translated segments sent back to MT provider?
Thread poster: Meyers (X)
Meyers (X)
Meyers (X)
Local time: 19:24
English to Dutch
Apr 22, 2015

Hi,

I know about confidentiality; not to use MT for confidentiality reasons.

But if for certain texts you do use a Machine translation provider, such as Google Translate, Microsoft Bing, MyMemory, for whole segments or for MT Suggest,
the final edited/re-translated text of the segment will be send to the MT Provider?

Thanks

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
The majority... Apr 22, 2015

.. of MT Providers in Studio do not send corrected target segments bacck to the MT provider. When I say the majority I only know of one that does, and this was the free version of the Microsoft Translator plugin. I'm not sure if the new one does this... best to ask the developer.

Generally though, whilst I know everyone using MT is an excellent translator, there is no guarantee that the translated text is better than the original. The MT provider will probably only use audited wo
... See more
.. of MT Providers in Studio do not send corrected target segments bacck to the MT provider. When I say the majority I only know of one that does, and this was the free version of the Microsoft Translator plugin. I'm not sure if the new one does this... best to ask the developer.

Generally though, whilst I know everyone using MT is an excellent translator, there is no guarantee that the translated text is better than the original. The MT provider will probably only use audited work to improve the algorithms so the text produced by translators taking advantage of all the free or cheap MT providers is probably not of interest. Certainly speaking for SDL Language Cloud we would not use this at all. We are careful about the target text we use to train the engines because it can be just as easy to make the MT worse if you are not careful and diligent with your corrective actions.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Patrick Porter
Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 13:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
The MS Translator provider does NOT send updates Apr 22, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

Since I'm the developer, I'll just answer here: the current version does NOT send any updates to the API. There was a previous version that did this, but only if the option was explicitly selected, in which case the user would see a privacy warning and would have to affirmatively confirm the selection. The update option was designed in at Microsoft's request as a part of a pilot project that lasted one year. I made sure to put in the privacy notice so that users would understand the implications of selecting the option.

The current version, called 'MT Enhanced Trados Plugin', gives the option to select either Microsoft Translator or Google Translate as the MT provider (you can add multiple instances of the provider to use both services). Neither one returns any of the target text to the respective API.

At some point in the future, I might add in the ability to update the Microsoft API with translations for users who want to do that (for example to update their personal 'Translator Hub' via their specific 'Category ID'). But if that is the case, it would require explicit and affirmative confirmation by the user to enable the option.

The above only applies to the plugin called 'MT Enhanced Trados Plugin'. I can't speak for any of the other plugins or the native providers.

Meyers (X)
Meyers (X)
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 23, 2015

Thank you Paul
Thank you Patrick for your clear explanation and the plugin.

Meyers (X)
Meyers (X)
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
select - deselect Apr 27, 2015

Now I see that there is an "Update box".
I see that for SDL ATS you can not even select this box.
So I suppose that if you don't want to send the translation back to an MT provider (such as MyMemory), you can deselect it.

The same goes for sending the text of the source segment?
If for some parts you don't want to use MT (for confidentiality reasons or because MT is useless for the type of text, you just deselect "Enable" and when MT is useful for a certain paragra
... See more
Now I see that there is an "Update box".
I see that for SDL ATS you can not even select this box.
So I suppose that if you don't want to send the translation back to an MT provider (such as MyMemory), you can deselect it.

The same goes for sending the text of the source segment?
If for some parts you don't want to use MT (for confidentiality reasons or because MT is useless for the type of text, you just deselect "Enable" and when MT is useful for a certain paragraph or file, you select "Enable"?

I just use the Trial version of 2014 now, so I can not check how it works the other MT providers and for MT suggest.

[Edited at 2015-04-27 14:40 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translated segments sent back to MT provider?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »