How to get started with Studio 2014 - Training!!
Thread poster: Filipa Plant dos Santos
Filipa Plant dos Santos
Filipa Plant dos Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:20
Portuguese to English
Feb 25, 2015

Hi there everyone!

I have Studio 2011, but am thinking of upgrading now to Studio 2014.

In the past, with Studio 2009 and then 2011, I bought and installed the program and then immediately bought a training program + exam from the SDL site, which is what I used with both programs to learn what to do.

Do you know those courses I'm talking about? They were in the SDL shop together with the programs. There was a manual you could download (I would get these pri
... See more
Hi there everyone!

I have Studio 2011, but am thinking of upgrading now to Studio 2014.

In the past, with Studio 2009 and then 2011, I bought and installed the program and then immediately bought a training program + exam from the SDL site, which is what I used with both programs to learn what to do.

Do you know those courses I'm talking about? They were in the SDL shop together with the programs. There was a manual you could download (I would get these printed out and bound at the copy shop - the links didn't work then but that didn't matter too much) - and then after 'studying' the manual and practising on the program, there was an online test, consisting of 30 multiple choice questions, that you could take to achieve your certification, either beginners, intermediate or advanced depending on the level you'd bought. This cost around 75 euros if I remember right.

Anway- I was looking for these for Studio 2014 but they have disappeared!

There is now a certification exam at various levels you can buy, but I don't think this includes a manual or any training at all.

They offer something called "classroom-based teaching" but .... where is this so-called classroom???

They also say that we can do online courses, such as those offered by Proz, to get the required training. I don't really like online courses - I prefer to sit staring at the screen and then stare at a manual and then back to the screen again - the slow method!!!! then when I forget I can pull the manual out again!!!

Now - this week I have very little work, and tomorrow morning would be ideal to buy and install Studio 2014, but looking on Proz, the next available beginners part 1 course is on March 25.

I could book a place on this and then buy the program just before, but I'm worried that I might be very busy or otherwise unavailable then - it's so far away!

Can anyone tell me what they did to get started?
How did you manage?

I know that there is a program manual by Mats Linder - I will get this but will it do to get started or is it for more advanced users (this does not describe me ha ha - can you tell?).

Any tips gratefully received!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Filipa
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Webinar recordings Feb 25, 2015

Hi Filipa,

I think you can watch recordings of past webinars on the SDL Trados site. Try:

http://www.translationzone.com/events/webinar-recordings/

If you scroll down you should find one about Getting started with Trados Studio 2014.

I found clients immensely helpful too when I first started with Trados (2009), but if you're use
... See more
Hi Filipa,

I think you can watch recordings of past webinars on the SDL Trados site. Try:

http://www.translationzone.com/events/webinar-recordings/

If you scroll down you should find one about Getting started with Trados Studio 2014.

I found clients immensely helpful too when I first started with Trados (2009), but if you're used to 2011, I don't think you'll find it too tricky.

Emma Goldsmith has also written a a great article on the subject of upgrading on her blog, which you may find useful:

http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/10/01/studio-2014-part-1/

Good luck - I'm sure you'll like it and wish you'd done it sooner!
Collapse

Filipa Plant dos Santos
Portugal
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
You're probably right! Feb 25, 2015

Hi Clare -

Thanks for your reply!

I've actually seen one of those getting started Webinars, ages ago, but it was very basic and my worries are the details.

I would really prefer to have a nice manual next to me, to consult at every step, but....

I think you're right and I need to jump in - also like you say I can now use 2011 - I'm not advanced, but good, so I will probably be OK with 2014, given that the programs get better and easier to use
... See more
Hi Clare -

Thanks for your reply!

I've actually seen one of those getting started Webinars, ages ago, but it was very basic and my worries are the details.

I would really prefer to have a nice manual next to me, to consult at every step, but....

I think you're right and I need to jump in - also like you say I can now use 2011 - I'm not advanced, but good, so I will probably be OK with 2014, given that the programs get better and easier to use all the time.

I think I'll do this tomorrow and will report back on how I get on!

Bye for now!

Filipa
Collapse

Filipa Plant dos Santos
Portugal
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Just watch out for your old termbases.... Feb 27, 2015

Ok - I've been getting on fine with Studio so far:

1. I followed the instructions given by Emma Goldsmith on her blog 'Signs and Symptoms of Translation' on 'How to translate your very first file in SDL Trados Studio 2014'. That was good!!

2. I thought I'd branch out on my own and add a couple of my termbases from Studio 2011. I did this, fine no problem.

3. later, when actually finally settling down to read the program instructions, under 'help topics' on
... See more
Ok - I've been getting on fine with Studio so far:

1. I followed the instructions given by Emma Goldsmith on her blog 'Signs and Symptoms of Translation' on 'How to translate your very first file in SDL Trados Studio 2014'. That was good!!

2. I thought I'd branch out on my own and add a couple of my termbases from Studio 2011. I did this, fine no problem.

3. later, when actually finally settling down to read the program instructions, under 'help topics' on the far left of your Studio 2014 screen, I looked up MultiTerm and saw this:

"When you open a termbase that is created in a version previous to MultiTerm 2009 SP3/SP4 in SDL Trados Studio, you are prompted to upgrade it to the current MultiTerm version. When a termbase is converted, the converted termbase file overwrites the original termbase in the same location.

Once a termbase has been converted to a MultiTerm 2014 format it cannot be reverted to an earlier format.

If you want to work in Studio 2014 with termbases created in MultiTerm 2009/2011 or in earlier generations, such as MultiTerm 2007 and MultiTerm iX termbases, and you also want open them in the original MultiTerm application, create copies of the termbases before you open them in Studio 2014."

So it turns out that I've (by accident!) overwritten all my termbases so now they are only suitable for working with on Studio 2014. Had I read this first (or had an ounce of sense) I would have opened a nice new folder with copies of all my termbases ready to be converted to 2014, leaving the original termbases safe in their original folder so that I could continue to use them in 2011 if needed.

Luckily I did do a termbase backup onto a flashdrive a while back, so it's not a total disaster, but still.

So it IS worth reading the instructions first.......
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get started with Studio 2014 - Training!!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »