Studio 2014 term recognition: target terms only shown for certain TBs (solved)
Thread poster: eivind
eivind
eivind
Local time: 04:55
English to Norwegian
+ ...
May 22, 2015

I have been experiencing a very odd but frustrating issue. It did not happen constantly, but seemed to be connected to importing Excel Termbases using Glossary Converter.

The issue manifested itself as Studio refusing to show target terms for certain terms if a certain TB was not set as the default. The source term would be recognised, and the term would be shown in Term Recognition with only the source, and not the target. Termbase Search would find the term. Setting the TB as the
... See more
I have been experiencing a very odd but frustrating issue. It did not happen constantly, but seemed to be connected to importing Excel Termbases using Glossary Converter.

The issue manifested itself as Studio refusing to show target terms for certain terms if a certain TB was not set as the default. The source term would be recognised, and the term would be shown in Term Recognition with only the source, and not the target. Termbase Search would find the term. Setting the TB as the default TB would resolve the issue, but then other TBs would exhibit the same behaviour.

After some experimentation, I found out that the issue is caused by the language field label used in the glossary file. I would receive Excel glossary files with the headers "ENG" and "NOR" (for example), and these were maintained after conversion in Glossary Converter and visible in MultiTerm and in Trados Studio under Project Settings > Language pairs > All Language Pairs > Termbases > Languages section > Termbase Language. Even though the internal language codes (EN-US and NO-NO) were identical to the other TBs, Term Recognition would only recognise one language field label for each language (as selected in the aforementioned Languages section).

After editing the Excel files manually to change the header to be identical to that used in my other TBs (in this case changing ENG to English (United States) and NOR to Norwegian (Bokmal) [sic, oops]) and converting again, the target terms became visible.

This was a very frustrating issue to troubleshoot, so I'm posting this topic in the hope that someone finds it useful.

By the way, does anyone have any idea why these language field labels are used in the first place? I suppose there must be some use case in which IETF codes are not sufficient.

And is there any other way to edit the language field labels in an sdltb file other than brute-forcing it with sed or similar? They seem to be greyed out for me in MultiTerm.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 term recognition: target terms only shown for certain TBs (solved)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »