Trados 2007, Studio 2009 and 2011 - compatible with Windows 8.1 and 10?
Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 17, 2015

Well, that's the question in a nutshell. I'm fitting myself out with a new PC system, and it'll probably include either the 8.1 or 10 versions, or both. Is the entire SDL family compatible?

Thanks a lot.

Mervyn

Marta Maslowska
Marta Maslowska
Poland
Polish to Spanish
+ ...
Trados Studio 2011 compatible with Windows 8.1 Jun 17, 2015

Hi,
I have recently bought a new PC myself and have just installed my Trados Studio 2011. The installation went very smoothly and Trados worked fine from the very beginning, THE ONLY THING IS THAT afterwards, whenever I wanted to use MS Word (mine is the 2013 version) I would get a strange message about macros being disabled, and then a "compile error in hidden module" message.
This was pretty stressful, but I came across this great thread which helped me get rid of the problem.:
... See more
Hi,
I have recently bought a new PC myself and have just installed my Trados Studio 2011. The installation went very smoothly and Trados worked fine from the very beginning, THE ONLY THING IS THAT afterwards, whenever I wanted to use MS Word (mine is the 2013 version) I would get a strange message about macros being disabled, and then a "compile error in hidden module" message.
This was pretty stressful, but I came across this great thread which helped me get rid of the problem.:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_365hp-word/compile-error-in-hidden-module-mt-insert-functions/1ae88fda-a642-433b-9d0b-bbbe702b2c55

Apparently, the problem was caused by a multiterm9 file. I followed the instructions given by FlorentinoGutierrez in the last post of the thread and everything has been running great ever since.
That was the only issue for me, had no other problems.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ... Jun 17, 2015

... a lot, Marta. I suppose there may be glitches between one system and another, but all the OEMs like SDL and Windows people talk to each other anyway, and it's in their interests to make sure all their bits work with other people's bits, otherwise what's the point?

Mervyn

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL support non-functional Jun 18, 2015

Maybe I'm missing something here, and maybe I'm not entitled to support, but when I go to my account with SDL, none of the support buttons go anywhere.

I'd like confirmation from them that the 2007, 2009 and 2011 versions will work OK with 64-bit Windows 8.1 and Office 2010. Preferably without the suggestion of why not buy the 2014 or 2015 versions.

SDL support around there anywhere?

Mervyn

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'd still like ... Sep 8, 2015

... confirmation that 2007 Trados and Studios 2009 and 2011 will work OK with Windows 10.

Paul, or anyone?

Thanks,

Mervyn

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Can't confirm Sep 8, 2015

Hi Mervyn,

They may do, but we don't test these versions at all anymore unless it's to resolve a critical bug (and we would not even do this for 2007 or 2009), so I cannot confirm.

Studio 2014 and Studio 2015 work and are tested under W10.

I think your best bet is to hear from other users who may operate these in a W10 environment. Certainly I am aware of many users running Trados 2007 in this environment but have no idea if they had to do anything special
... See more
Hi Mervyn,

They may do, but we don't test these versions at all anymore unless it's to resolve a critical bug (and we would not even do this for 2007 or 2009), so I cannot confirm.

Studio 2014 and Studio 2015 work and are tested under W10.

I think your best bet is to hear from other users who may operate these in a W10 environment. Certainly I am aware of many users running Trados 2007 in this environment but have no idea if they had to do anything special to achieve this... although I think not.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

[Edited at 2015-09-08 16:04 GMT]
Collapse

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:08
English to Spanish
... Sep 8, 2015

If you are interested in running Trados 2007 on Windows 10, you can try running it in compatibility mode with Windows XP.

The same for other older programs.

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
No problem with 2011 Sep 8, 2015

and Win 10. For other family's members (2007 and 2009) I have no idea. Should work because they are running under Java (like 2011)...

Good luck!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
No they aren't! Sep 8, 2015

Adrien Esparron wrote:

Should work because they are running under Java (like 2011)...

They use a Java applet for some of the Multiterm integration but there is nothing else in the applications that runs on Java.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Adrien and Paul ... Sep 8, 2015

... I'll assume it's OK for 2009 and 2011 then. Nobody asks me for 2007 plus Tag Editor any more. Good riddance, as far as I'm concerned.

Best,

Mervyn

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
and ... Sep 8, 2015

... thanks Miguel, sorry, I noticed all these contributions a little late.

Best,

Mervyn

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Curiosity Sep 8, 2015

Why should you want to run 2009 and 2011 together? (2007 I understand, a totally different system)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Robert ... Nov 25, 2015

A good question, why have 2009 and 2011?

I was quite happy with silly old Tag Editor and Studio 2009, and then a very profitable customer asked me if I could use either 2011 or 2014, and I decided to buy 2011. I still use 2009 for various customers, but really 2009 is pretty redundant. But it's way faster going through 100% segments than 2011, curiously.

Going to do the big switch shortly to move everything under Microsoft 10, but I have compatibility questions about (
... See more

I was quite happy with silly old Tag Editor and Studio 2009, and then a very profitable customer asked me if I could use either 2011 or 2014, and I decided to buy 2011. I still use 2009 for various customers, but really 2009 is pretty redundant. But it's way faster going through 100% segments than 2011, curiously.

Going to do the big switch shortly to move everything under Microsoft 10, but I have compatibility questions about (yet) another translation programme I have to install (and learn) for another big customer (although it resembles Trados 2007, so it's a question of regression, not progress), so we'll see.

Best,

Mervyn
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Move up Nov 25, 2015

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Going to do the big switch shortly to move everything under Microsoft 10, but I have compatibility questions about (yet) another translation programme I have to install (and learn) for another big customer (although it resembles Trados 2007, so it's a question of regression, not progress), so we'll see.

Best,

Mervyn

Based on my last answer, forget my last answer.

Let me explain this enigma. Trados 2007 for a long time was my favorite CAT, even when I was already working with 2009 and 2011. Maybe I am one of those "traditional guys" that want to hang on what they know, but with 2014 I changed my strategy. Everything I can do in 2007, I can do in 2014 (probably also in 2009 and 2011, but I haven't got them anymore), and even more.

My advice would be: invest in 2015 (you can't buy 2014 anymore, but for the only fact that 2015 is slower then 2014, I don't see any differences, unless you are using all the new "rings and bells". I don't").

Furthermore, 2007 isn't supported anymore and doesn't work for a 100% on (my) Windows 7 and 8.1. For the odd client who wants his work done in Trados 2007 (they are still out there), I created a Linux computer with a virtual XP and 2007. Works as a charm.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007, Studio 2009 and 2011 - compatible with Windows 8.1 and 10?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »