Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >
SDL Trados Studio 2015 has arrived! Your Studio, your way.
Thread poster: SDL_Dan
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:09
Finnish to French
Trial & activation Jul 8, 2015

CorbettAM wrote:
It is quite a chunk out of my pocket as I don't yet make much money in translation but I thought it is now or never.

If you had done your homework, you would have realized there are lots of alternatives that are more affordable.
CorbettAM wrote:
I am in the middle of downloading but I see in the instructions that it says the licence is only a trial and then after 30 days I have to PAY for it?

The installer you download is the same for everyone: freelancers, corporates, people just trying. It works as the Professional edition for 30 days, and turns into whatever you purchased (eg. Freelance edition) once you activate it. Just use your SDL account to activate the copy of the software you installed, no need to pay anything extra if you've already purchased your license.

Corbett AM
Corbett AM  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 09:09
French to English
+ ...
I did my homework thanks and thought Trados the best option Jul 8, 2015

Yes I did consider buying other software having looked at different options. I was just trying to say how much it meant to me (and my wallet) after procrastinating for so long.

I have been using another (free) software with certain agencies but that's not enough unfortunately, for me anyway.

As for the other part of your response, which was at least some bit helpful, thank you!!

wingman328
wingman328
Hong Kong
English to Chinese
+ ...
"Update from Reviewed Target File" does not work? Jul 9, 2015

I think my questions were skipped. Therefore I post it here again.

1) I have updated to Trados 2015.

Afterwards, I tried to update a file with the "Update from Reviewed Target File" Function. However, after I saved and imported the changes, the bilingual file shown in the Editor Mode has not changed at all. I searched in the TM and saw that the content was not changed either. I have followed the guidelines provided in SDL's website

May I know how I should
... See more
I think my questions were skipped. Therefore I post it here again.

1) I have updated to Trados 2015.

Afterwards, I tried to update a file with the "Update from Reviewed Target File" Function. However, after I saved and imported the changes, the bilingual file shown in the Editor Mode has not changed at all. I searched in the TM and saw that the content was not changed either. I have followed the guidelines provided in SDL's website

May I know how I should correctly update the TM from the reviewed target file?

2) When I tried to "Update from Reviewed Target File", I could adjust the scale between "tolerant" to "strict". To be honest, when I pre-ordered Trados 2015 I expected that it could 100% import all of the updates from the revised target file to the TM. I would like to ask: is the default "tolerance" setting the most preferable for updating? I would like to make sure that every change I have made is included in the TM as this will affect the quality of my jobs.

Thank you very much.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:09
English to Russian
Dominique, Jul 9, 2015

Dominique Pivrad wrote:
you can still keep 2011 after taking 2015 into use, so where's the problem?

The problem is that I had to return the 2011 license before I got the 2014 license. It worked in this way before, and I expected the same behavior this time.
Plus, the step-by-step instructions from SDL also said that I had to deactivate the previous version. I quoted this step instruction in my earlier post, but it was removed instead of answering...
Plus, when you upgrade the license, it replaces the 2014 license with the 2015 one.
So I deactivated the previous versions and upgraded the license as I was instructed by SDL. No way back from this point.
I expected that they would give me the 2014 license back after upgrading as they did with previous updates. But they did not. If their policies changed since that time, it would be nice of them to warn me before I bought the software.

Well, ok. Let's forget about this "minor" misunderstanding. Now the next question is as follows:

As I paid for my 2015 copy, I expect to have fully functional software... Am I right or am I right?
Then why on earth I download a plugin, launch it, and it returns me an empty wizard window without any navigation buttons? I just cannot use the Sdl.Community.Jobs.Plugin because it does not work. I tried different machines, different browsers, different ways of installation. To no avail.
I also asked this question but it was ignored again. See: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/286805-jobs_plugin_for_studio_2014.html

Are you still asking "where's the problem?"

[Edited at 2015-07-09 13:36 GMT]

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:09
English to German
I second this... Jul 9, 2015

Geneviève von Levetzow wrote:

Please... The new color scheme is not so clearly visible.

Geneviève

Please add some more color schemes, emphasis on "color"

The new "all the same color" design (or actually "all without any color") might be hip, but to me it's very inconvenient. For example, the scroll bar in the Termbase Viewer is completely invisible.

Thanks and regards,
Stefan

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:09
English to German
New to Trados Jul 9, 2015

But the Preview option doesn't appear to work with Word 2013? I do find this odd.

Also, I did find it quite time consuming to get the basics set up how I want them, e.g. import my TM, connecting MT option (only Language Cloud worked, all others asked for API keys, server information...).

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Retrofit step by step Jul 10, 2015

wingman328 wrote:

May I know how I should correctly update the TM from the reviewed target file? (...) Is the default "tolerance" setting the most preferable for updating?

I've just blogged about Retrofit (and other features) here:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2015/07/10/studio-2015-ii/

Hope this helps!

[Edited at 2015-07-10 09:40 GMT]

wingman328
wingman328
Hong Kong
English to Chinese
+ ...
Problem solved Jul 10, 2015

Dear Emma,

Thank you for your detailed explanation. The problem is finally solved!

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

wingman328 wrote:

May I know how I should correctly update the TM from the reviewed target file?
the default "tolerance" setting the most preferable for updating?

I've just blogged about Retrofit (and other features) here:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2015/07/10/studio-2015-ii/

Hope this helps! [/quote]

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
New bug Jul 16, 2015

Hello,

The conversion of normal PDF's is a nightmare: As exemple:

With the 2014 Studio Version:
Einlegeleuchte für Decken mit sichtbaren tragschienen. Geeignet zum Einbau in Decken * * mit geringen Zwischenhöhen. Mit separat zu bestellendem Zubehör für den Einbau in gesägte Deckenöffnungen geeignet (M84).
The only error is with the white spaces too much.

With the 2015 Studio Version:
Ein*f*egeleuchte für Decken mit sichtbaren
... See more
Hello,

The conversion of normal PDF's is a nightmare: As exemple:

With the 2014 Studio Version:
Einlegeleuchte für Decken mit sichtbaren tragschienen. Geeignet zum Einbau in Decken * * mit geringen Zwischenhöhen. Mit separat zu bestellendem Zubehör für den Einbau in gesägte Deckenöffnungen geeignet (M84).
The only error is with the white spaces too much.

With the 2015 Studio Version:
Ein*f*egeleuchte für Decken mit sichtbaren Tragsch**ienen. Geeig*net zum Einbau in Decken mit geringen Zwischen*höhen. Mit sepa*rat zu * [Hard return]
bestellende*m Zu behör für den Einba*u in g*esägte [Hard return]
Deckenöffnungen geeig*net (M84].
Errors with the "l" (I have the variants "!" "f" "i" and others)
White spaces in words: Zwischen höhen and not Zwischenhöhen

It is absolutely not possible to work with the document.

My parameters for the PDF's conversion are the same in the 2014 and 2015 versions.

Regards,

Geneviève
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
PDF settings Jul 16, 2015

Geneviève von Levetzow wrote:

My parameters for the PDF's conversion are the same in the 2014 and 2015 versions.

Regards,

Geneviève

In your project settings, check that 'Recognise PDF text' is set to 'None' here:
Project settings>File Types>PDF>Converter

This is the best setting for editable PDFs.

For more details on PDF file type settings, you might be interested to read my blog post:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2015/07/03/studio-2015-i/

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
Thanks! Jul 16, 2015

Emma,

"None" was the solution!

Regards,

Geneviève

Brian Jones (X)
Brian Jones (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:09
French to English
"Smart" apostrophes/quotes Jul 23, 2015

I've had the trial version for around 24 hours, and I can already see smoother performance. It seems much faster (although I've yet to try auto-propagating numbers, which has always been a major headache). I've also received only one cryptic error message so far, which is far better than my experience in Studio 2014: object reference not set to an instance of an object, missing carriage return tag, something about jets, etc. every single day.

I'm glad to see that quotes/apost
... See more
I've had the trial version for around 24 hours, and I can already see smoother performance. It seems much faster (although I've yet to try auto-propagating numbers, which has always been a major headache). I've also received only one cryptic error message so far, which is far better than my experience in Studio 2014: object reference not set to an instance of an object, missing carriage return tag, something about jets, etc. every single day.

I'm glad to see that quotes/apostrophes automatically become "smart" when they are typed. However, the trade-off is an annoying bug.

I use the United States-International keyboard so that I can type French diacritics much more efficiently. For example, if you hit the apostrophe key followed by e, you get é. If you hit the apostrophe key followed by s, you get 's. This has worked fine for years.

However, in Studio 2015, if you use this keyboard layout to try to type Jack's trumpet, the cursor goes back before the s. Thus, if you're not careful, the result will be Jack’ trumpets. The only way I've found around this is to hit the space bar after every instance of the apostrophe. This also happens with quotation marks.

It's a minor annoyance that will require some adjustment on my part, but I thought I should point it out.
Collapse

_stephan
_stephan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Smart Quotes Toggle Jul 23, 2015

Brian Jones wrote:

I'm glad to see that quotes/apostrophes automatically become "smart" when they are typed.

Actually I'd like to see a toggle button for this in the ribbon. My smart/dumb preference is highly dependent on what I'm translating. Plus the other day a French colleague mentioned that the smart quotes aren't context-sensitive. When she has them enabled, she can't type numbers followed by an inch symbol anymore because they're always rendered as French quotation marks. I'm also glad the feature does exist now, but the checkbox is too deep inside the system to make it really useful for some people.

When I realise too late that I have the wrong setting for my current project, I often go the search and replace route post translation, which is what I've done in 2014, too.

Brian Jones (X)
Brian Jones (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:09
French to English
Smart quotes Jul 23, 2015

_stephan wrote:

Actually I'd like to see a toggle button for this in the ribbon. My smart/dumb preference is highly dependent on what I'm translating.

That's a good point. Now that I've used the new version for a few more hours, I'm becoming increasingly annoyed by how the program latches onto quotation marks in the middle of sentences and suddenly moves the cursor to those locations.

Perhaps it would have been better to create a button that magically changes all quotes throughout the document into smart quotes instantly or as part of the QA verification.

As for my previous comment about the decreased number of errors, about 10 minutes after I submitted my post, I got yet another "object...instance...blah blah" error. Not good.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Smart quotes Jul 23, 2015

I have not yet tried this, but I hope the smart quotes are language dependant. Norwegian follows the French quotes « and », and so changing straight quote to curly English quotes would not make much help. It would also be important to distinguish between quotes and inches. So some toggle for turning it on and off would make sense.
Roy

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2015 has arrived! Your Studio, your way.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »