Thread poster: Mari Carmen Civera
Mari Carmen Civera
Mari Carmen Civera
Local time: 21:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 2, 2015

Hi there,

I'm translating some XML files with Studio 2014 and the segmentation looks very weird...

For example, the following sentence is split in 6 segments, when it's just one.

[Refer:
Illustrative Examples, example 1 Statement of financial position
and
example 2 Statement of financial position
Basis for Conclusions paragraph BC67
]

I've tried to amend the segmentation rules but it still doesn't work. Do you ha
... See more
Hi there,

I'm translating some XML files with Studio 2014 and the segmentation looks very weird...

[Refer:
and
]

I've tried to amend the segmentation rules but it still doesn't work. Do you have any ideas on how to solve this?

Many thanks for your help
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:19
English
If it's XML... Mar 2, 2015

[quote]Mari Carmen Civera wrote:

Hi there,

and
]

I've tried to amend the segmentation rules but it still doesn't work. Do you have any ideas on how to solve this?

Many thanks for your help

... then the segmentation can also be controlled by the parser rules. What does the XML itself look like? My guess is that these separate segments are all controlled by being within different elements

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support.

Mari Carmen Civera
Mari Carmen Civera
Local time: 21:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it's XML... Mar 3, 2015

But is there anything that can be done to have those segments just as 1?

When you ask what the XML looks like, what do you mean...?

Thanks!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:19
English
The actual XML file itself Mar 3, 2015

Hi Mari Carmen,

An XML file can be written in any number of ways with different types of tags, with only some being translatable and some definitley not translatable, some being inline and some being external. When you open an XML file in STuidio it will use the default XML filtype. But if your specific XML filetype has been created in such a way that special rules are needed to make sure the elements in the file are joined together, or not, then you must create a custom XML filet
... See more
Hi Mari Carmen,

An XML file can be written in any number of ways with different types of tags, with only some being translatable and some definitley not translatable, some being inline and some being external. When you open an XML file in STuidio it will use the default XML filtype. But if your specific XML filetype has been created in such a way that special rules are needed to make sure the elements in the file are joined together, or not, then you must create a custom XML filetype for this. You can find an article on this subject here: http://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/06/01/custom-xml/

So if you are unfamiliar with this then feel free to send me your XML file and I'll explain the steps you need to go through to achieve what you want.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
[email protected]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 - problems with segmentation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »