Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
SDL Trados Studio 2015 is coming…Your Studio, your way!
Thread poster: SDL_Dan
Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 13:21
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Looks to me that those already having 2014 are getting a better deal Apr 21, 2015

jtg7681 wrote:
However, I think customer's who already have 2014 should receive a better deal than customers who upgrade from 2011 (unless I misunderstood what SDL_Dan said)

You have a point. But what I've found, is:

SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance to SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance 245€
SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance to SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance 145€

That's a saving of 100€ for those who already have 2014. Now, it does say that the normal upgrade price is 245€ for upgrading from 2014 to 2015, which means it may look like those with 2011 are better off. I suspect though, that when 2015 comes, there won't be any free upgrade from 2014 to 2015 for them, so they will have to pay even more.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Your maths are incorrect Apr 21, 2015

Roy wrote:

"You have a point. But what I've found, is:

That's a saving of 100€ for those who already have 2014."

I fear you are missing the point. I upgraded my freelance version 2011 to 2014 at March 12 this year (a bit more then a month ago), and had to pay 171€. So, if I want to up
... See more
Roy wrote:

"You have a point. But what I've found, is:

That's a saving of 100€ for those who already have 2014."

I fear you are missing the point. I upgraded my freelance version 2011 to 2014 at March 12 this year (a bit more then a month ago), and had to pay 171€. So, if I want to upgrade again it would mean 145 + 171= 316€

Not a 100€ saving, but a 71€ extra!

[Edited at 2015-04-21 08:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-21 14:36 GMT]
Collapse

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 14:21
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

What are the new features exactly? Apr 21, 2015

SDL,

Can you provide more information on the changes/new features of the product? Whether Trados is or isn't "the most successful CAT tool on the market" is debatable... we need specific data on what we get for the price of the upgrade.

Best regards,

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Exactly Apr 21, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

I fear you are missing the point. I upgraded my freelance version 2011 to 2014 at March 12 this year (a littlebit of a month ago), and had to pay 171€. So, if I want to upgrade again it would mean 145 + 171= 316€

[Edited at 2015-04-21 08:24 GMT]

I am also rather disappointed. I have upgraded two months ago and so far haven't even been able to use Studio 2015 - it won't let me edit the files my main client is sending me (see http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/282355-check_out_required.html). I have to use Studio 2011 for these files.

And now I am supposed to upgrade to yet another new version? It appears we now are supposed to pay for bug fixes and updates, introduced in the form of a new version. Go fix the "old" version instead, SDL!

SDL_Dan
SDL_Dan
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:21
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Pre-Launch Apr 21, 2015

Hi everyone,

Listening to your comments over the last day or so, we just wanted to clarify a few points.

We appreciate your concern regarding your personal licenses. We wanted to let you know, that due to confidentiality, our company policy is to handle customer account queries direct on a personal basis. Please be assured we do not disclose any of your account details pu
... See more
Hi everyone,

Listening to your comments over the last day or so, we just wanted to clarify a few points.

We appreciate your concern regarding your personal licenses. We wanted to let you know, that due to confidentiality, our company policy is to handle customer account queries direct on a personal basis. Please be assured we do not disclose any of your account details publicly, therefore can we ask you to contact SDL_Steve, Customer Experience Manager, with your account queries.

There have been some comments around our pre-launch activities. Like other software companies, we have a regular software release cycle and as is common practice within the industry, we usually provide very attractive pre-launch offers. This launch is no different and in order to communicate these offers to you, we needed to have a start date and we set this date as the beginning of April. You can find all the information about the pre-launch offers on our online shop.

As we are in the pre-launch phase it is too early to communicate full technical details or demonstrate the new version. What I can tell you is that Studio 2015 is our most flexible version yet, it builds on the functionality of Studio 2014 to offer new features to increase your productivity, personalize your experience and support your quality assurance. The release date is not yet available, again another common practice in software launches but we wanted to use this time to give you an early taster of what is to come. The information we currently have is available here and we will continue to update this page as more detail comes available.

If you have any further queries, you can always contact our Customer Experience Desk

Best regards,

Dan
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Bug fixes? That'd be great! Apr 21, 2015

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro wrote:
It appears we now are supposed to pay for bug fixes and updates, introduced in the form of a new version. Go fix the "old" version instead, SDL!

I wouldn't even say anything if major, long existing bugs were indeed solved - I'll be happy to learn that they are, but as long as we don't know any details, I'm still offering the 100€ bet from another thread (2015 will bring (i) still no merging of segments across paragraph marks and (ii) no reliable performance of MultiTerm independently of the source segment length). Anyone?

Edited to add: Yes, I know, not being able to merge across paragraphs isn't a bug, technically speaking.

[Bearbeitet am 2015-04-21 10:33 GMT]

Sian Cooper
Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Not updating without knowing what I'll get... Apr 21, 2015

Hi, I was an early taker of 2011 and 2014 (Freelancer). I loved 2011, but was not over the moon with the progress in 2014 - particularly the much vaunted new Alignment functionality, which is what sold it to me (at a lot of money). Yes, it has improvements, sure - but it has major usability drawbacks which make it a total pain to use and in some cases a functional regression on the previous version (particularly the limitation on number of source-target segments that can be linked).

... See more
Hi, I was an early taker of 2011 and 2014 (Freelancer). I loved 2011, but was not over the moon with the progress in 2014 - particularly the much vaunted new Alignment functionality, which is what sold it to me (at a lot of money). Yes, it has improvements, sure - but it has major usability drawbacks which make it a total pain to use and in some cases a functional regression on the previous version (particularly the limitation on number of source-target segments that can be linked).

I was also not at all impressed by the updated UI - sure, MS Office-like, but without any of the personalisation options we get in MS Office, so the developers' idea of how we work is imposed on us.

I am definitely, definitely not into paying for an upgrade to 2015 without considerably more details than 'it builds on the functionality of Studio 2014 to offer new features to increase your productivity, personalize your experience and support your quality assurance. ' I have read the currently available pdf and it is no more than marketing fluff, it says absolutely nothing.

I was a senior functional analyst and designer and development team leader in a complex product with aging architecture and the challenge of combining old and new technologies. I am more than aware of the release cycle and the danger of stating that x functionality will be delivered in a release, and then at the end it can't be because there are unresolved bugs or the functionality is just too incomplete. It is a shame you cannot use a more Agile development process and deliver smaller, frequent updates.

It just seems to me that your present development and sales method makes all existing users pay and pay for disappointing deliverables that do not meet our requirements, including unfixed bugs and new functionality that does not respond to users' priority functional requirements. It is far more like a developers' and marketers UI fest - look how sexy this is, yeah let's do it. Sure, it will win you new corporate business. But your existing user base needs more consideration, particularly the independent translators.

Frankly I would appreciate less sex, more precision and not being forced to continue to pay through the nose to fund what is not mind-blowing development.

Tell me you're rebuilding your underlying architecture and that in release X (how many years-ish?) you will be able to start delivering agile functional releases and fast bug fixes. Then I will be ready to be patient and perhaps pay for release X. Meanwhile, I feel you are taking our money and really not delivering.

I'm still willing to be persuaded that your new release really is an improvement, but like I say: I want details. Even if it is 'projected' functionality - some of it has to make its way in (or you should delay the release).
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
One question only Apr 21, 2015

Dear SDL_Dan,

I understand that you, due to confidentiality, don't handle customer account queries direct on a personal basis. I appreciate that, but my question (see thread) was more of general concern.

I did visit the online shop, and saw that if I would update my SDL 2011 Freelance Plus today, I would be eligible for a FREE update of 2015 by release.

My question is: 'What superdeal do you have for people who upgraded their 2011 last month (like I did)?'
... See more
Dear SDL_Dan,

I understand that you, due to confidentiality, don't handle customer account queries direct on a personal basis. I appreciate that, but my question (see thread) was more of general concern.

I did visit the online shop, and saw that if I would update my SDL 2011 Freelance Plus today, I would be eligible for a FREE update of 2015 by release.

My question is: 'What superdeal do you have for people who upgraded their 2011 last month (like I did)?' If I had known about this, I would have waited with upgrading to 2014 till now!

This is a general question, so feel free to answer.

Kind regards,

Rob

[Edited at 2015-04-21 15:04 GMT]
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Bad timing Apr 21, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
I fear you are missing the point. I upgraded my freelance version 2011 to 2014 at March 12 this year (a bit more then a month ago), and had to pay 171€. So, if I want to upgrade again it would mean 145 + 171= 316€

It's just unfortunate timing. OTOH, think of all the money you've saved by not paying the yearly €200+ support and maintenance fee since you purchased your copy of 2011 (or upgraded to it)

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
No answer yet Apr 23, 2015

Before this forum disappears to the 'catacombs of the forgotten forums', I want to hear an answer of SDL on my questions (see my threads). Therefore I keep it alive (sorry!).

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 19:21
English to Italian
+ ...
What is in it? Apr 24, 2015

Hi Dan,

I was going to send a letter to SDL on this but i noticed that there is the usual lenghty process to make it happen on your website so i gave up. So i'll take the chance to ask here for the benefit of everyone.

Like other users i got the offer but none of your material is specifying what is the new functions. In particular.
- Are QA checks going to work?
- Is random errors/bugs fixed?
- Are numbers sorted out?
- Does it integrate Multiter
... See more
Hi Dan,

I was going to send a letter to SDL on this but i noticed that there is the usual lenghty process to make it happen on your website so i gave up. So i'll take the chance to ask here for the benefit of everyone.

Like other users i got the offer but none of your material is specifying what is the new functions. In particular.
- Does it integrate Multiterm in the editor (I mean fully, like in creating a new MT glossary, deleting terms etc).
- Are incompatibilities with 2007 still there (some of my customers are not happy about it)

I don't mind doing the early bird...however i'd like to know what the new version offers. Upgrading blindly doesn't make much sense.

Thanks in advance for any information

SDL_Dan wrote:

Hi everyone,

We appreciate your concern regarding your personal licenses. We wanted to let you know, that due to confidentiality, our company policy is to handle customer account queries direct on a personal basis. Please be assured we do not disclose any of your account details publicly, therefore can we ask you to contact SDL_Steve, Customer Experience Manager, with your account queries.

There have been some comments around our pre-launch activities. Like other software companies, we have a regular software release cycle and as is common practice within the industry, we usually provide very attractive pre-launch offers. This launch is no different and in order to communicate these offers to you, we needed to have a start date and we set this date as the beginning of April. You can find all the information about the pre-launch offers on our online shop.

As we are in the pre-launch phase it is too early to communicate full technical details or demonstrate the new version. What I can tell you is that Studio 2015 is our most flexible version yet, it builds on the functionality of Studio 2014 to offer new features to increase your productivity, personalize your experience and support your quality assurance. The release date is not yet available, again another common practice in software launches but we wanted to use this time to give you an early taster of what is to come. The information we currently have is available here and we will continue to update this page as more detail comes available.

If you have any further queries, you can always contact our Customer Experience Desk

Best regards,

Dan

Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
No specifics at this stage Apr 24, 2015

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:
Like other users i got the offer but none of your material is specifying what is the new functions.

I believe you will have to settle (for the time being) for the vague/grandiloquent claims made by SDL_Dan, ie:
Studio 2015 is our most flexible version yet, it builds on the functionality of Studio 2014 to offer new features to increase your productivity, personalize your experience and support your quality assurance

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Early bird vs. late bird Apr 24, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
I upgraded my freelance version 2011 to 2014 at March 12 this year (a bit more then a month ago), and had to pay 171€. So, if I want to upgrade again it would mean 145 + 171= 316€

I upgraded my Freelance 2011 Plus to 2014 Plus on September 17, 2013, paying €125 (that was an "early bird" deal):

If a company offers "early bird" deals, they must be more attractive than deals offered to "late birds" like you, otherwise it wouldn't make any sense.

You need to compare the 145 + 171= €316, not to €245 (which is the price for a 2014 user), but to the upgrade from 2011 to 215, which is likely to be more than €245. That would have been the alternative for you, if you had skipped 2014 altogether, rather than upgrading to it as a late bird.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Perhaps if you give specific examples it would help? Apr 24, 2015

These things already work depending on what your specific example is?

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

Please provide an example of a QA check that does not work, and note that there are many ways to use the built in QA checker and the tools provided.

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

Which ones? It's unlikely there is any software on the planet that does not have random errors/bugs so asking a question like this is something no one could ever say yes to.

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

What does that mean exactly? It's clear that the way Studio attempts to make life easier by basing it's recognition patterns on the operating system of your computer can lead to problems that you have to find a way to work around. If this is what you mean then the situation here doesn't change. But give some concrete examples and we can look at the best approach to handle them. Half the battle is often resolved by understanding how things work and knowing how best to tackle them before you start.

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

- Does it integrate Multiterm in the editor (I mean fully, like in creating a new MT glossary, deleting terms etc).

One thing to keep in mind is that the OpenExchange is part of the product. Using integrated applications that enhance the use of the product does not make this what we all like to call a workaround. Studio is unique in this respect because it offers all users an extended capability at no additional cost. Nobody calls apps for your iphone a workaround. What's the difference? Studio has been built around a platform to deliberately support the growth of a facility like this. A Terminologist would never need something like this because they need the power of MultiTerm as it is. A translator looking for a quick glossary creator will love it.

So if you were to use the Glossary Plugin today you can create a termbase for a new project in two clicks and it's automatically added to your project. The same plugin provides a lot more capability you can use from within the product.

Deleting terms is already part of Studio capability in the core product.

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

- Are incompatibilities with 2007 still there (some of my customers are not happy about it)

What incompatibilities? I have not come across a single example yet that could not be explained by poor preparation of the files. But personally, still living off a format that is now 8-yrs old is getting a little old hat. We hardly ever see problems of this nature posted these days and it's because anyone still using these old formats should be well aware of how to process them for anyone using a more modern tool, and that doesn't just mean Studio.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

[Edited at 2015-04-24 10:23 GMT]

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
preview and segmentation control Apr 24, 2015

Well I for one would like to know if the real-time preview in Word will be rescued somehow (apparently unavailable with the latest Office) or can we expect an html preview (much more inferior, imo)? And how about more control over segmentation: the ability to merge any segments you like (as in MemoQ). And as for bugs: how about being able to open a newly added document (in an existing project) immediately without first having to leave and then return to the project...

Olly

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2015 is coming…Your Studio, your way!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »