Working with TTX files in Studio 2014: turning smart tag pairs into dumb tags in TM
Thread poster: eivind
eivind
eivind
Local time: 07:31
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Apr 29, 2015

I know it is 2015, but I unfortunately still have to work with a lot of TTX files. I have read about the option for smart tag pairing (Treat all inline tags as placeholders [disable smart tag pairing]), but since I need to deliver the TTX files the prospect of incompatibility has scared me from disabling this option. (I.e. enabling smart tag pairing; the double negative here is a bit confusing.)

When this option is disabled as per SDL's recommendations (I would insert a link, but th
... See more
I know it is 2015, but I unfortunately still have to work with a lot of TTX files. I have read about the option for smart tag pairing (Treat all inline tags as placeholders [disable smart tag pairing]), but since I need to deliver the TTX files the prospect of incompatibility has scared me from disabling this option. (I.e. enabling smart tag pairing; the double negative here is a bit confusing.)

When this option is disabled as per SDL's recommendations (I would insert a link, but the support site seems to be down), TMs don't work very well; none of those tag pairs in the TM get inserted, and I have to do a lot of tedious work inserting them manually. Selecting the option for working with TTX files when importing the TMX file (exported from Workbench) does not help.

I have been unable to find an option in the settings to ignore the type of tag when inserting TM matches.

How does everyone else deal with this? Do I just need to pre-translate my files in memoQ? Is there a way to turn those smart tag into dumb tags in the TM? Is smart tag pairing really that likely to cause issues?

Thank you for any help.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:31
English
This isn't a straighforward topic... Apr 30, 2015

... when you start to look at leverage as well from upgraded TMs. I think the best approach is this:

• Upgrade your old 2007 TMs using the TM Optimizer app. This should help with some the tagging differences caused in particular by working with the old Trados and Microsoft Word
    <... See more
... when you start to look at leverage as well from upgraded TMs. I think the best approach is this:

• Upgrade your old 2007 TMs using the TM Optimizer app. This should help with some the tagging differences caused in particular by working with the old Trados and Microsoft Word
  • Always make sure your TTX files are fully segmented
  • Always disable smart tag pairing (this is the default)
  • Consider disabling "Generate Document Structure Information" as this can improve performance when working with some TTX files

There is an article here which may be helpful too - Life without Trados!

To answer your question about smart tag pairing. In my opinion we should never have put this into the software in the first place. It serves no practical purpose other than to give you a slighly better wysiwyg experience and a less taggy environment. It does this by replacing placeholder tags incorrectly created by Trados with proper opening and closing tags. This means it can then hide them altogether in many places and you don't have to deal with them... but it also means that when the target file is created Trados gets a TTX that now uses opening and closing tags instead of the expected placeholder. This can lead to problems for the client using Trados because they can't clean the file up. It doesn't always cause a problem, but for TTX files created from XML files in particular it can do.

So always always make sure it's disabled as per the default... that would be my view.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

eivind
eivind
Local time: 07:31
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 4, 2015

Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful response.

I tried the TM optimizer, and it threw an error on one TM I tried it with; the other didn't really yield many updated TUs. It seems to be intended to clean up TUs from Workbench/Word rather than TagEditor – in the scenario described in the linked blog post it does seem to be very useful.

Going forward, when I have to deal with these files I suppose I can just include fuzzies when segmenting the files in Workbench an
... See more
Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful response.

I tried the TM optimizer, and it threw an error on one TM I tried it with; the other didn't really yield many updated TUs. It seems to be intended to clean up TUs from Workbench/Word rather than TagEditor – in the scenario described in the linked blog post it does seem to be very useful.

Going forward, when I have to deal with these files I suppose I can just include fuzzies when segmenting the files in Workbench and then not overwrite anything when preparing in Trados. I'll try to make an update as to how that goes for the benefit of anyone reading this in the future.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with TTX files in Studio 2014: turning smart tag pairs into dumb tags in TM

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »