Fixing partial duplication of 2 translation memories
Thread poster: Eylenn
Eylenn
Eylenn
Local time: 10:33
English to French
Apr 14, 2015

I'm using Studio 2014.

Somehow, on April 1st (NO JOKE!), I "managed" to create a second version of my main TM, let's call it Main. Studio called this second version Main (2). Since, at that point, I could no longer see Main when browsing to add a TM to a project, I routinely selected Main (2) as the TM to use for the last few projects I did. This afternoon, I realized that Main (2) is wildly incomplete. Opening Main and Main (2) to compare them (and I was now able to see them both i
... See more
I'm using Studio 2014.

Somehow, on April 1st (NO JOKE!), I "managed" to create a second version of my main TM, let's call it Main. Studio called this second version Main (2). Since, at that point, I could no longer see Main when browsing to add a TM to a project, I routinely selected Main (2) as the TM to use for the last few projects I did. This afternoon, I realized that Main (2) is wildly incomplete. Opening Main and Main (2) to compare them (and I was now able to see them both in the TM list), I find that Main has over 11,000 listings while Main (2) has a little over 5,000.

I don't exactly know how to fix this problem. Is there a way to recognize those entries that were added to Main (2) since April 1st? Export them? Import them back into Main? What else can be done?

Many thanks from Bemused in Blainville

Hélène Dion
Blainville, Québec
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:33
English
Main (2) sounds like... Apr 15, 2015

... a standrd windows behaviour for renaming a file when you create a copy of it in the same folder. So my guess is you did this at some point and then used this for a while causing you to have two different ones.

The easiest way to resolve this is to use the upgrade TM route in Studio. You can select both TMs and in effect merge them into one new one. All duplicates will be managed properly leaving you with one TM that represents the contents of them both.

Regards... See more
... a standrd windows behaviour for renaming a file when you create a copy of it in the same folder. So my guess is you did this at some point and then used this for a while causing you to have two different ones.

The easiest way to resolve this is to use the upgrade TM route in Studio. You can select both TMs and in effect merge them into one new one. All duplicates will be managed properly leaving you with one TM that represents the contents of them both.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Eylenn
Eylenn
Local time: 10:33
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Main & Main (2) successfully merged - I think Apr 18, 2015

Thank you, Paul. I seem to have fewer entries than I thought, which may be explained by duplicates deletion. but anyway, I think it worked. Thank you very much for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fixing partial duplication of 2 translation memories

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »