Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Multiterm extraxt or Termbase?
Thread poster: Meyers (X)
Meyers (X)
Meyers (X)
Local time: 07:34
English to Dutch
Apr 19, 2015

Is Multiterm a good investment, or is the Termbase feature sufficient enough for most projects?
Thanks

[Edited at 2015-04-20 04:10 GMT]

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 09:34
French to English
+ ...
Mutliterm and termbase Apr 19, 2015

MutliTerm is the name of the glossary function of Trados and is included in the Studio package. IOW, you don't have to invest in it, but you cannot use it as a standalone application either. Termbase is a glossary that you create and manage in MutliTerm and contains terms that you add manually or import from other platforms.

All CATs have a glossary feature, and MutliTerm, although now functional, is not the most user-friendly of them, AFAIK.

See more
MutliTerm is the name of the glossary function of Trados and is included in the Studio package. IOW, you don't have to invest in it, but you cannot use it as a standalone application either. Termbase is a glossary that you create and manage in MutliTerm and contains terms that you add manually or import from other platforms.

All CATs have a glossary feature, and MutliTerm, although now functional, is not the most user-friendly of them, AFAIK.

Sandra
Collapse

Meyers (X)
Meyers (X)
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Multiterm 200 euro extra Apr 19, 2015

Thank you, Sandra.

Multiterm is sold separately for 200 euro extra, and is not always included.
Can you make a good Termbase without Multiterm?

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not quite Apr 19, 2015

Sandra& Kenneth wrote:

MutliTerm is the name of the glossary function of Trados and is included in the Studio package. IOW, you don't have to invest in it, but you cannot use it as a standalone application either.

That is mostly correct, but you can use MultiTerm as a standalone application if you wish. There is a separate MultiTerm app where you can manage termbases (import, export etc.) and do searches outside of Studio proper. I sometimes use it for term search during interpreting jobs and such. That's the situation as of Studio 2011, but I can't imagine they stripped the standalone MT out of 2014.

Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
That's correct Apr 19, 2015

FarkasAndras wrote:

That's the situation as of Studio 2011, but I can't imagine they stripped the standalone MT out of 2014.

That's correct, it can be used as a standalone program and it is in 2014.

But it is an integral part of SDL Trados Studio Freelance, I don't think it is available as a separate program, you just need to check the SDL website. It could be in the days of Trados Workbench it was optional, but I can't remember so far back, I believe in SDL Trados Studio it was always included.

What CAT Tool and version are you using Meyers?

Regards

Ben

Meyers (X)
Meyers (X)
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Multiterm Apr 19, 2015

Sorry, I mean MultiTerm Extract.

Meyers (X)
Meyers (X)
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
"MultiTerm not istalled" Apr 19, 2015

Ben Senior wrote:

What CAT Tool and version are you using Meyers?

Regards

Ben

I use the Trials Trados Studio 2014.
MultiTerm is not included there. I get the message "SDL MultiTerm is not istalled".
Is MultTerm included in the paid version?

Thank you.

[Edited at 2015-04-19 11:46 GMT]

Israel
French to English
+ ...
MT Extract Apr 19, 2015

I used MT Extract as a trial at some point and I found it a waste of time and money. Maybe it has changed, but then, why would you bother with it? If you buy the Trados package, you won't need it, because you can add terms in your termbase on the fly, as you need them (rather than rely on a machine algorithm), and if you don't buy the package, what will you do with MT Extract after the trial expires, assuming you can use it at all without MT?

I don't know whether MultiTerm itself
... See more
I used MT Extract as a trial at some point and I found it a waste of time and money. Maybe it has changed, but then, why would you bother with it? If you buy the Trados package, you won't need it, because you can add terms in your termbase on the fly, as you need them (rather than rely on a machine algorithm), and if you don't buy the package, what will you do with MT Extract after the trial expires, assuming you can use it at all without MT?

I don't know whether MultiTerm itself is provided in the trial version. It's definitely not much of a trial without it.

Sandra

[Edited at 2015-04-19 12:33 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Studio Freelance Ultimate Apr 19, 2015

I use the Trials Trados Studio 2015.

Is MultTerm included in the paid version?

Thank you.

Multiterm doesn't come in the trial version (presumably you mean Studio 2014, not Studio 2015?) but, yes, it's included in the paid version.

Multiterm Extract is a separate program and it doesn't come with Studio.

I see there's now an "ultimate" package that comes with Studio Plus (which includes Multiterm), Autosuggest and Multiterm Extract:
http://www.translationzone.com/shop/freelance-translator/

Meyers (X)
Meyers (X)
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
MultiTerm not in Trial? Apr 19, 2015

Thank you Sandra.
I think a simple termbase where I can add terms myself is enough. I don't need a "machine algorithm".

I was looking in the Trial version of Studio for the termbase feature, but didn't find it.
Emma says it's not included in the Trial...

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
Multiterm doesn't come in the trial version (presumably you mean Studio 2014, not Studio 2015?) but, yes, it's included in the paid version.

Multiterm Extract is a separate program and it doesn't come with Studio.

Thanks Emma.
Sorry, I meant Studio 2014 of course.
If I was the first to try the new 2015...

@Sandra
I understand you are not a big fan of Trados..
Other things I should be aware of before taking the step to Trados?
Thanks

I can always go back to the good old and free OmegaT, which has the most user-friendly and intuitive interface of all (but doesn't have Autosuggest or Review options).

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Sample termbase Apr 19, 2015

Meyers wrote:

I was looking in the Trial version of Studio for the termbase feature, but didn't find it.

You can't create a termbase with the trial version, but you can add one if someone creates it for you.

Paul Filkin uploaded a sample termbase on his blog:
http://multifarious.filkin.com/2013/01/30/imrthtl/
It's multilingual, so you can test it in your language pair with your trial version of Studio.

Meyers (X)
Meyers (X)
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Sample Apr 20, 2015

Thank you very much for the link, Emma.
It's very easy to add terms.

I read in another thread that Termbase sometimes misses terms. Is this correct?

And what are your ideas on MultiTerm Extract?
Thanks for your help.

Israel
French to English
+ ...
@Meyers Apr 20, 2015

Meyers wrote:

@Sandra
I understand you are not a big fan of Trados..
Other things I should be aware of before taking the step to Trados?

Trados is my main tool and it does the job. It is clunky, but I know it pretty well by now and I have learned to live with its many problems. I am, however, deeply disappointed by what seems to be a new corporate strategy of offering bug fixes in the form of annual new "versions". Other than possibly improving their source editing problem, which does not seem to exist elsewhere, I don't see much improvement in the new version, or they would have said so.

Sandra

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Well... Apr 20, 2015

Sandra& Kenneth wrote:

I am, however, deeply disappointed by what seems to be a new corporate strategy of offering bug fixes in the form of annual new "versions".

... Studio 2014 (the current version so I guess falls under whatever you mean by "new corporate strategy") has two service packs and nine cumulative updates since it's release... and there will be another cumulative update to come. All of these are free.

We also don't create new versions annually.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

[Edited at 2015-04-20 10:24 GMT]

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
2014 -> 2015 looks like you do release annual versions. Apr 20, 2015

Someone pointed out that you skipped 2013, though probably because the Americans are a rather superstitious lot, thinking that 13 is an unlucky number, so I think some people are excused for getting the idea of annual releases. (But even though 13 should be unlucky - which I don't buy, why would it follow that 2013 is?)

That said, if a user has noticed the releases 2009 - 2011 - 2014 - 2015, then it should be rather clear that the release is biannual in general.

One th
... See more
Someone pointed out that you skipped 2013, though probably because the Americans are a rather superstitious lot, thinking that 13 is an unlucky number, so I think some people are excused for getting the idea of annual releases. (But even though 13 should be unlucky - which I don't buy, why would it follow that 2013 is?)

That said, if a user has noticed the releases 2009 - 2011 - 2014 - 2015, then it should be rather clear that the release is biannual in general.

One thing, though, is that some other CAT tools have longer between new releases than what SDL Studio has, though, so users would still be excused for believing that the new releases mainly are meant to force the users to pay more for the product.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm extraxt or Termbase?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »