Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jacques May 5, 2015

Jacques DP wrote:
I have a 25K-word alignment project to do...
I have about 20 files...

Well, 25 000 words isn't that much, so for that, I'd personally just use PlusTools. However, PlusTools can only handle one pair of files at a time (not sure if that is a problem, if you're going to be checking the files manually anyway). Also, PlusTools saves the TM in WF TM format, so you'd have to use a converter to convert it to e.g. TMX.

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Roy Oestensen wrote:
In the past Trans Suite had got an excellent review, but if it's still available I don't know.

The aligner was kind of OK back then, when the main alternative was WinAlign, but there are far better solutions nowadays, including free ones.

Yes.

But people who review aligners tend to fall into one of two categories: those who want a nice visual layout with lots of soothing graphical elements, and those who want more efficiency. Hence the excellent reviews that some of the less efficient tools get.

[Edited at 2015-05-05 11:18 GMT]

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
solutions May 7, 2015

Susan Welsh wrote:

I read the instructions (:-) and fixed the Russian capital letter problem very nicely (I'll send you the file).
But I just spend an hour manually editing the alignment of a 30K word document, so this is not good. The problems:
1. Many segments do not break after the full stop, including 2 sentences in a segment. However this is not consistent in the source and target cells.
2. Solving the problem by "splitting" the segments that contain two sentences only works if there is an empty cell below the active cell. Otherwise, the part that is split joins the text in the segment below, and you have to keep splitting ad infinitum, or until you reach an empty cell.
3. The only solution I found was, rather than splitting the cell that had too many sentences, to "merge" the cell that had only one sentence with the one below it. This worked, but was labor intensive.
4. After there was a problem of the above nature in the file, everything after that was screwed up -- i.e., the program did not correct itself and align the rest of the document properly. Instead, everything was one segment "off."
5. The "realign everything after the active segment" button in "Edit" didn't do anything.

Susan

If you got a perfect alignment of 30K words, (about 3000 segments) in an hour, I'd consider that a pretty good result. Anyway, specifics:

1. Could be the segmenter, but more likely hunalign concluded that 2 sentences in language A match up with 1 sentence in language B. It's usually correct. When it isn't, you have to correct it manually. In other words, it's a feature, not a bug.
2. Well, usually merging the second half of the segment with the next segment is the right solution. When not, use F8 (see the alignedit readme).
3. Idem.
4. If you shift one column by pressing F8 or making another similar change, you obviously have to do the same with the other column at the same row to keep the rest of the table correctly matched up.
5. That will run a new autoalignment on the remainder of the document. It's unlikely to produce visible changes unless you pushed the two columns out of sync, deleted significant portions of text or made some other major changes. Please re-test & check the console window for any error messages. The process could take a minute or two depending on file size.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:41
Russian to English
+ ...
@Farkas - segmentation on LF Aligner May 7, 2015

Thanks Farkas, F8 worked like a charm. (It is not one of the options on the Edit tab, BTW.)

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not there May 7, 2015

Susan Welsh wrote:

Thanks Farkas, F8 worked like a charm. (It is not one of the options on the Edit tab, BTW.)

No it isn't, but it's listed in the readme and in Help/Keyboard shortcuts, along with a couple of other keyboard shortcut operations.
It's a convenience method that combines two basic operations: split and shift down. You get the same result by pressing F4 (shift down) and then F2 (split).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best route for 25K-word alignment project

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »