Thread poster: Lingrus
Lingrus
Lingrus
German to Russian
+ ...
May 5, 2015

Dear all,

I am flabbergasted!
I am working with SDL Trados 2011 Professional (but I am quite sure the problem is the same in 2014).

So here is the problem:

I often receive technical documentation for translation (here: German to English).
The customer works in Word and includes drawings. Some parts of the drawings are numbered (with descriptions for the numbers given under the drawings).
The numbers are added in text boxes.

I
... See more
Dear all,

I am flabbergasted!
I am working with SDL Trados 2011 Professional (but I am quite sure the problem is the same in 2014).

So here is the problem:

I often receive technical documentation for translation (here: German to English).
The customer works in Word and includes drawings. Some parts of the drawings are numbered (with descriptions for the numbers given under the drawings).
The numbers are added in text boxes.

It looks more or less like this:

1 -------------------- [here is part 1 of the drawing]

2 -------------------- [here is part 2 of the drawing]

3 -------------------- [here is part 3 of the drawing]

4 -------------------- [here is part 4 of the drawing]

After translating the document, the same drawing/numbering, however, looks like this:

2 -------------------- [here is part 1 of the drawing]

4 -------------------- [here is part 2 of the drawing]

1 -------------------- [here is part 3 of the drawing]

3 -------------------- [here is part 4 of the drawing]

I.e. the numbers (and thus the descriptions given for the numbers under the drawing) do not match the corresponding parts of the drawing!!!

The same happens with abbreviations given the same way (e.g. for probes - LSH, LI, LSL, TI, etc.).

Is this a known issue and how can the problem be solved?

[Edited at 2015-05-05 08:21 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 22:10
English to Russian
Re: Trados rearranging numbers/abbreviations in text boxes May 5, 2015

Hello,

It's not clear where the numbers are -- in the same textboxes as the corresponding text or in separate textboxes. Textboxes are notorious for changing their position depending on the position of the paragraph they are anchored to, so this might be the explanation.

Can you post an excerpt from this Word document online somewhere?

Best regards,
Stanislav

Lingrus
Lingrus
German to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Example May 5, 2015

Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for your response.

Imagine you have a drawing like this one:
http://www.atmos.cz/germany/images/instalace-kotelny/01-samostatny-zasobnik-02.gif

It's all in Word. The numbers 1 - 6 you can see on the above drawing are placed in text boxes.

A usual Word table under the drawing gi
... See more
Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for your response.

Imagine you have a drawing like this one:
http://www.atmos.cz/germany/images/instalace-kotelny/01-samostatny-zasobnik-02.gif

It's all in Word. The numbers 1 - 6 you can see on the above drawing are placed in text boxes.

A usual Word table under the drawing gives the descriptions for these numbers 1 - 6.

After translating, the numbers 1 - 6 in the text boxes belonging to the drawing are completely rearranged (with the text boxes still in place, which is even more bewildering to me).

I. e. the original text box with number 1 is still in place, but it is number 4 now. The original number 3 is number 6 and so on. Therefore, the descriptions given under the drawing won't be correct (due to the wrong numbering).

Clearer now?
Collapse

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 22:10
English to Russian
Re: Example May 5, 2015

Thanks, this is clearer but the answer is still not in sight.

I think this is somehow related to the fact that the textboxes are anchored to a specific character (textboxes are sometimes anchored to a text character) or paragraph and as the text changes position during translation, the textboxes change position as well. The other explanation is a bug in Trados which places translations of the textboxes in incorrect pl
... See more
Thanks, this is clearer but the answer is still not in sight.

I think this is somehow related to the fact that the textboxes are anchored to a specific character (textboxes are sometimes anchored to a text character) or paragraph and as the text changes position during translation, the textboxes change position as well. The other explanation is a bug in Trados which places translations of the textboxes in incorrect places...

What I would try is hiding the contents of these textboxes using Word's Hidden font attribute (manually, by putting the focus into each box, pressing Ctrl+A and then applying the hidden font attribute). You can also do it differently - apply a highlight color to the main text and then use TransTools Hide / Unhide Text command to hide the numeric textboxes (http://translatortools.net/word-hideunhide.html). When you import the document into Trados, this text should no longer be presented for translation, which hopefully will resolve the problem. You will need to unhide all text when the final document is produced.

It would be curious to have a look at a sample - you can change some text if confidentiality is a concern.

Best regards,
Stanislav
Collapse

Lingrus
Lingrus
German to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hiding doesn't help May 5, 2015

Good idea... but, unfortunately, not successful.
I retranslated the file with the numbers hidden - the result is the same.

Then I removed the entire text from the file - there are only the drawings left and their numbering (in text boxes).

The same problem - after "translating" the document (there is actually nothing left to translate), the numbers are mixed up.

Confidentiality is not really an issue, I've talked to the customer about that. Since the
... See more
Good idea... but, unfortunately, not successful.
I retranslated the file with the numbers hidden - the result is the same.

Then I removed the entire text from the file - there are only the drawings left and their numbering (in text boxes).

The same problem - after "translating" the document (there is actually nothing left to translate), the numbers are mixed up.

Confidentiality is not really an issue, I've talked to the customer about that. Since the result is the same with only the drawings left, I wouldn't even have to disclose the text.
Collapse

Lingrus
Lingrus
German to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No problem with MemoQ May 5, 2015

Did the same thing with MemoQ now - no problem at all.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:10
English
It would be useful... May 5, 2015

... if you could share a sample file with this problem. Preferably just isolate the problem down to something like the video here where I am unable to reproduce this problem.

I put my email address below so if you can share something for me to use and understand what's happening it would be helpful I think.

Regards
... See more
... if you could share a sample file with this problem. Preferably just isolate the problem down to something like the video here where I am unable to reproduce this problem.

I put my email address below so if you can share something for me to use and understand what's happening it would be helpful I think.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]
Collapse

Lingrus
Lingrus
German to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Paul... May 5, 2015

...the files are on their way by email.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados rearranging numbers/abbreviations in text boxes

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »