Christian Esquivel
Christian Esquivel  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 01:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 26, 2015

Hello everyone,

After updating MS Office 2013 to MS Office 2013 SP1, the MS Word Spell Checker is no longer available in Trados Studio SP1.

It was working just fine before installing SP1 for MS Office 2013, now I get the follwoing error:

Unable to select spell checker extension.
Unable to locate if Microsoft Word is installed on this machine.

The "complete your file in Trados and then spell check the target file once you're done" workarou
... See more
Hello everyone,

After updating MS Office 2013 to MS Office 2013 SP1, the MS Word Spell Checker is no longer available in Trados Studio SP1.

It was working just fine before installing SP1 for MS Office 2013, now I get the follwoing error:

Unable to select spell checker extension.
Unable to locate if Microsoft Word is installed on this machine.

The "complete your file in Trados and then spell check the target file once you're done" workaround doesn't work for me as this is a large file and it would mean I would have to go all over it again, plus I don't want my TM being updated with spèlling errors.

The HunSpell Spell Checker doesn't seem to work at all; it doesn't detect any errors and under dictionaries all I have is one called CUSTOM.

I still don't want to install SP2 for Trados 2014 as I have seen in many forums that many people are complaining about quite a number of bugs.

Is there a way to actually solve this?

Any help is very appreciated.

Kind regards.
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 08:53
French to German
+ ...
Does the spellchecker work inside Word? Feb 26, 2015

Did you check whether the spellchecker works fine in Word after you did the upgrade?

If Studio does not recognize Word's spellchecker, it is most probably because something is wrong in the MS Office configuration. The error message you mention also points in that direction.

Walter

Christian Esquivel
Colombia
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, spellchecker works fine in MS Word 2013 Feb 26, 2015

Hi there,

Yes, Walter. I checked and MS Word 2013 is working just fine as well as its spell checker.

I'll make sure there are no issues with MS Office configuration.

I'll post again if I am able to solve the problem by applying some tweaks here and there to MS Word.

Thanks.

[Edited at 2015-02-26 11:36 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 08:53
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Update Studio anyway Feb 26, 2015

Looking at the people complaining about bugs is a little bit like looking at a car mechanic's workshop and saying cars don't work...

... while most of them are out on the road with no problems.

OK, I know the feeling. I too have wailed "oh, no, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" every time a Trados Workbench update was announced.

Studio is MUCH better in my experience. I for one have not had any bugs with Studio 2014.

If it doesn't solve your pr
... See more
Looking at the people complaining about bugs is a little bit like looking at a car mechanic's workshop and saying cars don't work...

... while most of them are out on the road with no problems.

OK, I know the feeling. I too have wailed "oh, no, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" every time a Trados Workbench update was announced.

Studio is MUCH better in my experience. I for one have not had any bugs with Studio 2014.

If it doesn't solve your problem, contact SDL.
Collapse

Christian Esquivel
Colombia
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Haven't been able to sort it out yet... Feb 27, 2015

I checked the config for MS Office Word and verything seems fine.

I guess I'll have to install SP2 for Trados Studio 2014, but just the same I will wait some more before going down that road.

Maybe I'm too cautious or paranoid but I always wait when new versions are released because of buggy software and so far I haven't been proven wrong as I waited quite some time to go from Windows 7 to 8.1 (installed 8.1 about two weeks ago) and the same when migrating from MS Offic
... See more
I checked the config for MS Office Word and verything seems fine.

I guess I'll have to install SP2 for Trados Studio 2014, but just the same I will wait some more before going down that road.

Maybe I'm too cautious or paranoid but I always wait when new versions are released because of buggy software and so far I haven't been proven wrong as I waited quite some time to go from Windows 7 to 8.1 (installed 8.1 about two weeks ago) and the same when migrating from MS Office 2010 to MS Office 2013 and the same for my smartphone's firmware and I always get as many bugs as one can get and need to install service packs, knowledge bases, and apply a number of tweaks here and there to get everything working, so I'm definetely going to wait to install Studio's SP2.

Just the same, if anyone comes across a fix for this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

[Edited at 2015-02-27 01:04 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2014 SP1 - MS Word Spell Checker unavailable

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »