Problem with Trados external review file
Thread poster: Sanych_Msk
Sanych_Msk
Sanych_Msk  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:42
English to Russian
Feb 25, 2015

I work with SDL Trados Studio 2014 with all the latest updates and service packs.

It is for the first time, when I decided to try this "External review" function.

I had an MS Word source file, about 40000 words, about 3000 segments.

After I made a draft translation, I've chosen "Export for external review" command. Then my file was reviewed and to some of the segments editorial amendments were made.

I inserted all amendments into the original f
... See more
I work with SDL Trados Studio 2014 with all the latest updates and service packs.

It is for the first time, when I decided to try this "External review" function.

I had an MS Word source file, about 40000 words, about 3000 segments.

After I made a draft translation, I've chosen "Export for external review" command. Then my file was reviewed and to some of the segments editorial amendments were made.

I inserted all amendments into the original filename.doc.review.docx file, trying to be very careful. I only deleted and inserted bits of text in the target text cells.

When I tried to "Update from External Review" the process started at first, but then I received an error message: "Problem when merging content of segment 1".

When I tried to change only 5 first segments in the review file (for testing) it worked OK. My amendments appeared in Editor View of Trados (with crossed-out words and underlined words). When I did real job with the whole text (it took me about two days), it failed!

Any helpful advice on this matter?
Collapse

Andrey Korobeinikov
Andrey Korobeinikov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:42
English to Russian
+ ...
Paul Filkin's blog Feb 25, 2015

Hi,

Read this http://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/07/26/efer-ad/

It really helped me last time.

Sanych_Msk
Sanych_Msk  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:42
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
It works! Feb 26, 2015

Andrey Korobeinikov wrote:
Read this http://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/07/26/efer-ad/
It really helped me last time.

Thank you very much! You helped me to resolve the problem!

(I struggled for about four days. Searching in Internet did not help me much first. Only on Wednesday evening I decided to write here. Mr. Filkin's site did not work properly this morning ... Then I managed to link to the relevant web-page ... Not the first attempt to fix the problem was lucky ... But now SUCCESS !!!)

Mr. Filkin's solution for my problem:

1. Create a new export for review file from your Project
2. Accept all the changes in the review file you can’t re-import
3. Copy the contents of the target column from this file over the target column of your new one (in my case the table was 200 pages long!)
4. Accept all the changes again because now you’ll have a sea of red!
5. Update from external review with the new one

Bottom line: Any re-writing, sending, renaming or similar procedures with External Review file may "break" it. You may afterwards read it, print is, use it, NOT import to Trados back again ,,,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with Trados external review file

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »