Mpoma
Mpoma  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:46
French to English
Apr 20, 2015

Dear all,
I really hope you can help me.

For years I have used Trados 6.5, Workbench, operating within Word.

Last year, sensing that a lot of potential clients seemed to want people to have SDL Studio I bought the 2014 edition.

I find it so problematic. Here are the sorts of things I have problems with.

- my approach (using Trados 6.5) has always been to do a "first pass" and then a much more highly concentrated "second pass" or reread.
... See more
Dear all,
I really hope you can help me.

For years I have used Trados 6.5, Workbench, operating within Word.

Last year, sensing that a lot of potential clients seemed to want people to have SDL Studio I bought the 2014 edition.

I find it so problematic. Here are the sorts of things I have problems with.

- my approach (using Trados 6.5) has always been to do a "first pass" and then a much more highly concentrated "second pass" or reread. With SDL Studio with quite a lot of recognition I find this very tricky: if I change all the segments in a part of a file I want to reread back to "Untranslated", there seems no way to say "yes, but make the 100% recognitions from memory 'Approved'". And actually going through these segments is laborious, slow, horrible. If anyone knows a strategy for doing "first pass"-"second pass" I'd appreciate it if they could explain it...

- there seems no way to select all the segments in a file in a simple operation (with a view to changing their status for example). Instead you have to use the Down key or the PgDn key. It can take ages. This is horrible.

- the app takes ages to load and every so often there is an Autosave operation which, as its dialog is "modal", prevents you from carrying on working. It feels like an app from 2000, not 2015.

- moving on to a new segment at the end of a large file takes a significant amount of time to look things up in the memory. Which seems a step back from how Trados 6.5 works: the near-instantaneous recognition of the earlier Trados was always a bit miraculous. Why has this been replaced by something which introduces painful latency?

- there's so much clutter: "ribbons" or what-not. Menus are a perfectly good way of doing things, preferably with ergonomics (hotkeys) so you are very rarely forced to use the mouse. Extensive mouse usage seems pretty much compulsory with Studio 2014.

O horrible, horrible.
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:46
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Use the filter Apr 20, 2015

if I change all the segments in a part of a file I want to reread back to "Untranslated", there seems no way to say "yes, but make the 100% recognitions from memory 'Approved'".

You can do that easily, for example by first using the filter to display only the 100% match, select them all changing their status to whatever you want, then reverting the filter to display all of the segments.

- there seems no way to select all the segments in a file in a simple operation (with a view to changing their status for example). Instead you have to use the Down key or the PgDn key. It can take ages. This is horrible.

Select the first segment, scroll down to the last one, shift+click the last one - all segments are selected. Takes just a few seconds

- the app takes ages to load and every so often there is an Autosave operation which, as its dialog is "modal", prevents you from carrying on working. It feels like an app from 2000, not 2015.

How old is your computer, and how much memory do you have? Studio takes maybe ten to fifteen seconds to load on my five-year-old computer.

- moving on to a new segment at the end of a large file takes a significant amount of time to look things up in the memory. Which seems a step back from how Trados 6.5 works: the near-instantaneous recognition of the earlier Trados was always a bit miraculous. Why has this been replaced by something which introduces painful latency?

Have you installed the grammar checker add-in? That actually does slow down things considerably in Studio. If you have, i recommend you disable it during editing (and use it only at a QA stage).

- there's so much clutter: "ribbons" or what-not. Menus are a perfectly good way of doing things, preferably with ergonomics (hotkeys) so you are very rarely forced to use the mouse. Extensive mouse usage seems pretty much compulsory with Studio 2014.

And with that I heartily agree: ribbon interfaces are inefficient, especially clumsy ones, as in Studio - which has been implemented so badly that the QuickAccess toolbar cannot even be customized.

But apart from the ribbon, Studio is a great improvement over "old" Trados.

Mpoma
Mpoma  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 23, 2015

Thanks for taking the trouble to answer... using the filter mechanism allows me to do rereading as I described, so thanks for that.

Yes, my comp is a powerful Dell laptop from 2013. Yes, 10 to 15 s to load, something like that.

No grammar checker add-in as far as I can tell (though there must be a hundred buttons and icons and different ways of configuring and moving through the app, so I can't be entirely sure).

Sorry, but to me this app is pretty depr
... See more
Thanks for taking the trouble to answer... using the filter mechanism allows me to do rereading as I described, so thanks for that.

Yes, my comp is a powerful Dell laptop from 2013. Yes, 10 to 15 s to load, something like that.

No grammar checker add-in as far as I can tell (though there must be a hundred buttons and icons and different ways of configuring and moving through the app, so I can't be entirely sure).

Sorry, but to me this app is pretty depressing, that's all. Why can't dates and days of the week be translated automatically when you do copy source, for example? You'll probably tell me there's some way of doing so!

Workbench (i.e. working in Word) just suits me a million times better...

Sighhhhhh
Collapse

Sian Cooper
Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:46
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
It gets better... Apr 23, 2015

Hi Mpoma. There is always a period of pain when upgrading, and you are making a big leap so it will indeed take you a while... but (although I'm a great one for moaning) I think you will find it a lovely tool after you've got past the ramp up time - and despite the numerous non-trivial bugs that so many of us complain about loudly that remain unfixed version after version... Trados still remains my fave CAT tool.

Yes, as Riccardo says, the non-configurable ribbons have been really
... See more
Hi Mpoma. There is always a period of pain when upgrading, and you are making a big leap so it will indeed take you a while... but (although I'm a great one for moaning) I think you will find it a lovely tool after you've got past the ramp up time - and despite the numerous non-trivial bugs that so many of us complain about loudly that remain unfixed version after version... Trados still remains my fave CAT tool.

Yes, as Riccardo says, the non-configurable ribbons have been really badly implemented - no more than a visual update and a developer deciding how they should be organised without taking account of users, as far as I am concerned! I still don't like them much in MS apps either, but at least there are configurable options... I trust 2015 will improve on that.

However - hope I'm not telling you something you know perfectly well! - you can still use and define keyboard shortcuts - File-Options-Keyboard Shortcuts to view and edit. Each view has its own, and there are shared ones. If you try to set your own value which conflicts with an existing one, it won't let you.

I would note that I find selecting all segments using the highlight - shift click option to be both a pain to do and very, very slow to carry out the action on a file of any appreciable size (minutes...). I cannot understand why there is not a simple 'select all segments' function... let's hope one appears.

I have an i5 2.6Ghz 4Gb RAM 64 bit laptop. Even with e.g. memory hungry Chrome and Opera running, Trados takes about 20 seconds to load. However, if auto-check for updates is enabled, this extends to over a minute - you may want to check that.

Hope the pain fades soon... all the best!
Collapse

Mpoma
Mpoma  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Sian Apr 23, 2015

OK, thanks for your words of hope!

[Edited at 2015-04-24 09:15 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Issues with SDL Studio 2014 (newbie)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »