Trados Studio 2011: a bilingual document opens only partially
Thread poster: Alyona Douglas
Alyona Douglas
Alyona Douglas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:03
English to Russian
Jan 29, 2015

I have a problem translating a file received from the client that had been previously pre-translated in Trados (it is considered bi-lingual). When I open it in Trados Studio 2011, it opens but I see only 2 lines (=segments) from the whole documents which is several pages long. The rest of the text is missing. What am I doing wrong? Thank you for any help!

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 11:03
French to German
+ ...
Document must be fully pre-segmented Jan 30, 2015

Alyona

You did not mention what bilingual format this document is (bilingual Word or TTX).

In case it is a bilingual WORD, check that your document has been fully pre-segmented as this is a prerequisite for Studio to properly recognise it. You can do this easily by opening the document in Word and enable displaying all special characters. You will then see if the purple segments separators are present everywhere or only for the first two segments.

Walter

Minh Nguyen
Minh Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 17:03
English to Vietnamese
Billingual Word File Jan 30, 2015

Alyona Douglas wrote:

I have a problem translating a file received from the client that had been previously pre-translated in Trados (it is considered bi-lingual). When I open it in Trados Studio 2011, it opens but I see only 2 lines (=segments) from the whole documents which is several pages long. The rest of the text is missing. What am I doing wrong? Thank you for any help!

I guess you are talking about the Bilingual Word file. If this is the case then you can download Wordfast Classic and pre-segment the file (copying all source segments to target segments) and open the pre-segmented file in Trados Studio. Clear copied target segments in Studio and continue to translate.

Hope this helps.

LD

Alyona Douglas
Alyona Douglas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:03
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
It's not fully pre-segmented Jan 30, 2015

Walter Blaser wrote:

Alyona

You did not mention what bilingual format this document is (bilingual Word or TTX).

In case it is a bilingual WORD, check that your document has been fully pre-segmented as this is a prerequisite for Studio to properly recognise it. You can do this easily by opening the document in Word and enable displaying all special characters. You will then see if the purple segments separators are present everywhere or only for the first two segments.

Walter

Thank you for your answer, Walter! The document is not fully pre-segmented. So how do I pre-segment it? Can I do it in Trados Studio 2011, or is it possible to do it only in Wordfast Classic, as Linh suggested?

[Edited at 2015-01-30 15:00 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2011: a bilingual document opens only partially

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »