Return an extra-licence Trados which went under with a PC/identifying that licence number
Thread poster: Renata von Koerber
Renata von Koerber
Renata von Koerber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:38
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
May 5, 2015

A few years a go, I bought a Trados 2009 Freelance plus Licence with an extra-Licence.
The second licence was on a notebook which was mostly dormant and has now gone under in an uncontrolled Windows-Crash- so I did not give back the licence.

As I want to use that licence on a new back up PC, I would like to perform an offline return of the extra licence.

My Problem: I cannot see in my account details which licence number I should be giving back. There is one Licen
... See more
A few years a go, I bought a Trados 2009 Freelance plus Licence with an extra-Licence.
The second licence was on a notebook which was mostly dormant and has now gone under in an uncontrolled Windows-Crash- so I did not give back the licence.

As I want to use that licence on a new back up PC, I would like to perform an offline return of the extra licence.

My Problem: I cannot see in my account details which licence number I should be giving back. There is one Licence which is listed and shows the updates up to 2014, so I know that's the one I need to keep.

Does the second /extra Licence have the same number, and if not, where do I find the other one? There is another number which looks like the right kind of number grouping, but it says that it is for Passolo 2011 ( I cannot remember activating that specific part of the software by itself).

I this has already been discussed here, I apologize, but I could not find a topic that covered my annoying problem.
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Check if your page online indicates more than 1 license May 5, 2015

If there are multiple lisences connected to the same lisence key, it should be indicated on your page. Currently the lisence should indicate 2 uses, so that you should be able to revoke 1 of them.

Renata von Koerber
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
looks as if you are right May 5, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:

If there are multiple lisences connected to the same lisence key, it should be indicated on your page. Currently the lisence should indicate 2 uses, so that you should be able to revoke 1 of them.

Dear Roy,
it says users- 1 | 1*, so that probably means 1 and 1.
So you are confident/in the know that they share one license number?

[Edited at 2015-05-05 18:30 GMT]

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Here is the way it is indicated in my profile. May 5, 2015

I have 1 SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance Plus license.
Users1|1 * In Use1|0* Available0|1* *Extra Activations

SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance
Users1|2 * In Use1|1* Available0|1* *Extra Activations

I am not totally sure how to interpret the above numbers, but I have 2 licenses for Trados 2007. From the above numbers it seems it says I have 1 activation in use, and 2 activations available in all.

Studio 2014: Here I have 1 license in use and a t
... See more
I have 1 SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance Plus license.
Users1|1 * In Use1|0* Available0|1* *Extra Activations

SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance
Users1|2 * In Use1|1* Available0|1* *Extra Activations

I am not totally sure how to interpret the above numbers, but I have 2 licenses for Trados 2007. From the above numbers it seems it says I have 1 activation in use, and 2 activations available in all.

Studio 2014: Here I have 1 license in use and a total of 1 available.

Hope the above is somewhat clear. If it doesn't agree with what you should have, you would have to contact the sales department at SDL, I think.
Collapse

Renata von Koerber
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Extra license indeed has the same license number to put in as the first one. May 7, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:

You were right!
All the other codes that showed in my SDL account were just activation codes that were created in the history of my upgrades, etc.
I gave back one license offline, and was able to activate it on the new PC.
Many thanks. I also followed your advice and asked my sales contact- maybe I missed something, but I could not find a way to inquire with SDL without subscribing to a support contract.
Maybe that will be contained in Studio 2015 (wishful thinking).

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Like this... May 7, 2015

... to contact the SDL licensing team.

Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder ( http://kb.sdl.com/?cid=23&tab=sf ) and now go here;

Licensing Problems
- I use SDL Trados Studio / SDL Passolo – 2011 or 2014
-- I need
... See more
... to contact the SDL licensing team.

Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder ( http://kb.sdl.com/?cid=23&tab=sf ) and now go here;

Licensing Problems
- I use SDL Trados Studio / SDL Passolo – 2011 or 2014
-- I need to have my license reset

Pick the correct route for you and if appropriate you will be presented with a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted, normally within a day.

Also use the Chrome browser to log the case if you have it; you'll get more success in completing the form, and make sure your email address is entered correctly or nobody will be able to get back in touch with you.

But you can reset your own license by using the Self Service option in your MySDL account for SDL Trados 2011 and SDL Trados Studio 2014.

Go to KB article #5196 ( http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=5196 ) and follow the instructions.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Renata von Koerber
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Finder May 7, 2015

Many thanks, Paul, for pointing this out.
I am glad we still have "real people" support.
Normally I am pretty good at researching way to get the right answers. I appreciate that a complex software with many versions creates complexity, but I wasn't getting to that specific path.
It probably isn't the logic of the site that's missing, but rather the interface which is not as self explanatory and intuitive as it could be.
But many thanks also that you keep an eye also what
... See more
Many thanks, Paul, for pointing this out.
I am glad we still have "real people" support.
Normally I am pretty good at researching way to get the right answers. I appreciate that a complex software with many versions creates complexity, but I wasn't getting to that specific path.
It probably isn't the logic of the site that's missing, but rather the interface which is not as self explanatory and intuitive as it could be.
But many thanks also that you keep an eye also what concerns we communicate in the forum.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Return an extra-licence Trados which went under with a PC/identifying that licence number

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »