freemover
freemover  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:35
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 1, 2015

Hi everyone,

I successfully completed the SP2 update for my SDL Trados 2014.

After that the pdf conversion tool in word does not work anymore. No error msg is appearing. The file is simply empty.

I tried with other pdf documents, but it was the same!

When I work with other formats, everything is working fine.

Please advise if you are experiencing the same issue!

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Scanned PDF? Mar 1, 2015

Have you checked you're not trying to import scanned PDF files? Only editable ones can be opened in Studio.

freemover
Germany
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Editable pdf is working Mar 1, 2015

Hi Emma,

thank you very much for your solution!

Actually I tried with an other document that I was sure to be editable and in it works fine!

Your tip was very useful to me! I didn't know that you can not process a scanned pdf document.

Bye Bye

Freemover

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Converting PDFs - by Jerzy Czopic Mar 1, 2015

If you want to learn more about PDF conversion, this recorded webinar (in German) might be a good starting point: https://alexandria-translation-resources.com/product/video-pdf-umwandlung-jerzy-czopik/

[Edited at 2015-03-01 12:03 GMT]

OCR Software Mar 2, 2015

Hi Freemover,

Some Studio users have successfully used Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software before entering the file into Studio.

This software will read the scanned in text and produce a text based file for you, which will be compatible with Studio.

Kind Regards,

Steven Barlow

SDL Customer Experience Executive.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
If you do use OCR, check the language settings, and run s spell check afterwards! Mar 2, 2015

If you try OCR, make sure you adjust any language settings correctly, and use the clearest resolution of your text. Blurred print produces errors. The latest Adobe Acrobat has settings that work for me.

My source language is Danish, and until quite recently I have dismissed a lot of OCR as unusable, because there are three extra letters in the Danish alphabet, and the results of OCR are so full of errors that they are useless in a CAT anyway. (The letters are æ, ø and å, and capi
... See more
If you try OCR, make sure you adjust any language settings correctly, and use the clearest resolution of your text. Blurred print produces errors. The latest Adobe Acrobat has settings that work for me.

My source language is Danish, and until quite recently I have dismissed a lot of OCR as unusable, because there are three extra letters in the Danish alphabet, and the results of OCR are so full of errors that they are useless in a CAT anyway. (The letters are æ, ø and å, and capitals Æ, Ø and Å.)

It may occasionally be worthwhile running a 'search and replace', or in practice six for Danish, if the garbled characters are used consistently, but often they are not.

A spell check helps sometimes, but not always.

I suspect the same applies to other languages with diacritics and special characters. If the text is too garbled, then the CAT cannot recognise the errors. If you have to spend a lot of time pre-editing the source before you can translate, then sometimes it is quicker just to do with out the CAT.

I always ask clients if they can get me source texts in CAT-readable formats. Often they can't, but it is worth a try.

Best of luck!
Collapse

freemover
Germany
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ocr settings Mar 7, 2015

Hi everyone,
I optimized the OCR settings by choosing the primary language and the clearScan mode. The result was good. German letters with umlaut like ä, ö and so one were appearing right. Here and there some spell mistakes but the correction was fast and last not least I was able to work with trados.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF file is empty in the editor view

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »