Studio 2014 - Keep folder structure of source files when creating target files
Thread poster: Jalapeno
Jalapeno
Jalapeno
Local time: 17:34
English to German
Apr 16, 2015

Hi there,

I just started work on a project the likes of which I have never seen in over 10 years of translating.

It's a piece of software that needs to be localized, and the client has sent a loc kit with all files that need to be translated. Problem is, *every single file* is in its own folder. And there are hundred of files.

The folder structure looks like this:

- Project
-- LocKit
--- Files
---- File1
---- File2
... See more
Hi there,

I just started work on a project the likes of which I have never seen in over 10 years of translating.

It's a piece of software that needs to be localized, and the client has sent a loc kit with all files that need to be translated. Problem is, *every single file* is in its own folder. And there are hundred of files.

The folder structure looks like this:

- Project
-- LocKit
--- Files
---- File1
---- File2
---- File3
---- File4

And so on. There is *one* file in each of the "File" folders. Most of the files with less than 100 words.

Now, when creating a new project for this in Studio, I can simply add the files through the "add folder" option.

But when I create the target file, I can either

a) save it automatically in the project folder - which means I will have then to manually move it to the correct folder in the original folder structure.
b) "save target as" and manually select the correct folder in the original folder structure.

Is there a way to tell Studio to save all target files in exactly the same folder strucure I imported the source files from?

There might be a simple solution to this that I am just not seeing, but right now ... I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Collapse

eivind
eivind
Local time: 00:34
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Batch Export Apr 16, 2015

Hi Jalapeno.

When I encountered this issue, I used (Files view) "Batch Tasks" -> "Export files" with the files selected (after using Add Folder to add the files). This should recreate the original folder structure with the translated files in the correct locations.

Took me a bit to figure this out as well.

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
Local time: 17:34
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 5, 2015

Hi eivind,

sorry for the extremely late reply and *thanks* for your tip. The project was put on hold for a while, but it re-appeared and using "Export" worked like a charm.

Thanks a lot!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 - Keep folder structure of source files when creating target files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »