Thread poster: Miguel Ríos
Miguel Ríos
Miguel Ríos
Mexico
Local time: 06:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 28, 2015

it is very likely that I am formulating the question in the wrong way since I am a new user, but here it goes...

I notice that I can improve a translation for a term I already translated, so I translate it better, confirm the translation and go to the translation memory view to update the previous translations of that term. I search the translation units, change them, and then... what next? Are the changes going to update automatically into the text or bilingual file I am translatin
... See more
it is very likely that I am formulating the question in the wrong way since I am a new user, but here it goes...

I notice that I can improve a translation for a term I already translated, so I translate it better, confirm the translation and go to the translation memory view to update the previous translations of that term. I search the translation units, change them, and then... what next? Are the changes going to update automatically into the text or bilingual file I am translating or do I need to do something else?

:/
Collapse

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:58
German to Turkish
+ ...
TM's and bilingual files are different. Apr 28, 2015

Radioajo wrote:

I notice that I can improve a translation for a term I already translated, so I translate it better, confirm the translation and go to the translation memory view to update the previous translations of that term. I search the translation units, change them, and then... what next? Are the changes going to update automatically into the text or bilingual file I am translating or do I need to do something else?

:/

When you make any change in the TM, it is appropriately updated there. However, bilingual files are different. When you want to change anything there, you have to use the editor view. Changes in the TM may show as matches or automatic translations for untranslated segments only (as far as I know as a newbie myself ).

Miguel Ríos
Miguel Ríos
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
how do you make changes retroactive? Apr 28, 2015

Yes, that's what I thought... So, how would you make a change retroactive, in other words, what would you do if you found a mess-up near the end of the translation and you know that ir repeats itself like 50 times, both in the Translation Memory and the bilingual file...

I know this must be a really basic thing... but that's like when you are a noob like us...

Elif Baykara Narbay
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
I'm sure that there are more clever ways, Apr 28, 2015

Radioajo wrote:

... So, how would you make a change retroactive, in other words, what would you do if you found a mess-up near the end of the translation and you know that ir repeats itself like 50 times, both in the Translation Memory and the bilingual file...

but I would perform a simple find&change action which includes a specific phrase or term that is the subject to the change in the TM. As the changed segments need reconfirmation, when I go there and make an entry from the TM, it would autopropagate through the now unconfirmed segments.

Miguel Ríos
Miguel Ríos
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
that should do it... but it doesn't... Apr 28, 2015

Changed segments don't need reconfirmation, I just confirmed that...

I went to the TM, changed the segment, then closed and opened the bilingual file and went in there to the part that should have changed, but it still had the mistake... Then I clicked on "apply translation", one of the buttons on top, and it did the change, but unfortunately the segment in the editor we are talking about was the active one, so I couldn't realize if clicking that button actually changed all that had
... See more
Changed segments don't need reconfirmation, I just confirmed that...

I went to the TM, changed the segment, then closed and opened the bilingual file and went in there to the part that should have changed, but it still had the mistake... Then I clicked on "apply translation", one of the buttons on top, and it did the change, but unfortunately the segment in the editor we are talking about was the active one, so I couldn't realize if clicking that button actually changed all that had been changed at the TM...

Or maybe I am missing something...
Collapse

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pretranslate Apr 28, 2015

After you've made your changes in the TM, close the file in the editor, and pretranslate it. In the pretranslation settings, select Overwrite existing translation.

You can also just filter the file to view the segments with the term you are going to change, make your changes segment by segment, or with a find and replace, and then confirm your segments, that will update them into the TM.

If you have a lot of files, you can use a plugin to find and replace text in all fi
... See more
After you've made your changes in the TM, close the file in the editor, and pretranslate it. In the pretranslation settings, select Overwrite existing translation.

You can also just filter the file to view the segments with the term you are going to change, make your changes segment by segment, or with a find and replace, and then confirm your segments, that will update them into the TM.

If you have a lot of files, you can use a plugin to find and replace text in all files at once and then, do your proofing and confirm the segments, or just update main translation memories from batch tasks.

Hope this helps.
Collapse

Miguel Ríos
Miguel Ríos
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That seems to be the way to go Apr 28, 2015

All right, thank you very much, that will definitely help Elif and I.

Jaime, are we related or we just have the same looks?

Elif Baykara Narbay
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
Thanks, I totally forgot the pretranslate part :) Apr 28, 2015

Radioajo wrote:

All right, thank you very much, that will definitely help Elif and I.

Radioajo wrote:

Ha ha probably

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
trend Apr 29, 2015

It's probably just a fashion trend...

Miguel Ríos
Miguel Ríos
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Progress came down... then it went up! May 1, 2015

Well, I tried the pretranslate thing and it did get the target changed with the changes I had made to the Translation Memory.

I also noticed that progress had decreased from 31% to 26%, and I supposed the software wanted me to confirm a bunch of stuff... Well, it was just the figures, I confirmed the first one and then it started autopropagating for 3,000+ segments... I finished and then it wanted to do it again, and it happened a few times until I changed the autopropagate setting
... See more
Well, I tried the pretranslate thing and it did get the target changed with the changes I had made to the Translation Memory.

I also noticed that progress had decreased from 31% to 26%, and I supposed the software wanted me to confirm a bunch of stuff... Well, it was just the figures, I confirmed the first one and then it started autopropagating for 3,000+ segments... I finished and then it wanted to do it again, and it happened a few times until I changed the autopropagate settings and the last time it took longer but when it finished my progress was 33%...

Now the whole column between the two languages in the editor shows those nice looking green boxes with "CM" or "100%"...

I mean, this is awesome but I don't have the faintest idea what happened... Why just re-confirm the figures? Why did everything go green and sweet as if it was stoned? Why did my progress increase? Well, this one I believe it is because it went beyond the point where I am in the translation and applied context match to the rest of the figures

[Edited at 2015-05-01 04:02 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Send changes in Translation Units to the editor - Trados 2014

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »