Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
SDL should iron out problems in 2014 before expecting us to fork out again so soon after
Thread poster: William Pairman
William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:44
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Jun 23, 2015

My particular bugbear is the constant highlighting of typos with red underlining on text that is error free...

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/272290-text_incorrectly_spell_check_highlighted_in_studio_2014.html

I'm sure other users have their "favourites"

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Caused by copying source text? Jun 24, 2015

In my experience this only happens when I copy source text to the target text field and overwrite the source text. I.e. the language code causes the sguiggly red lines to appear as it identifies the target text as being in the wrong language. Solution: don't copy source text...

[Edited at 2015-06-24 05:43 GMT]

William Pairman
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
"Solution: don't copy source text" Jun 24, 2015

That has to be one of the poorest solutions ever suggested.

You're saying that the company producing this expensive software is not beholden to iron out a basic problem, but rather users should forsake an everyday translation tool (that the software in question plainly provides for) instead.

But anyway, my example was just one of many, as any glance at a forum such as this will attest to

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Why? Jun 24, 2015

William Pairman wrote:

That has to be one of the poorest solutions ever suggested.

If this is the reason then I think that's a very good suggestion. Clearly English source copied to a Chinese target (or any other language) is very likely to fail a spellcheck!

But perhaps you experience this in different circumstances? Can you share something I can look at?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:44
German to English
+ ...
It IS a poor suggestion Jun 24, 2015

In William's defense, this happens to me as well, and it is NOT caused by an incorrect source language in a target field! Just every now and then, Trados decides not to remove the red lines under a word. This usually happens to me with a word that is mispellt and corrected (but the lines never go away) or with a word that is correct but not in the dictionary, and when I add it to the dictionary or tell the software to "ignore all" it doesn't remove the red line.

Also, Gitte was not
... See more
In William's defense, this happens to me as well, and it is NOT caused by an incorrect source language in a target field! Just every now and then, Trados decides not to remove the red lines under a word. This usually happens to me with a word that is mispellt and corrected (but the lines never go away) or with a word that is correct but not in the dictionary, and when I add it to the dictionary or tell the software to "ignore all" it doesn't remove the red line.

Also, Gitte was not saying that this happens to her when she copies the source text and leaves it there -- she said it happens to her even after she overwrites the text! THAT is something that is ridiculous. Honestly what good is a CAT tool if you have to avoid ever copying the source text?!

But for me that's a minor issue. My biggest problem with Studio is that it is not very stable when merging and splitting segments, especially in larger files, and will sometimes crash. I've noticed that this tends to happen to me more often when I'm preparing a file: sometimes when I notice that sentences have been separated (because the source text overuses colons, for example, or has a high number of abbreviations ending in full stops) and there are a lot of reps, I will go through the file and merge segments before translating. Trados tends to crash if there is no translation in the segment before the segments I'm trying to merge. It might merge one or two fine, but inevitably it will crash before I've completed the task of merging all the segments I want to merge.

Another huge problem I have is that with very large files, the concordance function will stop working sometimes. All the right boxes are ticked in the project settings for the TM, and the term I'm searching for I KNOW for a fact is in the file and has been translated, but the concordance won't find it. I end up having to search for the term manually in the document. Kind of defeats the purpose of the concordance function...
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Not a good suggestion Jun 24, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

If this is the reason then I think that's a very good suggestion. Clearly English source copied to a Chinese target (or any other language) is very likely to fail a spellcheck!

I hadn't noticed that copying source to target might be the reason for all those false positives of the spelling checker, but if it is, refraining from using the copy source to target function certainly is NOT a viable suggestion. Why offer that function in the first place, then?

When do I use copy source to target? Usually when there are a lot of proper names, numbers, or tags in the source segment that will be tedious to reproduce in the target segment.

Btw, I think you're missing the point, Paul: The problem is not that source language words left in the target term will get the red lines. It's that perfectly spelled target language words get them.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Yes I am missing the point Jun 24, 2015

Clearly I read the post too quickly and missed the overwriting part. I've tried copying source to text and overwriting it and I don't get squiggly red lines left over in any text other than the text I have not overwritten yet. It sounds like it may be a refresh issue perhaps, but I don't know.

I know what is meant by this because I experience this same problem in other software applications from time to time (inconsistently there too) and it certainly is a bit irritating. But in
... See more
Clearly I read the post too quickly and missed the overwriting part. I've tried copying source to text and overwriting it and I don't get squiggly red lines left over in any text other than the text I have not overwritten yet. It sounds like it may be a refresh issue perhaps, but I don't know.

I know what is meant by this because I experience this same problem in other software applications from time to time (inconsistently there too) and it certainly is a bit irritating. But in order to fix anything we need to be able to reproduce it. I guess you could avoid it if it's persistent by turning off the automated check and run a spellcheck on the file afterwards... but clearly this is also a workaround.

On the splitting and merging, and concordance. The same thing applies, and we'll investigate every instance we can reproduce.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I get it too... Jun 24, 2015

after the sentence has been translated and there are no spelling mistakes or strange words... some words have the squiggly red line under them...

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
ok - so to be more helpful... Jun 24, 2015

... what language pairs (specific language pairs)? Which spell checker (hunspell or microsoft)?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

William Pairman
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Both spell checkers for me Jun 24, 2015

I work with Spanish > English. I'm waiting till it happens then I'll post a screengrab

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
ok, and when it happens... Jun 24, 2015

William Pairman wrote:

I work with Spanish > English. I'm waiting till it happens then I'll post a screengrab

... please let us know which flavour of Spanish, which flavour of English as well, and a sample of the text. Also what steps you took when this happened, just in case it only happens under specific circumstances.

Thanks

Paul
SDL Community Support

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
English > Italian Jun 24, 2015

But I don't get them all the time... occasionally, in some segments

[Edited at 2015-06-24 13:08 GMT]

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Speak of the devil... Jun 24, 2015

I'm having a major problem now, with this current project of 30,000 words. It's related to the concordance function issue. Every time I confirm a segment, it is NOT added to the TM.

Some background information:

- I'm using Trados Studio 2014 Professional, SP2 11.2.4409.10
- I'm running Windows 7 (but have also seen this problem occur in the past on my other computer which is Windows 8.1)
- The TM is a local TM saved on my computer's hard drive. The TM itself
... See more
I'm having a major problem now, with this current project of 30,000 words. It's related to the concordance function issue. Every time I confirm a segment, it is NOT added to the TM.

Some background information:

- I'm using Trados Studio 2014 Professional, SP2 11.2.4409.10
- I'm running Windows 7 (but have also seen this problem occur in the past on my other computer which is Windows 8.1)
- The TM is a local TM saved on my computer's hard drive. The TM itself is not massive (7089 translation units).
- The project contains 104 files in total, all of which are XML help files.
- The project is using a local termbase, also saved on my computer's hard drive.

I checked my keyboard shortcuts etc to see if something had changed, but everything looks normal. BUT the segments I'm confirming in this project are not being added to the TM!

I also tried removing the project, restarting my computer and then reopening the package and loading the project in Studio again. This did not resolve the problem.

This problem is not currently occurring in other projects loaded in the Studio projects view. But this problem is also not limited to this project here, as this has happened to me before.

Any ideas, Paul?

Edited to add:
I managed to workaround the problem by recreating the project from scratch instead of using my client's project package -- however this will be a bit of a hassle when it comes time to return the translation. Even if it's not the end of the world, it's still an issue that needs to be fixed. Also, I'm just lucky that I had all the files/TM/termbase etc. I needed to recreate the project... sometimes this happens to me in projects that I can't easily recreate!

[Edited at 2015-06-24 13:32 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Got time now? Jun 24, 2015

Angela Rimmer wrote:

Any ideas, Paul?

We can take a look over Skype perhaps and see why this is happenning? Drop me an email when you're available - [email protected]

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Agree that this happens but .... Jun 24, 2015

Hi William and all others affected by this nasty problem

I understand your frustration that a long-standing problem does not get fixed. I also confirm that the problem you mention does exist, I have experienced it myself and some other expert users have as well.

I can also tell you that we have informed SDL about this issue repetitively and that they are very well aware of it and even - and I believe this - willing to fix it.

Why haven't they done it yet?
... See more
Hi William and all others affected by this nasty problem

I understand your frustration that a long-standing problem does not get fixed. I also confirm that the problem you mention does exist, I have experienced it myself and some other expert users have as well.

I can also tell you that we have informed SDL about this issue repetitively and that they are very well aware of it and even - and I believe this - willing to fix it.

Why haven't they done it yet? The problem occurs very inconsistently and is not reproducible. Believe me, we have even tried to reproduce it in order to be able to give SDL sufficient data to fix the problem, but we have not been able to do so yet. It simply happens from time to time and no one knows why.

I know this does not solve your problem, but it may help you understand what is going on and have some more understanding for the situation.

Finally, I agree that the problem is annoying, but - to be honest - it is a minor one, as it does only marginally lower your productivity. So, let's have some patience, I am sure it will resolve one day.

Walter
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL should iron out problems in 2014 before expecting us to fork out again so soon after

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »