Juha Uusikartano
Juha Uusikartano  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:12
Member (2013)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Mar 28, 2015

Hi folks, I got Trados project to proof-read, and as I usually work with Studio as translator only, I am a bit lost with this review thing. My problem is as follows:

I noticed that the reviewed translation is missing some of the tags that are in source, so I tried the usual Quickplace to add them. The result is that I can insert the opening tag, but not the closing tag (which has appeared as 'inactive' blue after the opening tag).

I tried to 'Restore' this end tag but
... See more
Hi folks, I got Trados project to proof-read, and as I usually work with Studio as translator only, I am a bit lost with this review thing. My problem is as follows:

I noticed that the reviewed translation is missing some of the tags that are in source, so I tried the usual Quickplace to add them. The result is that I can insert the opening tag, but not the closing tag (which has appeared as 'inactive' blue after the opening tag).

I tried to 'Restore' this end tag but it doesn't appear to work. I tried various copy/paste ways from source too, but end end result is the same. I can see no way of adding the end tag. (And regular mouse copy/paste won't work either, I have to Ctrl+V to paste)?

And it doesn't help the confusion that 'track changes' is on, there are tags everwhere... is it possible to turn this off/hide it? I guess so, but I haven't see where.

Am I screwed with this project, or is there a way to sort out the tags? Would be grateful of any tips, please?
Collapse

Juha Uusikartano
Finland
Member (2013)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got it now, maybe? Mar 28, 2015

Ah, I seem to have found a solution that works for now: I first highlight a section text around which I want to place the tag pair, then click Quickplace, and the tags are inserted correctly. For some reason the review doesn't want to apply the tag pair singly, you need to apply them as pairs?

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 18:12
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Tag pairs go in pairs Mar 28, 2015

You are quite right - Studio treat tag pairs as pairs, so that you had to apply them in one go, the way you indicated.

If you want to apply source and target tag separately, you would have to open the sdlxliff file in a different program. I often use Dejavu for that, since there the tags are numbered so you see at once what tag belongs were, and I find that easier than the way it is done in Studio.

I haven't been reviewing files myself, but if you go to the Review tab,
... See more
You are quite right - Studio treat tag pairs as pairs, so that you had to apply them in one go, the way you indicated.

If you want to apply source and target tag separately, you would have to open the sdlxliff file in a different program. I often use Dejavu for that, since there the tags are numbered so you see at once what tag belongs were, and I find that easier than the way it is done in Studio.

I haven't been reviewing files myself, but if you go to the Review tab, you will find the Track Changes pane. To the left there you have a large Track Changes button that you use for turning track changes on or off.

I would think, though, that the agency would want you to have that turned on, in case they want to send back the project to the translator for approval.
Collapse

Juha Uusikartano
Finland
Member (2013)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Right you are Mar 28, 2015

Ok, thanks Roy. It's just that in translation mode you CAN insert tags from a tag pair individually, and that's how I am accustomed to inserting them. I just didn't think you need to apply them with this 'paint' style. Odd really.

Yes, I agree it's best to keep track changes on, and not mess with that. I just thought if there was a way to hide them temporarily like in MS Word, where it's sometimes useful, so you can check you don't leave any extras spaces etc.

[Edited at 2015
... See more
Ok, thanks Roy. It's just that in translation mode you CAN insert tags from a tag pair individually, and that's how I am accustomed to inserting them. I just didn't think you need to apply them with this 'paint' style. Odd really.

Yes, I agree it's best to keep track changes on, and not mess with that. I just thought if there was a way to hide them temporarily like in MS Word, where it's sometimes useful, so you can check you don't leave any extras spaces etc.

[Edited at 2015-03-28 15:56 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 tag confusion 'in Review'

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »