Is it possible to create return package if no TM was sent?
Thread poster: Preston Decker
Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:37
Chinese to English
May 29, 2015

My partner and I are finishing up a project today. The client sent the project in packages, and said he wants a return package sent back for each. However, the "Create a return package" option is disabled in Trados at the moment for our translations (we can create a package, but not a return package). We've worked directly from the packages he sent (not the source file), and after some research, I'm wondering if the reason we can't create a return package is because the original packages each on... See more
My partner and I are finishing up a project today. The client sent the project in packages, and said he wants a return package sent back for each. However, the "Create a return package" option is disabled in Trados at the moment for our translations (we can create a package, but not a return package). We've worked directly from the packages he sent (not the source file), and after some research, I'm wondering if the reason we can't create a return package is because the original packages each only had a .doc.sdlxliff file inside (no separate TM files were included in the packages)?

I found a past forum post, and someone mentioned the lack of a TM as being a possibility for why 'create a return package might be disabled'(second to last post: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/221660-trados_2011_freelance:_cant_create_return_package.html).

Any thoughts? I'm wondering if the PM meant to say 'package' instead of 'return package' for the deliverables.
Collapse

Preston Decker
United States
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
And May 29, 2015

To simplify things, my question is:
1. Can you create a return package if the original package didn't contain a TM?
2. If yes, then any thoughts on why the 'create return package' option is not available?

Richard Lackey (X)
Richard Lackey (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
No TM shouldn't be a problem May 29, 2015

Hi Preston,

Yes, you can create a return package if the original package didn't contain a TM. I have worked on Studio packages that didn't have a TM so I don't think that is the problem. The packages I worked on were just small projects where the client didn't have a TM for that project yet.

Perhaps you should ask your client if they have had this problem before? I'm not really sure what the problem might be...

Failing all else, you could send the client th
... See more
Hi Preston,

Yes, you can create a return package if the original package didn't contain a TM. I have worked on Studio packages that didn't have a TM so I don't think that is the problem. The packages I worked on were just small projects where the client didn't have a TM for that project yet.

Perhaps you should ask your client if they have had this problem before? I'm not really sure what the problem might be...

Failing all else, you could send the client the sdlxliff files and target files.
Collapse

Preston Decker
United States
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem Solved May 29, 2015

Thank you Richard for the post. I started searching for other possible problems once you confirmed the TM shouldn't be an issue and have it figured out: we have three versions of the project. One is the original package file, and the other two are copies that we started working on from the package sdl file. The copies are not included in the original package, thus the problem. All we have to do is insert the TM into the original package file and we're good to go (not sure if that made any sense ... See more
Thank you Richard for the post. I started searching for other possible problems once you confirmed the TM shouldn't be an issue and have it figured out: we have three versions of the project. One is the original package file, and the other two are copies that we started working on from the package sdl file. The copies are not included in the original package, thus the problem. All we have to do is insert the TM into the original package file and we're good to go (not sure if that made any sense to anyone else, but main thing is that problem seems to be solved.)Collapse

Richard Lackey (X)
Richard Lackey (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good to hear! May 29, 2015

Glad you sorted the problem, Preston. It can be a real pain to come across such a problem just before delivering the file!

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 05:37
French to German
+ ...
A return package does not require any TM May 29, 2015

Preston Decker wrote:
1. Can you create a return package if the original package didn't contain a TM?

Preston

The question has already been answered, but I just want to confirm this and to point out that a "return package" does anyway not contain any TM nor termbase, even if such resources were present in the package you received.
A return package always contains only SDLXLIFF, source and target files.

Walter

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:37
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Do I understand it correctly? Jun 2, 2015

Walter Blaser wrote:
- a "return package" does anyway not contain any TM nor termbase, even if such resources were present in the package you received.
A return package always contains only SDLXLIFF, source and target files. -

As I read it, a returnpackage only consist out of a XLIFF file. Sorry, but if that is what you are saying, I disagree. Just open the package (which actually is no more then a zip-file), and have a look at what it contains.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to create return package if no TM was sent?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »