ACBLanguages
ACBLanguages  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:00
Member (2015)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 7, 2015

Hi all, I would like to start out as a freelancer soon and I was thinking about what device to use for translating: desktop or laptop. I actually believe it would be handy if I could use both as sometimes it's convenient when being able to work out of your home.

Anyway, my question is: If I purchase Trados Studio 2014, can I use it on multiple devices? Or would I need two seperate licences?

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:00
Finnish to French
Freelance vs. Freelance Plus Feb 7, 2015

There are two flavours of Studio 2014 for freelancers: Freelance and Freelance Plus. You need to pay €160 extra for the latter, based on list prices (€855 - €695).

If you have Freelance Plus, you can install and license the software on two different computers.

If you have Freelance ("non-Plus"), you can install it on two computers, but it can only be licensed on one computer at a time. You would need to move your license back and forth between this two computers.
... See more
There are two flavours of Studio 2014 for freelancers: Freelance and Freelance Plus. You need to pay €160 extra for the latter, based on list prices (€855 - €695).

If you have Freelance Plus, you can install and license the software on two different computers.

If you have Freelance ("non-Plus"), you can install it on two computers, but it can only be licensed on one computer at a time. You would need to move your license back and forth between this two computers. The process (deactivating/activating) is explained on SDL's YouTube channel.
Collapse

MELANIA ORTEGA PADIAL
MELANIA ORTEGA PADIAL
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
Further question Feb 9, 2015

Hi,

I have an additional question about this topic. My husband and myself are translators and sometimes we work at the same time. If I can install Freelance Plus in two devices, can they be working at the same time with one license?

Thanks a lot!

Melania Ortega

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:00
Finnish to French
Read the license agreement Feb 9, 2015

MELANIA ORTEGA PADIAL wrote:
My husband and myself are translators and sometimes we work at the same time. If I can install Freelance Plus in two devices, can they be working at the same time with one license?

The purpose of a Freelance Plus license is to let a single translator use two computers, not to allow two translators to share a single license.

Technically speaking, there is no mechanism that can detect Studio is being used on both computers by two different people at the same time.

If you can't afford two separate Studio licenses, you should consider less expensive tools (there's no shortage of them).

[Edited at 2015-02-09 15:48 GMT]

ACBLanguages
ACBLanguages  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2015)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 9, 2015

Thank you, that was a clear answer!

Dominique Pivard wrote:

If you have Freelance ("non-Plus"), you can install it on two computers, but it can only be licensed on one computer at a time. You would need to move your license back and forth between this two computers. The process (deactivating/activating) is explained on SDL's YouTube channel.

Richard Hall
Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:00
Italian to English
+ ...
Mar 4, 2015

[Edited at 2015-03-04 08:33 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Trados Studio 2014 on multiple devices

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »