Best practice for installing Studio in a virtualisation environment
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:40
Mar 28, 2015

In the past I've installed/configured Studio so that projects were placed in a network folder that was shared with the host operating system. This seemed a good idea at the time.

Since then I had to switch to another virtualisation environment (because Parallels Desktop isn't really suited for an iMac Retina). This environment has it's own shared network folders, which results in Studio not finding the file that contains previous projects (BTW: the other 3 dominant CAT tools didn't
... See more
In the past I've installed/configured Studio so that projects were placed in a network folder that was shared with the host operating system. This seemed a good idea at the time.

Since then I had to switch to another virtualisation environment (because Parallels Desktop isn't really suited for an iMac Retina). This environment has it's own shared network folders, which results in Studio not finding the file that contains previous projects (BTW: the other 3 dominant CAT tools didn't have any problems with the migration from Parallels Desktop to VMware Fusion).

I guess that it's better to use Dropbox for sharing files between Studio and the host OS. A path like c:\users\hans\dropbox\sdl should be the same in all virtualisation environments.

I'll now wait for an answer from Support and else I'll deactivate and reinstall Studio. That would be the clumsy way.
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 23:40
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Studio project list is stored in the Projects.xml file Mar 29, 2015

The information about the current project list is stored in the Projects.xml file that by default is located in:

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\Studio 2014\Projects\

Could it be that it was overwritten when you switched to VM Fusion (reinstalled Studio?) and therefore is now empty? In this case navigate to the folder of the required project and open the .sdlproj file.

If this is not the case, or if you want to store this file in a different location, you mi
... See more
The information about the current project list is stored in the Projects.xml file that by default is located in:

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\Studio 2014\Projects\

Could it be that it was overwritten when you switched to VM Fusion (reinstalled Studio?) and therefore is now empty? In this case navigate to the folder of the required project and open the .sdlproj file.

If this is not the case, or if you want to store this file in a different location, you might want to use the advice on how to edit the Sdl.ProjectApi.xml file to change the location of Studio's projects.xml file.

[Edited at 2015-03-29 08:40 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Just a quick note... Mar 29, 2015

... that I changed the path to the location of the ProjectAPI file for Studio 2014 in the article Shai referred to. It's now this:

c:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\ProjectApi\11.0.0.0\

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! SOLVED Mar 30, 2015

Thank you both, Shai and Paul.

I've changed my \\psf path in:

c:\Users\hans\AppData\Roaming\SDL\ProjectApi\11.0.0.0\Sdl.ProjectApi.xml

to LocalDataFolder="c:\Users\hans\Dropbox\SDL\

I also adapted the path in projects.xml to:

ProjectTemplateFilePath="c:\Users\hans\Documents\Studio 2014\Project Templates\Default.sdltpl

Now everything works fine, except for one display problem, that I'll report in a new topic... See more
Thank you both, Shai and Paul.

I've changed my \\psf path in:

c:\Users\hans\AppData\Roaming\SDL\ProjectApi\11.0.0.0\Sdl.ProjectApi.xml

to LocalDataFolder="c:\Users\hans\Dropbox\SDL\

I also adapted the path in projects.xml to:

ProjectTemplateFilePath="c:\Users\hans\Documents\Studio 2014\Project Templates\Default.sdltpl

Now everything works fine, except for one display problem, that I'll report in a new topic.

Thanks again. Much appreciated!

Hans
Collapse

Laurent Tantôt
Laurent Tantôt
Canada
Local time: 16:40
English to French
The only problem with your solution… Mar 30, 2015

…is that you have now a duplicate Dropbox folder on your iMac. You have your Dropbox folder in your OS X environment, and now you have the same folder and all its content in your virtual machine.

Laurent.

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Different Dropboxes Mar 30, 2015

Those are different Dropbox accounts. The Windows Dropbox is shared as Dropbox folder with the Mac Dropbox. And it only contains projects that I have to QA. As soon as they are delivered, they can be deleted. I do everything on the Mac side.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best practice for installing Studio in a virtualisation environment

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »