
... See more
Ask the client to format the text, or if the client is not able to do that (or does not understand...) ask for the file separately as well.

You can add files to a package project like any other - I did it today. The client sent 70 words in a mail, but I wanted to use the TM for consistency.

I am not sure you can send a package back, but you can send an sdlxliff file and a copy of the target, which should be what they need.

You can also split segments at any point you like, which might be the easiest solution, but it might take some time.

Studio 2009 used to seize up if I split segments more than once or twice, and while Studio 2011 and 2014 are far more stable in that respect, there might be a limit to the number of times you can do it... so take backups and be prepared to start again if you do try that!
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Page not found Jan 29, 2015

SDL Support wrote:

... although I see your problem. Perhaps the Terminjector would be useful here as this could replace the words in the TU with their translations just from a pretranslate.

Regards

Paul

I tried to download Terminjector, but the page was not found.

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm
Germany
German to Greek
+ ...
comma as a segmentation mark Jan 29, 2015

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Is it possible in Studio 2014 to set the comma as a segmentation mark? I could not find the place where this can be done.

Here, in a similar case:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/250100-comma_delimitation_in_studio_2011.html

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm
Germany
German to Greek
+ ...
Just finished the installation... Jan 29, 2015

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Try again! (You need to login with your SDL credentials.)

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Worth trying a different browser perhaps? Jan 29, 2015

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Hello Heinrich,

I just tested this (and I'm not in the office today) and it worked for me so perhaps it is a browser thing? Our login is temperamental sometimes. I use Chrome as a general rule and this worked fine.

If you still have a problem drop me an email and I'll place the installer somewhere easier to pick it up.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got it Jan 30, 2015

Probably the system dropped my login when changing to the download page.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Will Multiterm replace words on loading of project?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »