How force target segment to adopt font of source segment ???
Thread poster: Andreas THEODOROU
Andreas THEODOROU
Andreas THEODOROU  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:24
Greek to English
+ ...
Apr 17, 2015

Hi all

I am using SDL Studio 2014.

When I start typing at the start of a segment (whether there is text in there or not), the text I type adopts a “default” font, which is not the font of my source text.

Therefore to get around this issue:
- I copy the source segment to the target segment (if not done already)
- I start typing my translation somewhere inside this text
- I then delete the unnecessary text around my newly typed text.... See more
Hi all

I am using SDL Studio 2014.

When I start typing at the start of a segment (whether there is text in there or not), the text I type adopts a “default” font, which is not the font of my source text.

Therefore to get around this issue:
- I copy the source segment to the target segment (if not done already)
- I start typing my translation somewhere inside this text
- I then delete the unnecessary text around my newly typed text.

In other words, I have to perform several extra steps just so that the font of the target segment is the same as the font of the source segment.

This is very annoying when you have to do it repeatedly (my professional conscience prevents me from just taking care of text and leaving the formatting “as is”).

Is there a way to get around this?

Andreas
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Press Ctrl+Shift+H... Apr 18, 2015

... and then you will probably see the formatting tags that are there. The default wysiwyg mode hides formatting tags.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Andreas THEODOROU
Spain
Greek to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Apr 18, 2015

Thanks for feedback, Paul.

That particular keyboard shortcut is disabled on my installation but presumably has the same effect as the “Toggles display of formatting tags” button.

It’s certainly easier now but I’ve got a lot of ugly tags showing up in my text now!

IMO a more elegant solution would be this:
If only one font (Verdana, Times New Roman, Arial, etc) is used in the source segment then the
“default” font automatically swit
... See more
Thanks for feedback, Paul.

That particular keyboard shortcut is disabled on my installation but presumably has the same effect as the “Toggles display of formatting tags” button.

It’s certainly easier now but I’ve got a lot of ugly tags showing up in my text now!

If only one font (Verdana, Times New Roman, Arial, etc) is used in the source segment then the
“default” font automatically switches to it.
I’m not a programmer but it doesn’t seem supercomplicated to implement this: with tags not showing, when the cursor is placed by SDL or by the user at the visible start of the segment, SDL either (i) moves the first formatting tag to before the cursor or (ii) advances the cursor to after the first formatting tag.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Single font = no tags Apr 18, 2015

Andreas THEODOROU wrote:

“default” font automatically switches to it.

Yes, that's how Studio works.
The fact that tags are showing up in your text means that the source switches to another font (or another font size, etc.) within the segment.

If your source text is really littered with tags, you may be working with a converted document. More about this here:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2012/06/15/tag-soup-in-trados-studio/

Andreas THEODOROU
Spain
Greek to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Apr 18, 2015

Hi Emma

Indeed it's a conversion (PDF to Word, though I did not have access to the Word file).

I'm exaggerating the extent of the problem but if it's a serious issue in future projects I'll tell the agency I will charge extra for a formatted document (then they might spend a bit more time tidying up the Word document).

Regards from a fellow Brit in sunny Spain!

Andreas

P.S. Good work on the blog - it's already in my favourit
... See more
Hi Emma

Indeed it's a conversion (PDF to Word, though I did not have access to the Word file).

I'm exaggerating the extent of the problem but if it's a serious issue in future projects I'll tell the agency I will charge extra for a formatted document (then they might spend a bit more time tidying up the Word document).

Regards from a fellow Brit in sunny Spain!

Andreas

P.S. Good work on the blog - it's already in my favourites!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How force target segment to adopt font of source segment ???

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »