Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
SDL Trados Studio 2015 is coming…Your Studio, your way!
Thread poster: SDL_Dan
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:11
Finnish to French
Even cheaper May 18, 2015

SDL_Steve wrote:
The total cost for your Studio 2015 would therefore ONLY be 145.00€ and can be purchased from the following pre-launch upgrade offer

https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/promotion.aspx?PromotionCode=customer-experience

Upgrade from SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance Plus to SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance Plus
Normally €245.00
Now €145.00

Not to mention the upgrade was even cheaper than that just a few weeks ago:

The benefit of buying 100% pure vaporware

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Too expensive, not user friendly May 18, 2015

I owe Trados Studio 2014 license (in fact, two, as it is a "plus" version). I am familiar with the basic functionality of the software. Not impressed, though. Certainly do not like the interface and "forced" paid training/material policy. I guess I am not alone.

Instead of nagging here or elsewhere, I got a license for Déjà Vu X3. Had no experience with the software, but I am already successfully using it with all my projects except those that absolutely require Studio (Trados pac
... See more
I owe Trados Studio 2014 license (in fact, two, as it is a "plus" version). I am familiar with the basic functionality of the software. Not impressed, though. Certainly do not like the interface and "forced" paid training/material policy. I guess I am not alone.

Instead of nagging here or elsewhere, I got a license for Déjà Vu X3. Had no experience with the software, but I am already successfully using it with all my projects except those that absolutely require Studio (Trados packages, etc. I know I can still do them in Déjà Vu, but I wouldn't like to mess it up and have no time for experiments).

So I am using Déjà Vu X3 now and I love it. Good thing is that support and updates are free and you pay upgrades (every three years or so). Total cost of ownership is 1/3 in comparison with what you pay for Studio license + support (or license + upgrades).

What I also dislike about Trados is that termbase, MT, autosuggest (or whatever the name is) are all over the places. And you actually pay for some features that are standard in Déjà Vu X3. I will not go to more details. The reality is that if Atril did 1/10 of marketing effort in comparison with what SDL does, it would overtake SDL by light years. Unfortunately, we are "forced" by the market to have Trados but most of us find much more convenient to work with other CAT tools.

So I'll keep my Studio 2014 license (no upgrades) and will work with Déjà Vu X3 (with upgrades and free support).

[Edited at 2015-05-18 17:47 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:11
English
What forced and paid training? May 18, 2015

Merab Dekano wrote:

....and "forced" paid training/material policy.

What forced paid training policy. This is the first I've heard of it!! You can pay for training courses if you want, but you don't have to. I think we provide a lot more material for free than probably any tool vendor.

http://multifarious.filkin.com/sdl-sustenance/

Merab Dekano wrote:

What I also dislike about Trados is that termbase, MT, autosuggest (or whatever the name is) are all over the places.

If you only ever work with simple resources then I can certainly see the benefit of an all in one database. But don't compare apples and oranges. I actually quite like DVX but its inadequate for terminology management. It's horses for courses!

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Deleted May 18, 2015

Deleted

[Edited at 2015-05-18 18:58 GMT]

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's an opinion, not a discussion May 18, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

Merab Dekano wrote:

....and "forced" paid training/material policy.

What forced paid training policy. This is the first I've heard of it!! You can pay for training courses if you want, but you don't have to. I think we provide a lot more material for free than probably any tool vendor.

http://multifarious.filkin.com/sdl-sustenance/

Merab Dekano wrote:

What I also dislike about Trados is that termbase, MT, autosuggest (or whatever the name is) are all over the places.

If you only ever work with simple resources then I can certainly see the benefit of an all in one database. But don't compare apples and oranges. I actually quite like DVX but its inadequate for terminology management. It's horses for courses!

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Thank you, Paul.

"Forced" is between quotation marks. It is not effectively forced, but you know what I mean by that.

Having different modules scattered around different interfaces is not helping me to feel comfortable with the tool.

I am a legal translator and yes, I mostly translate Word, Excel, PowerPoint, HTML and similar file formats.

I manage my terminology in DVX quite all right; have had no problems with it.

Trados is robust software and I owe a license (and will obviously keep it). I simply find DVX more user friendly for my needs.

Defending your product is the most logical and natural thing to do.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
No defence strategy here... May 18, 2015

Merab Dekano wrote:

Defending your product is the most logical and natural thing to do.

... I have no idea what you mean by "Forced" between quotation marks? There is so much free material around, including the stuff we install with the product, and plenty of help via ProZ, TW_Users, SDL Community, Facebook, Twitter etc. that in my opinion anyone who wants to teach themselves is spoiled for choice.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Sian Cooper
Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Re upgrade costs May 19, 2015

Hi, Steve, thanks for coming back to me. I still find SDL's marketing approach for freelancers totally mystifying.

SDL_Steve wrote:

After checking your account, I can see that you purchased the upgrade to Studio 2014 back in October 2013 and then Autosuggest in March last year.

As you already have the PLUS version and Autosuggest- ALL subsequent upgrades will retain both PLUS and Autosuggest.

The total cost for your Studio 2015 would therefore ONLY be 145.00€

I am glad to hear that I do have Plus, and that Autosuggest will therefore also be included, even though my license (i.e. in Help/About) says I only have Freelance. If I do decide to shell out for 2015, I will be interested to see how the licensing app. handles that, and the linked Autosuggest upgradability.

I am still not glad to hear that it will cost me 145.00€ to upgrade when I could get 2015 free if I had waited and stuck with 2011 until this April - I am also pretty certain that the 2014 purchase now would be considerably less than I paid in 2013, but I admit I have not confirmed that. My belief is that I am a double loser.

**Edit: I like to be fair. In fact my upgrade was 370€ + VAT, and the order states it is Freelance Plus. The License within the product doesn't say that, though.

However, this does mean that purchasing 2014 as a new user, now, at 495€ plus free upgrade to 2015 is a much better deal than I am being offered as an original 2011 user and obedient 2014 upgrader:

Studio 2011 464.75€
2014 upgrade 370€
2015 upgrade 145€

My total cost for 2015, due to SDL paid upgrades policy, 979.75€

I still feel (strongly) that I should be paying less, as an existing and returning client, not more**

I am really unwilling to part with any more money for an upgrade about which I still feel I know nothing, particularly since I suspect that a lot of what you will deliver in 2015 will actually be completing what should have been in 2014 and didn't make the cut: in other words, I think I have already paid for that functionality, thank you very much; I am just still waiting to get a properly implemented version.

I did not find the 2011 to 2014 upgrade worth the money by any means - not by any stretch of the imagination. Yes, there were some processing/speed improvements in project creation (although these seem to be lost once the TM used goes over a certain size and/or more than one TM is used); I am sure that from a technical development point of view, amazing architectural improvements were made etc. But in the end, it is the user experience that counts, and I remain unimpressed. I was enthused by the promised alignment improvements (that is what made me upgrade) and I really have been deeply frustrated and disappointed by that. I consider it to be a decent beta, but not releasable quality. It is particularly ironic since it looks to me like it could evidently easily have been released as a stand alone upgrade; although I'm sure you needed it in there as a selling point.

So... what can you say to bring me round? Why are SDL penalising their existing user base? What are SDL actually offering me for my money?

Thanks again, Sian

[Edited at 2015-05-19 15:38 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
. May 20, 2015

Sian Cooper wrote:

I am still not glad to hear that it will cost me 145.00€ to upgrade when I could get 2015 free if I had waited and stuck with 2011 until this April - I am also pretty certain that the 2014 purchase now would be considerably less than I paid in 2013, but I admit I have not confirmed that. My belief is that I am a double loser.
[Edited at 2015-05-19 15:38 GMT]

Hi Sian,

The logic in this statement only makes sense if you apply the value 0 Euros to the fact that you have been able to use the 2014 version for nearly 2 years.

Thanks,
Luis

SDL_Dan
SDL_Dan
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:11
TOPIC STARTER
Do you have a question about SDL Trados Studio 2015? May 20, 2015

Join Paul Filkin and Massimo Ghislandi on Twitter for our Tweetchat Q&A, where you will have the opportunity to ask any questions you may have about the upcoming release of SDL Trados Studio 2015.

The Tweetchat will take place Friday May 29, 12-12:45 BST. Simply tweet your questions during this time using #SDLchat.

We look forward to your questions.

Dan

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Why not here? May 20, 2015

Why can't you people answer questions here? For example, I asked:

"...I for one would like to know if the real-time preview in Word [I mean an MS Office-like environment] will be rescued somehow (apparently unavailable with the latest Office) or can we expect an html preview (much more inferior, imo)? And how about more control over segmentation: the ability to merge any sequence of segments you like (as in MemoQ)..."

but got no answer.

Olly

greta grinfeld
greta grinfeld  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
Views gone missing after update May 20, 2015

Hi Dan,

Would you please be able to help with this?

I did the latest update 2 days ago. Since then the File, Alignment and Reports Views have gone, completely, not there. Seems to be an installation/downloading problem but cannot get SDL Installation support to respond as solution finder page not responding.

Thanks so much.

Greta

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Sounds as though... May 20, 2015

gretalondon wrote:

I did the latest update 2 days ago. Since then the File, Alignment and Reports Views have gone, completely, not there. Seems to be an installation/downloading problem but cannot get SDL Installation support to respond as solution finder page not responding.

... you just need to activate a Project. Select one and either press the enter key, or double click it.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

ghislandi
ghislandi  Identity Verified
English to Italian
Some info May 21, 2015

Sian Cooper wrote:

Studio 2011 464.75€
2014 upgrade 370€
2015 upgrade 145€

My total cost for 2015, due to SDL paid upgrades policy, 979.75€

Dear Sian,

I just wanted to clarify a few points...

First of all I am sorry you don't feel you got enough value out of your upgrade from Studio 2011 to Studio 2014. I feel we added a lot of new features such as alignment, the new ribbon, Language Cloud, as well as making Studio faster when processing many tasks. We did a lot of work in the backend of STudio and MultiTerm and removed Java and opened our API further which means developers could create new compelling apps - many of which are free.

In regards to the price - the standard upgrade from 2011 to 2014 would have been €245 - but looking at your account - I noticed you upgraded to the Plus version which increased your cost, but of course gave you the ability to use Studio on 2 PCs.

If you skipped the upgrade you would have paid between Studio 2011 (by the way you did purchase it with a 40% discount - so you did have a good deal) directly to Studio 2015 Plus - in the region of €875 so in essence a €100 difference - but on the other hand you would have not benefited from Studio 2014.

We do listen to our customers and we have worked in the last few years to reduce the overall cost of ownership for SDL trados Studio:
1) We have reduced the frequency of paid upgrades - we have released Service Packs which includes features and are free of charge.
2) Some of the full license prices as well as upgrades are lower now than they were 5 years ago - partially due to exchange rate, partially due to industry feedback
3) Upgrade from 1 version back is priced the lowest

We have also significantly increased the free resources around the product.

We do try our best to offer the fairest possible deals to all our customers and even when doing different campaigns and discounts - we try to balance the packages so that more expensive packages include more items (Plus, Autosuggest creator, training, MultiTerm Extract etc.) vs. packages which are lower in price but with no additional value.

I am not sure if this helps, but i just wanted to share my thoughts on some of the points you mentioned.

Kind regards
Massimo

ghislandi
ghislandi  Identity Verified
English to Italian
Info May 21, 2015

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

Why can't you people answer questions here? For example, I asked:

"...I for one would like to know if the real-time preview in Word [I mean an MS Office-like environment] will be rescued somehow (apparently unavailable with the latest Office) or can we expect an html preview (much more inferior, imo)? And how about more control over segmentation: the ability to merge any sequence of segments you like (as in MemoQ)..."

but got no answer.

Olly

Hi Olly
We have a few people out of office and we are a little slower to reply to you.
I am not the most technical - Studio 2015 will be supporting real-time preview from Office - ie non HTML ... the real time preview for Office 2013 works in Studio 2015 and 2014 if you have the boxed version of Office 2013 (2007 and 2010 works with any version). We are also continuing to work on that to further improve it. We are launching a new file filter for Word - which will initially live in parallel with the old one - so we will also eventually improve the 2013.

In regards to merging segments - I don't think we have changes there - but Paul will be able to comment better.

Kind regards
Massimo

Sian Cooper
Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Thanks for the feedback May 22, 2015

Hi, I wanted to thank Ghislandi for his thorough reply, and I really cannot argue with anything you say, although I do remain disappointed with my user experience in 2014. I think mostly because what I REALLY wanted was the new alignment UI, and sadly found it to be 'good idea, not ready for release' This was due to considerable UI problems, confusing and rather tedious matching functionality, and the fact that a non-justified limit of 1:3 source:target segment matching was introduced, which mad... See more
Hi, I wanted to thank Ghislandi for his thorough reply, and I really cannot argue with anything you say, although I do remain disappointed with my user experience in 2014. I think mostly because what I REALLY wanted was the new alignment UI, and sadly found it to be 'good idea, not ready for release' This was due to considerable UI problems, confusing and rather tedious matching functionality, and the fact that a non-justified limit of 1:3 source:target segment matching was introduced, which made aligning documents in certain languages extremely difficult. Spanish, for example: they use reallllllly long sentences which are often split into several in English. This limitation means you have to do quite a lot of editing of the Target in order to reduce the matching ratio to 1:3.

This limitation did not exist in the prior version, and I'm really hoping it will be lifted in 2015, plus fixing some of the major UI issues. But no mention of any improvements has been made in anything I've seen to date. Any news on that would be gratefully received.

Otherwise, the 2014 UI (menu) changes were also only a half way house and more irritating than useful. The introduction in 2015 of configurability will make them good (I hope!). The undercover performance work and opening up to developers are of course among the benefits that your basic user (aka me) fails to recognise, or we get used to, so our positive perception gradually fades. Plus I am pretty sure the performance (in project creation) has progressively reduced - which I think is linked to TM size, although I don't have mega TMs; or possibly multiple TM usage. But I'm afraid I don't feel motivated to try doing timing comparisons with 2011, sorry. Again, this may just be perception - we users are are renowned for being an ungrateful bunch, eh.

Paul - thanks for your reply too - but I can't click on any projects to refresh them - the project view is also empty. New installation style. OK it's no more than an annoyance - I Open Project and navigate to find whichever old one I want and then it stays there afterwards, but it is tooth-suckingly annoying! And related reports etc. do not reappear. Which is more than tooth-sucking. Sorry
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2015 is coming…Your Studio, your way!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »