Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner
Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:11
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 20, 2015

Dear All,

I am reposting my issue hoping that anyone would have any idea, since I could not find help anywhere.

I have bought an upgrade from Starter to Freelance edition. For 2 years, I have work properly with Starter version in my Windows 8 native machine.

Just after installing upgrade, issues have appeared.

From Windows Explorer, package files are not recognizable anymore. Neither incoming (green icon) nor return packages (blue ones). If I a
... See more
Dear All,

I am reposting my issue hoping that anyone would have any idea, since I could not find help anywhere.

I have bought an upgrade from Starter to Freelance edition. For 2 years, I have work properly with Starter version in my Windows 8 native machine.

Just after installing upgrade, issues have appeared.

From Windows Explorer, package files are not recognizable anymore. Neither incoming (green icon) nor return packages (blue ones). If I attempt to point it to Trados. exe file, both packages that used to be differentiated receive the general Trados icon and do not open properly. If I double click in either an incoming or returning package, it opens the Trados, and... that is it. nothing happens, package is not installer nor I am prompt with any warning whether the package already exists or not.

Basically, I lost a bit of my organization, I cannot quickly identify packages, which has led me to send wrong packages to clients, I have to get used to this bug before opening Trados 5 times simultaneously. I find no solution for this issue elsewhere and I even had 2 engineers from a large Translator Agency trying to help me online and they found not explanation.

I do not accept the usual 'blame Microsoft', because Trados Studio Starter have been working perfectly in this machine, issue appeared exactly AFTER upgrade.

I am having other issues already reported here after upgrade, also without solution, like features bought that I cannot even find out how to activate it, and the installation guidance, support links are both broken in the Buying Confirmation E-mail AND in My Account page.

Beyond disappointment, I strongly do nor recommend my peers here and in other communities to perform any upgrade. Not worthy the investment and the hours of work lost with bugs.
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Don't trust Windows Explorer Apr 20, 2015

I NEVER double click a package and expect it to open in Studio. It doesn't give me much control of where the project is.

My advice would be to open Studio > Projects tab.
In the Packages section, click the Open Package button
Browse to the package in question.
Tell Studio where you want the imported files to be placed.

That way I decide where the project should be placed, not Windows or Studio. Makes life much simpler.

Regarding not
... See more
I NEVER double click a package and expect it to open in Studio. It doesn't give me much control of where the project is.

My advice would be to open Studio > Projects tab.
In the Packages section, click the Open Package button
Browse to the package in question.
Tell Studio where you want the imported files to be placed.

That way I decide where the project should be placed, not Windows or Studio. Makes life much simpler.

Regarding not upgrading from the Starter to the Freelance version. To me that's bad advice, as the Starter version is very limited compared to the Freelance version. As you find your way around it, I think you will appreciate the investment. Studio is not my main or preferred CAT tool, but I still think the investment has paid off a lot of times.
Collapse

Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
if your OS is Windows Apr 20, 2015

Hi Roy,

I guess perhaps it is difficult to see the extent of the problem... Unless I could migrate to other OS, I need to have a visual of my files, that is why they have icons.

When I receive an order from a client, my first step is to create a folder, to store the files there. When a job is done and I am sending client the email, I need to attach my deliverables, and again I need to locate them, visualize them, correctly id them.

Whether you start a new
... See more
Hi Roy,

I guess perhaps it is difficult to see the extent of the problem... Unless I could migrate to other OS, I need to have a visual of my files, that is why they have icons.

When I receive an order from a client, my first step is to create a folder, to store the files there. When a job is done and I am sending client the email, I need to attach my deliverables, and again I need to locate them, visualize them, correctly id them.

Whether you start a new project via the folder you setup first (which is my procedure) or if you start via software, it is an issue that you can not properly have your incoming/return packages properly identifiable.

If this issue did not exist before and it exists just after upgrade, it is an issue. And it would probably be an issue if I would any other third part file management solution. I guess I would need a file management solution for every software, every case in my routine.

The reason I bought the upgrade was exactly for the extra features, of course, now instead I have the new features plus a couple of bugs and no support/documentation for them, unless of course I would pay another nearly 200 Euros. Right now, from experience I would really consider the benefits of any upgrade x pain.
Collapse

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:11
English to Arabic
Open Packages May 9, 2015

Hi Soraya,

I came across this thread and was wondering if the issues have been resolved?

You mentioned below Internet Explorer and packages and I was wondering in what context this is meant as IE is only a browser.

If you need assistance, please let me know and I can help.

Kind regards

Steve

Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
nothing so far May 9, 2015

Hi Steve,

thanks for asking, so far I could not find a solution. I refer to Explorer (file manager on Windows), for some reason now the incoming and return packages lost their unique icons, all my trados package files are now with the Trados icon. Additionally, if I click twice, Trados open, but nothing happens, packages installation does not start, because they are not anymore recognized as Trados package files.

That is a bit annoying, for instance when I need to locat
... See more
Hi Steve,

thanks for asking, so far I could not find a solution. I refer to Explorer (file manager on Windows), for some reason now the incoming and return packages lost their unique icons, all my trados package files are now with the Trados icon. Additionally, if I click twice, Trados open, but nothing happens, packages installation does not start, because they are not anymore recognized as Trados package files.

That is a bit annoying, for instance when I need to locate quickly a return package to attach to an email I am sending to client (just yesterday I sent wrong, as you really have to find a little 'r' in the extension that differentiates the type of package).

I am sure icons are different, green or blue for a good reason, that makes them easily identifiable, and I lost this feature precisely in the moment I migrate from Starter to Studio Translator.

As I mentioned previously, I have engineers from a client, with a lot of experience in Trados, remotely taking a look into my PC and they could not figure out a solution. Since I did not have this problem before, I cannot simply blame Windows for this incompatibility issue.

Unfortunately, I cannot send screenshots over here so you could visualize it, neither I found any reference to this issue elsewhere. Still hoping that maybe in a next update release this annoying issue will go away.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OPEN PACKAGES, incoming, return packages issues AFTER buying UPGRADE

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »