Ray Culp
Ray Culp
Germany
Local time: 02:49
English to German
+ ...
Apr 1, 2015

Hello everyone

I was wondering if someone here could provide some insight on the compatibility between the two versions of Trados mentioned above.

I am evaluating whether to purchase Trados Studio 2014.

Some of the translators I intend to delegate translation jobs to report that they are using Trados 2008.

Is it possible to use Trados 2008 to open and process a translation job package that was created using Trados 2014?

If it is no
... See more
Hello everyone

I was wondering if someone here could provide some insight on the compatibility between the two versions of Trados mentioned above.

I am evaluating whether to purchase Trados Studio 2014.

Some of the translators I intend to delegate translation jobs to report that they are using Trados 2008.

Is it possible to use Trados 2008 to open and process a translation job package that was created using Trados 2014?

If it is not directly possible, is there a work-around?

I can't seem to find a good answer on the Internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Ray
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Check if 2008 can work with xliff files Apr 1, 2015

If Trados 2008 can translate sdlxliff files, you should be fine.

You cannot work directly with a Studio 2014 package, but apparently it's really just a zip files. In it you can extract the xliff files that you would need to do the translation.

[Edited at 2015-04-01 17:01 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
There is no Trados 2008! Apr 1, 2015

Hi,

I guess you meant Trados 2007 as this was the last version of Trados ever released. It can handle XLIFF but does a very poor job on an SDLXLIFF. However, you could use the Legacy Converter to convert the SDLXLIFF files for TTX and then handle TTX files in Trados 2007, finally updating the SDLXLIFF with the Legacy Converter again when the work is complete.

Regards... See more
Hi,

I guess you meant Trados 2007 as this was the last version of Trados ever released. It can handle XLIFF but does a very poor job on an SDLXLIFF. However, you could use the Legacy Converter to convert the SDLXLIFF files for TTX and then handle TTX files in Trados 2007, finally updating the SDLXLIFF with the Legacy Converter again when the work is complete.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Ray Culp
Ray Culp
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 2, 2015

Thank you for the replies and suggestions!

I have no idea which Trados version it actually is, but apparently the translator who uses it doesn't know either, which I find more worrying.

Regards

Ray

[Edited at 2015-04-02 01:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-02 01:06 GMT]

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
It is so simple to find out which version one uses Apr 2, 2015

Ray Culp wrote:

I have no idea which Trados version it actually is, but apparently the translator who uses it doesn't know either, which I find more worrying.
Ray

Yes, I am really surprised how many users are not able to tell us which version of the software they use, although it only requires to click on "Help - About" to find out.

The menu may sometimes be labelled slightly differently, but it can be found in most SW applications and it is not different in SDL Trados' applications.

Walter

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
As you no by now, the answer is NO! Apr 2, 2015

I still have 2007 and worked the whole line off from Studio 2009 till 2014.

2007 and Studio (2009/2011/2014) are totally different tools, like MemoQ and Wordfast. You can work with 2007 extensions in Studio, but not the other way around. Why? Ask SDL.

Furthermore, because it is not supported anymore, it becomes less and less compatible with all the new(er) Window versions. (I wonder how 2007, which development stopped with XP, will perform in Windows 10, which is due th
... See more
I still have 2007 and worked the whole line off from Studio 2009 till 2014.

2007 and Studio (2009/2011/2014) are totally different tools, like MemoQ and Wordfast. You can work with 2007 extensions in Studio, but not the other way around. Why? Ask SDL.

Furthermore, because it is not supported anymore, it becomes less and less compatible with all the new(er) Window versions. (I wonder how 2007, which development stopped with XP, will perform in Windows 10, which is due this winter).

[Edited at 2015-04-02 21:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-02 21:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-02 21:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-02 21:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-02 21:41 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Do you really need to ask? Apr 2, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

You can work with 2007 extensions in Studio, but not the other way around. Why? Ask SDL.

When Trados 2007 was still actively developed there was no such thing as an SDLXLIFF. Expending valuable development resource to upgrade a dead product is a waste.

But if you really want to then it's simple to handle the SDLXLIFF as an XLIFF with Trados 2007. But the experience won't be a good one... tag overdose will be only one problem you might come across.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Sorry Paul.... Apr 2, 2015

....I was answering Ray.

Ray Culp
Ray Culp
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So then, how far back does compatibility go? Apr 3, 2015

Thanks for all the information!

If I were to purchase Trados today, it would probably be 2014. This is the current version, is it not? If I wanted to buy a license for an older version, I would probably have to buy it used on Ebay (if transferring licenses is allowed by the EULA, which I do not know).

So then, can users running Trados Studio 2009 or 2011 import and process project files created in the latest, greatest version? Or would I need to use some conversion tool
... See more
Thanks for all the information!

If I were to purchase Trados today, it would probably be 2014. This is the current version, is it not? If I wanted to buy a license for an older version, I would probably have to buy it used on Ebay (if transferring licenses is allowed by the EULA, which I do not know).

So then, can users running Trados Studio 2009 or 2011 import and process project files created in the latest, greatest version? Or would I need to use some conversion tool or workaround for this as well?

Regards

Ray
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Compatibility is given between Studio versions Apr 3, 2015

Ray Culp wrote:

So then, can users running Trados Studio 2009 or 2011 import and process project files created in the latest, greatest version? Or would I need to use some conversion tool or workaround for this as well?Ray

Ray

All versions of Studio are compatible and do not require any conversion tools.

SDLXLIFF files are compatible between all versions of Studio (with the restriction that the translator using the lower version might not be able to create the target in some cases and the client will need to do it).

Projects are also compatible, fully between 2011 and 2014. If you need to open a project in 2009 that has been created with a newer version, the creator needs to create it using the special command "Create 2009 project".

Walter

Ray Culp
Ray Culp
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 3, 2015

Thank you for the information, everyone! I'll need to test the suggestions I've received and see which works out best.

Ray

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compatibility Trados 2014 / Trados 2008

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »