Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 22:35
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
May 2, 2015

I have seen a lot mentioned regarding the use of SDL Language Cloud, and checking I see that the plugin is installed in Studio 2014.

But how do I know that I get the benefit of it, i.e. how do I actually use it? (Some instruction somewhere that I could be pointed to would be appreciated.)

One other question: Is it possible to use SDL Language Cloud with other CAT software too, for instance Dejavu?

I believe I am using the free subscription of the software,
... See more
I have seen a lot mentioned regarding the use of SDL Language Cloud, and checking I see that the plugin is installed in Studio 2014.

But how do I know that I get the benefit of it, i.e. how do I actually use it? (Some instruction somewhere that I could be pointed to would be appreciated.)

One other question: Is it possible to use SDL Language Cloud with other CAT software too, for instance Dejavu?

I believe I am using the free subscription of the software, by the way.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Using Language Cloud May 2, 2015

Hi Roy,

This is the SDL Machine Translation solution. So to use it in its basic form you just add it to your Project as a Translation Provider. So in the same place you add a Translation Memory you add a Machine Translation Provider.

Language Cloud can provide more benefits depending on the package you choose to take (so something more than the free MT). You can use a glossary of terms imported into your own Language Cloud account and this can ensure that the correct
... See more
Hi Roy,

This is the SDL Machine Translation solution. So to use it in its basic form you just add it to your Project as a Translation Provider. So in the same place you add a Translation Memory you add a Machine Translation Provider.

Language Cloud can provide more benefits depending on the package you choose to take (so something more than the free MT). You can use a glossary of terms imported into your own Language Cloud account and this can ensure that the correct translation of these terms is used instead of using Machine Translation. So it's a good way to ensure brand names are not translated for example. You cann test it with the months trial you get at the start and there is information on the website to explain how to do this. So in Studio File -> Options -> SDL Langauge Cloud

Maybe take a look at these youtube videos too as they'll give you a better overview and walkthrough:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmv11IvU4B8

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owv9Zb5_hJs

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDzrvRJgV6s

As for using it with DVX... the API for Language Cloud is all available so if Atril wanted to look at this they probably could add it. If they exposed their own API, as we do, then anyone could add it.

https://languagecloud.sdl.com/

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 2, 2015

Thanks a lot for your answer. With your help I found where to add the SDL Language Cloud. Will be interesting to see how much I will get out of it. I am very much in doubt if I actually want to upgrade the subscription to a paid one, as I thought it was somewhat pricey.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:35
Russian to English
+ ...
my (newbie) experience May 2, 2015

I am still on my 30-day free trial of the Language Cloud, and have so far found it very discouraging.
The free MT is terrible - nowhere near as good as the MT engines I use in my CAT tool of choice, OmegaT, which are Google Translate, Microsoft Translator, and Yandex.
I added GT, which is fine except I prefer to use the other two, which are free.
The only way to add Microsoft Translator is via a third-party application, which someone on this list mentioned: MtEnhanced. OK, so I
... See more
I am still on my 30-day free trial of the Language Cloud, and have so far found it very discouraging.
The free MT is terrible - nowhere near as good as the MT engines I use in my CAT tool of choice, OmegaT, which are Google Translate, Microsoft Translator, and Yandex.
I added GT, which is fine except I prefer to use the other two, which are free.
The only way to add Microsoft Translator is via a third-party application, which someone on this list mentioned: MtEnhanced. OK, so I have that now.
Yandex, which is by far the best for the RussianEnglish pair, is not offered.
The subject dictionaries offered are very limited in scope and do not exist in my subject areas for my language pairs. I have in any case not figured out how to get them to work.
I have not figured out how to get the MT engine to use my preferred translations for particular terms. I'll watch the video one more time (why don't they just write these things down???!!)
BTW, the first two videos on Paul's list are just promotionals. It's the third one that gives you some actual information.

I have had a license for Studio 2014 for about 6 weeks now, but have not used it for a single job, since in all cases I find OmegaT so much better. I bought Studio because many translation agencies require it and I thought it would have some useful additional capabilities. I'm sure it does (such as alignment), but so far I have not gotten any of them to work well.
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Studio still probably worth the investment May 2, 2015

If you translate Studio jobs in other tools, you always will run some risk that something goes wrong. I translate in DVX3 to the degree it's possible, but I always open the translated project in Studio to be certain the agency doesn't get any problems with the project when they open it. So even if you don't actually do the translation there, I would not take the chance that everything is OK without making a last check in Studio.

Regarding the MT, thanks for the input. I realise that
... See more
If you translate Studio jobs in other tools, you always will run some risk that something goes wrong. I translate in DVX3 to the degree it's possible, but I always open the translated project in Studio to be certain the agency doesn't get any problems with the project when they open it. So even if you don't actually do the translation there, I would not take the chance that everything is OK without making a last check in Studio.

Regarding the MT, thanks for the input. I realise that the free version will be limited, but I am very much in doubt if the paid version will be worth it in my case also - English to Norwegian. I get the impression that too is a rather limited combination.
Collapse

CherrieChen
CherrieChen
China
Local time: 04:35
Regarding machine translation Oct 28, 2016

I'd like to use SDL Language Cloud in WorldServer. And As I know, I need to upload an adapter to WorldServer for using machine translation. However, I'm confused that where can I download this adapter?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I use SDL Language Cloud?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »