Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:58
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 25, 2015

I translated an excel file (97-2003) with SDL 2011, and when I try to clean it back to excel, I get the message:

'Failed to save target content. Unable to open Excel file - it may be password protected'

And it may be not, because I had no problems translating it. I have to deliver in Excel, and I don't know what to do. Is there anybody who does?

Please let me know.

Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
Local time: 23:58
English to French
+ ...
Suggestion Feb 25, 2015

One suggestion to by-pass this problem: update your main translation memory, then rename your source document and reload it as if you wanted to translate it again. All segments will be translated automatically from your translation memory. Then try to generate your target file from this translation.
This sometimes works.
Jean-Pierre

Alicia Casal
Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Studio 2014 Feb 25, 2015

Maybe it helps: I use Studio 2014 and it's very similar to 2011.

Why did you try to "clean" it back to excel?

Alicia

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clients wish Feb 25, 2015

I have to deliver in Excel, and the client doesn't work with SDL.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Try running Verify Feb 25, 2015

I wonder if some tags may be misplaced. Try running Verify to check if there are tag problems (Review > Verify)

That you could import the Excel file into Studio does not prove that it is not read only, so that's no sure indication that everything is OK.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, but.... Feb 25, 2015

tried all, but to no avail. Luckely I can copy and paste the translation, unfortunately not 1 on 1. Why? I don't know, the mystery of SDL, who is surprisingly silent.

Thank you for your input.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Save target as Feb 27, 2015

I did some experimenting and opened another excel file, consisting out of multiple columns, in Studio 2011. The way Studio opened the file is strange on itself. It didn't put the text from up to down, but from left to right, so all columns are scrambled, and I lost the logical "overview" (need a printed version of the file to see what belongs where).

Furthermore, it splits up sentences that are in one field, and don't put them back when I save the target.

This, and my o
... See more
I did some experimenting and opened another excel file, consisting out of multiple columns, in Studio 2011. The way Studio opened the file is strange on itself. It didn't put the text from up to down, but from left to right, so all columns are scrambled, and I lost the logical "overview" (need a printed version of the file to see what belongs where).

Furthermore, it splits up sentences that are in one field, and don't put them back when I save the target.

This, and my original question, are the problems I am facing. Anybody an idea?
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:58
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Comments? Feb 27, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
This, and my original question, are the problems I am facing. Anybody an idea?

I know this is Studio 2011 rather than 2014, but could comments be the cause?

Dan

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 06:58
French to English
+ ...
This may not a Studio problem - I had a similar issue (same error message) a few days ago in 2014... Feb 27, 2015

The Excel file may be corrupted. This file would not work in any Studio version on this computer, and I doubt that any other CAT can handle it either. Try saving it as a 2010 Excel first, if this doesn't work try repairing your Office installation, or even better, work on a spare computer using whatever version of Trados you have installed.
HTH,
Sandra

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Mar 2, 2015

Worksheet name (WBS) source language - target language was different (I translated it). After changing it back, SDL cleaned my target file.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Correction Mar 2, 2015

Problem half solved.

One file cleans, the other file not. So, my question is still open.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: "Failed to save target content. Unable to open Excel file..."

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »