Thread poster: Thomas Prager
Thomas Prager
Thomas Prager  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:24
English to German
Mar 5, 2015

Hi,

when I open a given Word doc (Word 2007) in Trados 2014, the segmentation of the text in Trados is all over the place and does not correspond with the structure of the text at all. How does Trados 2014 determine how to segment a text and can I influence this behaviour? Can I change the segmentation once I opened the file in Trados 2014?

Thanks, Thomas

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:24
English
Segmentation Rule Mar 5, 2015

Hi,

You can edit the segmentation rules to change the way files are segmented. But with a doc file it may be that the hard break is the culprit here. Some authors, who don't realise the problems this can cause in a translation workflow, incorectly use hard breaks where line breaks would have a better choice, or you might even be dealing with a crapy PDF conversion. If this is the case you would be better off tidyting this up in the word file before you start.

Regards
... See more
Hi,

You can edit the segmentation rules to change the way files are segmented. But with a doc file it may be that the hard break is the culprit here. Some authors, who don't realise the problems this can cause in a translation workflow, incorectly use hard breaks where line breaks would have a better choice, or you might even be dealing with a crapy PDF conversion. If this is the case you would be better off tidyting this up in the word file before you start.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Improve segmentation when importing word doc into Trados 2014

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »