Possible to create a new project without running pre-translate?
Thread poster: Marceline
Marceline
Marceline
United States
Local time: 08:58
Japanese to English
Mar 31, 2015

Is it possible to create a new project containing several files, but to skip the "pre-translate" part of the batch process sequence?

Thanks,
Marceline

Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
Local time: 11:58
English to French
+ ...
What software are you using? Mar 31, 2015

And what version?

Jean-Pierre

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:58
German to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 31, 2015

Just select 'Analyse only' from the dropdown in the final stage of the project creation dialogue box. That's what I usually do.

Marceline
Marceline
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
2014, with the latest update. Mar 31, 2015

Jean-Pierre Artigau wrote:

And what version?

Jean-Pierre

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:58
English
Exactly... Mar 31, 2015

Richard Foulkes wrote:

Just select 'Analyse only' from the dropdown in the final stage of the project creation dialogue box. That's what I usually do.

... and this works with 2009, 2011 and 2014.

If you have the Professional version you can create a custom task to simply create the project with the files ready for translation. No analysis or pretranslation at all... so very fast.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Marceline
Marceline
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the information... Apr 2, 2015

I can see how it works now.

Unfortunately, I have SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance and none of the options are very appealing, and the option to edit or create batch sequences is grayed out.

I can "Prepare without project TM" but that runs "Pre-translate" which I am trying to avoid
Or I can "Analyze only" but that creates a project memory, which is also something that I'd like to avoid as it just creates more files that I don't need.

Basically, it s
... See more
I can see how it works now.

Unfortunately, I have SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance and none of the options are very appealing, and the option to edit or create batch sequences is grayed out.

I can "Prepare without project TM" but that runs "Pre-translate" which I am trying to avoid
Or I can "Analyze only" but that creates a project memory, which is also something that I'd like to avoid as it just creates more files that I don't need.

Basically, it seems like what I need is "Analyze only without project TM," but it's not available to me.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Maybe change your method a little... Apr 2, 2015

... and do this:

1. Create a project
  2. Do not add any TMs at all
  3. Use the Prepare Batch Task as normal

Because there are no TMs you will see an error message but this is just information to tell you there were no TMs. Once you have done this you'll have your Project created quickly. Now go to your Project Settings, add the TMs you want and
... See more
... and do this:

1. Create a project
  2. Do not add any TMs at all
  3. Use the Prepare Batch Task as normal

Because there are no TMs you will see an error message but this is just information to tell you there were no TMs. Once you have done this you'll have your Project created quickly. Now go to your Project Settings, add the TMs you want and run the analysis batch task.

Might be better for the way you wish to work without the ability to create customised tasks.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Marceline
Marceline
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I will have to ponder the best option. Apr 3, 2015

Right now I have a project template setup for each client, and that template includes elements such as the TM field update for that client and a client-specific Termbase for each client. So I kind of hate to give that up. But your suggestion might be the best option when I really need to avoid the pre-translate routine. This is mainly when a client wants me to translate only certain sections of a document, so I need to make sure that the segments the client doesn't want me to translate are left ... See more
Right now I have a project template setup for each client, and that template includes elements such as the TM field update for that client and a client-specific Termbase for each client. So I kind of hate to give that up. But your suggestion might be the best option when I really need to avoid the pre-translate routine. This is mainly when a client wants me to translate only certain sections of a document, so I need to make sure that the segments the client doesn't want me to translate are left untouched. Fortunately I don't get too many projects like that, so I guess I can just use the method that you described in those cases.

Thanks for your help.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
You can still use your templates... Apr 3, 2015

... just disable the TMs (no need to remove them) when you prepare the project.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible to create a new project without running pre-translate?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »