help needed- Is it possible to upload glossary in .txt format?
Thread poster: Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:06
Spanish to English
Feb 27, 2015

I would like to know if it is possible to upload glossaries to termbase in .txt format?, and if so how.
many thanks

Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:06
German to English
In principle yes. Feb 27, 2015

It depends though exactly what you mean by "upload". Is the glossary already in *.txt format? Do you want to create a term base or do you have a term base that you would like to convert to a *.txt file.

In the SDL App Store there is a free Glossary Converter that can deal with all of the above situations.

Ben

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
text format for termbase/ glossary Feb 27, 2015

I have been working with Wordfast anywhere, where the glossary files have to be uploaded to the system in .txt format.

So all my glossary documents are in .txt files, but when I try to add glossary file to Trados in .txt format, it seems that this format is not supported.

If this makes any sense.

[Edited at 2015-02-27 18:48 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
What are TXT files? Feb 27, 2015

Hi Luke,

TXT is just a file extension. The layout of the file inside the TXT could be absolutely anything. So whilst you can in principle convert TXT files I think you still need to pay attention to the format of the data within.

I've never played with Wordfast Glossaries so I don't know what these look like, but if you want to share a sample with me I'll happily take a look?

Regards

Paul
... See more
Hi Luke,

TXT is just a file extension. The layout of the file inside the TXT could be absolutely anything. So whilst you can in principle convert TXT files I think you still need to pay attention to the format of the data within.

I've never played with Wordfast Glossaries so I don't know what these look like, but if you want to share a sample with me I'll happily take a look?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 10:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
I suggest ... Feb 27, 2015

... that you would to well to Read, Mark, Learn and Inwardly Digest* all this:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/282482-recommended_guide_for_trados_2014_advice_needed.html

before setting out on a linguistic hang-gliding expedition (aka: uploading a glossary in a potentially incompatible format).<
... See more
... that you would to well to Read, Mark, Learn and Inwardly Digest* all this:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/282482-recommended_guide_for_trados_2014_advice_needed.html

before setting out on a linguistic hang-gliding expedition (aka: uploading a glossary in a potentially incompatible format).

RL

* attributed to Thomas Cranmer (Book of Common Prayer of the Anglican Church).
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
On my own question... Feb 28, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

... I created a Wordfast glossary and took a look. If you open it with Excel you get everything neatly formatted in columns. So you just delete the columns you don't want and it's simple. I did notice that if you use the description field in Wordfasts simple glossary format that the TXT doesn't contain this, so it looks as though that information might be lost. But I could easily have done something wrong as this was the first time I have looked at one of these and I can't find an easy way to see whether I actually saved the descriptions anyway!

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
how to add glossaries to termbase Feb 28, 2015

Thanks for those replies.

My glossaries are 'Tab delimited text files' , that I am trying to add/upload to termbase.,
I have googled about multiterm and read about converting excel file to multiterm files, but have not been able to find out anything about Tab delimited text files yet.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
So were mine... Feb 28, 2015

... just open them in Excel so you have the tab delimited information in columns. gewt rid of the columns you don't need which probably means delete them all apart from the ones containing the source and target terms, save the file as Excel and then convert the Excel file using the Glossary Converter using a simple drag and drop.

Alternatively, if you love Multiterm Convert just create your MultiTerm XDT and XML using MultiTerm Convert, then create a termbase in MultiTerm using the
... See more
... just open them in Excel so you have the tab delimited information in columns. gewt rid of the columns you don't need which probably means delete them all apart from the ones containing the source and target terms, save the file as Excel and then convert the Excel file using the Glossary Converter using a simple drag and drop.

Alternatively, if you love Multiterm Convert just create your MultiTerm XDT and XML using MultiTerm Convert, then create a termbase in MultiTerm using the XDT and then import the XML into it.

Either way is pretty simple but the Glossary Converter is by far the easiest way.

Or email me your TXT and I'll be happy to do this for you and explain the steps so you know next time.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
[email protected]
Collapse

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
how to add glossaries to termbase Feb 28, 2015

@SDL Community

I may email you later.
My glossary files that are in wordfast are Tab delimited text.
when I download them them have additional info, but I will email you my gloss.
and see if you can guide me a little.

will do some more research.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Thanks for the information... Mar 2, 2015

... and for helping me with some real data. I thought it might be helpful to share some of the things I looked at after this discussion in a blog article which attempts to look at the sort of resources you can take from Wordfast and use elsewhere.

Regards

Paul
blog article which attempts to look at the sort of resources you can take from Wordfast and use elsewhere.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

help needed- Is it possible to upload glossary in .txt format?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »